SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is this insect, moth, butterfly?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this insect, moth, butterfly? Login/Join 
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted
I thought it was a leaf stuck on the wall.

On further inspection it’s ALIVE!!!

It's 2.5"- 3" long and wide

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PR64,

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3474 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
B-1 Stealth Bomber moth

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
It is definitely a moth.

It looks like a hummingbird moth to me.

When they are flying, they look ASTONISHINGLY like a hummingbird.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
looks like something out of Star Wars.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Could be an Achemon Sphinx moth (Eumorpha achemon). Native to North America.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
It's definitely a moth.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Could be an Achemon Sphinx moth (Eumorpha achemon). Native to North America.

That’s it!

You nailed it.

It’s still resting on my backyard wall.

I have never seen one before today.

SIGforum knowledge is always amazing.

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3474 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My major was Biology. Had to identify these things before we had Internet!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boy, that’s a lost way of thinking.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
bing giant wood moth for a larger version.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I actually thought it might be a wood moth at first, but then realized the OP is in California, not Australia.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I’m your neighbor kkina in the East Bay Tri Valley.

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Ah...I used to shoot in the East Bay, at Chabot until they closed it down. Frown

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Ah, not the same as a hummingbird moth, but hummingbird moths are also in the sphinx moth family.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ah...I used to shoot in the East Bay, at Chabot until they closed it down. Frown

I shoot at the Livermore Pleasanton Rod and Gun Club.

It has gotten a bit more crowded after the Chabot and Concord range closures.

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I was going to post 'sphinx moth' but kkina was quicker and more specific. Last year a very steampunk caterpiller was found at casa kablammo munching on moonflower vines. It was likely a Five Spotted Hawk moth.

PR64, if it is not too much trouble please plant some flowers and host plants for the sphinx moths. The sphinx moths like nightshade plants; tomatoes, green peppers, moonflowers, and related. Its a very different intention for gardening but rewarding in the evenings watching the moths flit about.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I used to shoot at Chabot and Livermore/Pleasanton, until I left for a free state.

Looks like the moth than haunts Clarice Starling.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:

I grew up shooting at Chabot, closest range to Orinda, where we lived. 1970s - 1980s. Sad to see it go

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
It’ll grow up to be a prophecy Wink

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
quote:

I shoot at the Livermore Pleasanton Rod and Gun Club.

It has gotten a bit more crowded after the Chabot and Concord range closures.

Then they shut down Jackson Arms in South San Francisco (I think the owner retired). Now I have to drive 40 miles to Los Altos to shoot handguns or rifles.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."