SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Construction design question. Small structure.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Construction design question. Small structure. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I have some idea's but am looking for some thoughts.

How small of a structure can I build and have an actual stair case to a loft or second story.

Moreover have a open ceiling in the front third or half and the loft or second story on the back half.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for practical or legal advice (as to what is required for a building permit)?

From a practical point of view, I'd say a cube 20' on a side might work.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a bit confusing to me. how small in what way. If you want stairs the two nominal code issues that I think will drive the design are the 36" wide and 6'8" height above. I don't think there are any other clearance requirements, but I'm not an design guy. So put the stairs on one wall and come over 3 feet and the rest is up to you in footprint. But it would be an odd situation in most jurisdictions that the code didn't require a whole bunch more, but without some idea of the baseline code its hard to say much more.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I have no idea, but I just learned of a website, just do internet search for "sketch up" and you can do a lot for free.

I was just watching a guy working on converting a cargo trailer to some sort of home made RV and he was using sketch up to see how things would lay out and work out before picking up any tools.

You might poke around with it and see if you can draw something out.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Really no legal or code advice needed. I was thinking 20'x?.
Front door in the middle, Staircase on one wall. A woodstove in the other corner.

Once at the the top of the stairs would have a landing. With a wall behind it with a door and a 10x20 room. Or something there about.

I wonder about a 16x? building with the entry door on the side with the stove and the staircase on the other wall. With a 16x10 room upstairs?

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Cool fort. How do we join the club?

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I've been out of it for a while, but I seem to remember 7" rise and 11" run for stairs. Then you'll need at least 3' for a landing at each end. Your ceiling height will determine the overall length of the stairs.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Can you do a spiral staircase?
I would think that could keep your footprint small.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife’s studio is 20’x35’. It is a good size room with a loft covering half the space (about 20x17). Steps go against an end wall. In our case the room is still one story with the roof pitch (6/12) defining the space in the loft.

I think our code required something like 7’ minimum height to be classified as “living space” so ours is not and it is considered storage. It is high enough to stand in the middle (under the ridge). I am sure with a mattress kids would love it as a sleeping loft.

The other end of the room is clear to the rafters and that is where the wood stove is located. Her space, as noted, is a studio but it could easily become an in-laws apartment, a game room, den, etc. In our case we like covered porches, so the entire studio is surrounded with covered porch.

Your structure could be a little taller and have dormers for windows. It could, if desired, still look like one story.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys. That is helpful. After some additional thought 16x30' would work but be small for sure. The extra room upstairs would make it doable.
A 20x30' thirty foot print would be more a desirable size for sure. Making it a true two story would allow to expend it by eventually adding 12x30' extensions. At least on one side.

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Thinking outside "the box..." Smile Seems like you could minimize the footprint, and volume with a cylindrical or octagonal design with the staircase carried against the outside wall (like a lighthouse).

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Thinking outside "the box..." Smile Seems like you could minimize the footprint, and volume with a cylindrical or octagonal design with the staircase carried against the outside wall (like a lighthouse).

Ah, sorry Arch. That ain't happening Wink

posted Hide Post
ORG, A few thoughts on your structure. Assuming a 7-1/2" Rise and an 11" run, If you have an 96" ceiling and 10" Floor thickness; you'll need a footprint of roughly 3' x 18' for a staircase. This assumes a landing of 36" x 36" at the top and bottom. So a 20' x 30' structure should work.

I'd make it 20 x 32 though, no sense in cutting the 4x8 sheets of plywood.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Code varies by state. In VA the steepest staircase has an 8 1/4” rise with a 9” run.

Having said that it will feel steep. Our experience is that we try to get a 7” rise with an 11” step. This will feel “natural”.

Having said that if you have a 10 foot total height difference (120 inches) will result in about 17 steps or 187”.

Just make sure you have adequate headroom (6’-8”) along the whole staircase.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post