SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendation for a tourniquet, IFAK?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for a tourniquet, IFAK? Login/Join 
posted
I would like to buy a couple of tourniquets, also an IFAK to take to the range. Any recommendations?

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://darkangelmedical.com/

I have 2 of their DARK Gen3 Kits, one in my range bag and one in the vehicle

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 for DarkAngel. They will replace what you use for no charge.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
I would like to buy a couple of tourniquets, also an IFAK to take to the range. Any recommendations?
Build your own kit.

For something not carried on your person, but hanging on a range bag, you should have, and know how to use (minimums):
1 or 2: North American Rescue CAT Tourniquet(s)
1 or 2 pair: Chest Seals (HyFin is what I use)
1: Nasopharyngeal Airway
1: Set of trauma sheers. (these don't need to be fancy, and you can find some for about $10)
1 or 2: rolls of sterile gauze, such as the NAR rolled gauze or a Z-Pack (4"x4yds)
2: pair surgical gloves
1: headlamp, in case you are in a "cold" area while treating injuries in a dark location. Allows you to have light, and two hands free.
1 or 2 "space blankets" for treating shock.

Nice, but not absolutely necessary are 1 or 2 compression bandages, such as an Israeli bandage or an H-Bandage. Also, some duct tape. I a few yards and wrap it around an old starbucks gift card, so it's nice and compact.

Unless you have a compelling reason to need the kit to be somewhat "covert," I suggest you put it in a brightly colored bag, and marked with a "red cross" in case you are the injured party. That way others can easily ID it as the trauma kit. Here is what I use: https://www.amazon.com/Tactica...U/ref=cm_rdp_product

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I am far from an expert but the two that always seem to come out on top in testing and that generally get recommended online are the SOFTT and the CAT. I have a couple of the CAT ones. Never had to use one in anger, but playing with it, they seem solid and easy to use.

If you want a gunshot trauma type IFAK rather than a boo-boo kit, you probably want vented chest seals (HALO seems to come out on top in testing as far as staying stuck on when you stick them on a hairy person covered in blood), a compression bandage or two (e.g. Israeli bandage), and rolled or Z-folded gauze for wound packing. Z-folded is a lot easier to use, especially one-handed. Quikclot gauze isn't a bad idea for this but it is expensive - one package of Z-folded Quikclot gauze (4 yards by 3" wide) is about $40. You can get similar vacuum-sealed rolls of regular gauze for about $2.

Some 4"x4" gauze pads are a good idea. Maybe a self-adhesive wrap (e.g. Coflex or vet wrap - a roll of stretchy fabric that sticks to itself). Maybe a triangular bandage.

You also would definitely want surgical tape, EMT shears, and several pairs of latex or nitrile gloves (preference to nitrile - a lot of people have latex allergies).

If you want something to wear on a belt or attach to a MOLLE panel on a case or something, the Blue Force Gear Trauma Kit Now pouch is really cool. It looks like a normal MOLLE pouch but to open it you just grab the top flap and yank - the whole inside of the pouch comes completely out, detached from the part attached to the belt or case, flips open, and you have a big flat panel with all your supplies readily accessible. You can have it out of the pouch and laid out where you need it in 2-3 seconds.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CAT is what all others are measured against, the gold standard. Its a windlass type tourniquet. The SOFTT-T is also a good one to consider.

SWAT-T is pretty handy for EDC, low-profile carry.

Make sure you familiarize yourself with the devices, how they work and why they work. It's easy to gather-up a bunch of gear but, when the blood starts spurting, and everything becomes super slippery, you need to make sure you apply that tourniquet correctly and effectively.

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigredfish:
http://darkangelmedical.com/

I have 2 of their DARK Gen3 Kits, one in my range bag and one in the vehicle

Steve,
darkangelmedical also has excellent classes on using the gear. Get on their mailing list, it seems like they always have some kind of sale going.

Keep grinning,

-Nick

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I prefer the CAT T. Can be used one handed, and is easy to deploy.

Just make sure you get the real one, not a knock off, there are plenty of knock offs on ebay and amazon... The real ones will be 25 to 30 bucks.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CAT tourniquet is widely regarded as the gold standard.

I'll also agree with maladat & DMF's recommendations above.

Above all else, be sure to have the knowledge and training!!
The gear is secondary b

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. i viewed again the video of a police shooting in Las Vegas, where the suspects left leg was spurting out blood FAST. I then realized that I was not fully prepared...things can happen when you least expect it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv-YU19s4S4

This message has been edited. Last edited by: c1steve,

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
SWAT-T is pretty handy for EDC, low-profile carry.

