SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein arrested and charged with sex trafficking
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 34

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein arrested and charged with sex trafficking Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
His life as he knew it was over so he took the easy way out. Surprised?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
FBI investigating Epstein death in Manhattan jail
BY JESSE BYRNES - 08/10/19 11:21 AM EDT

The Hill > https://thehill.com/homenews/n...th-in-manhattan-jail

===========================================

Future News Flash........

Jim Comey is recalled to work as the lead investigator Big Grin

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HighZonie:
In the past, I would have been glad to see the FBI get involved, but these past few years have demonstrated quite clearly that if you want justice and if you want to find the truth, you won't get those things from the FBI.
The FBI will reach whatever conclusion that they wish to reach, supporting the personal political beliefs of the FBI investigators involved.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Given his age, what he was facing criminally, and the associated stress, it's likely the heart attack was linked to that and nothing else.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
This is not only not surprising but expected. He is too high profile to be able to pull any strings at this point. He was never going to get out of there alive and living out life in prison wasn't attractive. If he still had any friends, none were in a position to help him. He was politically radioactive.
The same people that are a real danger to the rich and famous yesterday, are still there today. They are the lower level employees in this operation who can be squeezed for testimony. They can work a deal and many had to be involved and aware (and legally liable).
This didn't go away with his passing.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Those of you that have "visited" Federal Detention Centers know how much security there is. Especially, facilities that house guys like Epstein. 20 years ago it was "Star Wars" stuff.

It will be interesting if the feds investigate how they could fail so publicly holding such a high profile defendant, that has already shown a propensity for self violence.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Boy, he got out easy if it is found he had a natural heart attack.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Frankie "five angels" was in a secure location too....

Lol

If I was Epstein id want to kill myself too. Party was over for him.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
This might be important to future cases in this.

quote:
Background. An important note regarding Epstein's death:
No one else will have standing to challenge the search warrant on his house. Everything will be admissible against every other defendant without possibility of motion to suppress.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Why is the FBI announcing they are taking charge?
A review of the U.S. Marshals Services website seems to indicate they should take charge.

U.S. Marshals Service: Defendants in Custody and Prisoner Management

The U.S. Marshals Service houses and transports all federal prisoners from the time they enter federal custody until they are either acquitted or convicted and delivered to their designated federal Bureau of Prisons facility.

The Marshals Service assumes custody for all prisoners charged with a federal offense, no matter which agency made the arrest.

U.S. Marshals Service: Suicide Prevention and Recommended Practices

Reviewing the FBI website, I fail to see where it indicates they should have anything to do with this investigation.

FBI Mission & Priorities
Our Priorities
Protect the United States from terrorist attack
Protect the United States against foreign intelligence operations and espionage
Protect the United States against cyber-based attacks and high-technology crimes
Combat public corruption at all levels

Our Mission
To protect the American people and uphold the Constitution of the United States.

FBI, What we investigate
Terrorism
Counterintelligence
Cyber Crime
Public Corruption
Civil Rights
Organized Crime
White-Collar Crime
Violent Crime
WMD

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Why is the FBI announcing they are taking charge?
Because this investigation requires top men. Top. Men.

Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Which one of ya'll changed the Wiki definition of Suicide?

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Report This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by HighZonie:
In the past, I would have been glad to see the FBI get involved, but these past few years have demonstrated quite clearly that if you want justice and if you want to find the truth, you won't get those things from the FBI.
The FBI will reach whatever conclusion that they wish to reach, supporting the personal political beliefs of the FBI investigators involved.

This, with the correction (IMHO) that the conclusion will be based upon the political needs of FBI management vs the investigators involved. The managers will select personnel that will write up this death investigation however their "superiors" want it handled, rather than where the facts lead them. The mindset on the part of the agents will be that they're simply doing their part "for the Bureau", and that future "rewards" by their superiors will enhance their career. Beyond their own careers, these "drones" could probably care less about the politics.

This isn't the first time an extremely high profile offender has been killed due to circumstances that far exceed simple negligence on the part of federal corrections personnel. James "Whitey" