SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein arrested and charged with sex trafficking
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein arrested and charged with sex trafficking Login/Join 
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
Lawyers for Jeffrey Epstein were "not satisfied" with the autopsy results

They had their own guy there. In fact, their guy was one of the best in the business.

What's missing is whether or not he as satisfied with the results. Perhaps they aren't satisfied because he disagrees with the findings.

Answer: Billable hours.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Report This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
Lawyers for Jeffrey Epstein were "not satisfied" with the autopsy results

They had their own guy there. In fact, their guy was one of the best in the business.

What's missing is whether or not he as satisfied with the results. Perhaps they aren't satisfied because he disagrees with the findings.

Answer: Billable hours.

Surely Epstein has (had) these guys on retainer, right? They still get billable hours?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surely Epstein has (had) these guys on retainer, right? They still get billable hours?

It depends. Lump sum retainer and billable hours are used until it is exhausted and then more money. I am not familiar with Steptoe and Johnson. Clearly out of my price range. Different prices for different lawyers. Partners charge more than first year associates.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Will there be details in the report on the general health and strength of Epstein's geriatric musculoskeletal system?

Were his hyoid bones easier to fracture because of age-related osteoporosis?

He had to get down on his knees to get enough asphyxiating tension on the bed-sheet loop around his throat, from where it was tied to the bedframe.

He must have thrashed and kicked against the wall with his legs to get that much force on the noose, like a hare thrashing in a snare and fatally breaking its neck.

But then, rabbits as a prey-species have easy-to-fracture spines.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Maybe the lawyers are afraid they're not going to get paid (or laid) now.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe the lawyers are afraid they're not going to get paid (or laid) now

Doubtful. Lawyers and Prostitutes get their money upfront, contingency lawyers are the exception.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lawyers and Prostitutes get their money upfront, contingency lawyers are the exception.

They are setting up a wrongful death claim against the .gov. That may well be on a contingency...

A document filed last month by Epstein's lawyers listed his total assets at about $559 million. If his estate successfully wins a wrongful death suit, the disgraced financier could be worth even more.

What happens next with his assets, however, could be "incredibly complicated," David Ring, a Los Angeles-based attorney who represents victims of sexual abuse, told Bloomberg.

"It's going to be a lot of different folks who are going to be battling over this estate and these assets and I hope the victims come out on top. I think they deserve it," he said. "But I don't think the estate is just going to hand it over to them."

https://www.businessinsider.co...in-for-estate-2019-8

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Were his hyoid bones easier to fracture because of age-related osteoporosis?

Doubtful. Male sex under 70, but could be disputed by a recent bone density scan. Ask Michael Baden he will know.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And how will the conspiracy theorists explain this?

Epstein signed will 2 days before suicide, report says

Let's see: not his signature- a forgery; his signature, but coerced to sign; mere coincidence; complete fabrication by the investigators who issued the report because they are part of the conspiracy; the investigators are somehow mistaken, and on and on. Gotta be some kind of explanation for how this was timed with his MURDER.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Lawyers and Prostitutes get their money upfront, contingency lawyers are the exception.

They are setting up a wrongful death claim against the .gov. That may well be on a contingency...

A document filed last month by Epstein's lawyers listed his total assets at about $559 million. If his estate successfully wins a wrongful death suit, the disgraced financier could be worth even more.

What happens next with his assets, however, could be "incredibly complicated," David Ring, a Los Angeles-based attorney who represents victims of sexual abuse, told Bloomberg.

"It's going to be a lot of different folks who are going to be battling over this estate and these assets and I hope the victims come out on top. I think they deserve it," he said. "But I don't think the estate is just going to hand it over to them."

https://www.businessinsider.co...in-for-estate-2019-8

He's dead. How can they sue a dead man? I assume his assets go to named beneficiaries?

Can you sue someone who has no ability to defend themselves? Are they taking the estate to court? If so, aren't they separate entries? Is the estate responsible for a crime that was never adjudicated,?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
The sometimes funny Norm MacDonald said this today:

"a man is a coin, no obverse without reverse. If you like, remember Jeff Epstein as monster, destroying lives with a wicked nonchalance. But, for me , I will remember him as the man who killed Jeff Epstein."

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Norm is always funny. It's just that sometmes, people don't know it.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I wonder who will get the 'portrait' of Bill Clinton in the blue dress???

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
He's dead. How can they sue a dead man? I assume his assets go to named beneficiaries?

Can you sue someone who has no ability to defend themselves? Are they taking the estate to court? If so, aren't they separate entries? Is the estate responsible for a crime that was never adjudicated,?

The estate exists as a legal mechanism to pay off the dead man's debts (which includes fines and court awards) and distribute anything left over. No, an estate can't be tried for a crime or put in jail on behalf of a dead man who committed a crime. Yes, you can sue against an estate - and if a lawyer wants to argue that the dead guy isn't there to defend himself, said lawyer can, but its just one argument and will be weighed against all of the arguments and all of the the evidence before the court. You can also trust any opposing lawyers to point out that in this case it's a deliberately self-inflicted problem. If there's any money left over, then the executor or the court will decide how it gets passed on to any named beneficiaries.

This isn't the first guy who left behind a pile of shit when he died, and this certainly isn't the first guy to commit suicide rather than stick around to face a trial or personally take responsibility for whatever are proven to be his actions.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
How can they sue a dead man?

Jesse Ventura’s lawsuit continued against Chris Kyle’s estate for “defaming” him in a book.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder who will get the 'portrait' of Bill Clinton in the blue dress???

You better not be bidding against me when they hold his estate auction! Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
How can they sue a dead man?

Because the dead man still has $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Our conspiracy theorists are kinda quiet of late. Not too much of a surprise, since the facts of the case are now emerging. Epstein signed his will two days before his death. I would like to hear an explanation for this from someone who is certain that Epstein was murdered.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Well, not certain here but let's wait to see who the beneficiaries are. Wink

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, that's good. I like that. Hey, how 'bout this one- Yes, Epstein did sign his own will, and the shadowy government conspirators knew this, so they decided that if they waited just a couple of days, it would be a great smoke screen for his murder, because everyone would say "Oh, look, he signed his will two days before he died. Well, there ya go. Suicide." So, the conspirators merely took advantage of Epstein signing his will,

Huh? Huh? How's that for devil's advocate?