If space is a concern, the SWAT-T is a good option. I carry a Dark Angel mini-pocket kit that includes the SWAT-T, among other items.

It's a little trickier, but the SWAT-T can be applied one-handed with a little practice. I bought a second SWAT-T to use for that purpose.

One more thing to think about. Nobody wants to consider this, but the SWAT-T will work on children when other tourniquets won't.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Vetwrap is handy to have in a first aid kit. Even though 3M makes both Vetwrap and the self-adhesive Ace bandage, the Vetwrap is cheaper and works 10 times better. It's kind of like duct tape, having many uses, such applying pressure to a wound, fashioning a splint, wrapping a sprained joint, etc.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
One more thing to think about. Nobody wants to consider this, but the SWAT-T will work on children when other tourniquets won't.

Great point and something that usually is overlooked for mil work but, for LEO and Civ it's a reality.

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
just to be clear... is this the Tourniquet that I want, or is there something better?

https://www.amazon.com/CAT-Com...id=1629068088&sr=8-6

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10916 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I prefer the SOFTT-W Tourniquet vs. the CAT

https://www.rescue-essentials....ration-4-tourniquet/

A SWAT-T is definitely good to have in your kit as well...Just in case

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8876 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Another +1 for Dark Angel. Also, their DART class is an excellent investment.

I've got numerous kits from different vendors. I think they're usually good places to start, but I'll cram my own extras in each one.

I've got Dark Angel HEDR and North American Rescue kits in my car; T-Rex and Blue Force Gear on my belts and a Ferro Concepts Roll on my plate carrier. Also have the Dark Angel ankle kit.

And, quite frankly, I've got other stuff just jammed into a ziploc bag in my range bag as a supplement, since at least one belt usually goes with me to the range.

All of those kits usually have the same starting bits, then I supplement an extra chest seal, extra trauma dressing, some z-fold gauze, etc.

Only thing I'd "avoid" is a decompression needle. Many of the kits come with them, but, unless you're paramedic trained, leave it at home. If you do something invasive like chest decompression, you may well not be covered by Good Samaritan laws if you screw up.

Finally, Dark Angel is a great source for the individual components (they're always running some sale or other), but I also like Skinny Medic. He's got some great videos on Youtube as well.

I would NOT ever buy a TQ from Amazon or Ebay or similar. You could get Chinese bullshit. Buy from a reputable place like Dark Angel, NAR, Skinny Medic, etc.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Sam XT

The Swat-T will fit in a small space, but it's a compromise. I have a couple- one of them sits in a pouch of my magazine bandolier. A great backup tourniquet, but that's all- a backup.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
CAT T-one or two (I have one each car and one in my gun bag)

Roll or two of gause-enough to go around a good sized human chest

4x4 pads.- Three or four inches thick, depending on where you buy them they come in different packages

Trauma scissors to remove clothing

The headlamp is a great idea

Other than that, you should be on the way to the ER.

The military type bandages are OK but they are usually expensive and 4x4s get the job done much cheaper.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're going the "build your own" route, or you decide to buy one and add to it, toss in 2 Isrelli Bandages!

Here's another little "pro-tip"-
I use yellow duct tape, some use red.

The "rip open" bags (hermetically sealed stuff with the small cut already made into the bag, so you can quickly open the bag)...
I take a small piece of duct tape and make a tab on the top and bottom of the small cut.
For a few reasons:
You're probably going to be under a little stress whe you have to use this. The situation you're probably going to be in is going to be less than favorable. Your fine motor skills are probably going to be shitty. It's probably going to be dark, possibly wet, and heaven forbid cold too.

You can quickly locate the tabs and rip open the sealed bag and get out life saving shit instead of looking like some epileptic piedgon waiving "Hi".

A few 4x4's and at least two 6x6's. You can use a bigger band aid on a smaller wound, but a smaller band aid on a bigger wound doesn't work too good!

A roll or two of gauze.

The head lamp was mentioned, which is a great idea! Any form of light!!! Flashlight...

I also like a smaller leatherman (or any good multi tool) in addition to a good set of trauma shears.

You're gonna laugh, but I have a few tampons in mine.... Now that you're done laughing, what do tampons do? They plug bloody holes.

I'm sure Chongo is going to be by soon and drop a ton of wisdom in here.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
these are USGI. have the long 'tails' to be able to tie

i keep several on hand

https://www.mcguirearmynavy.co...eld-dressing-bandage

----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post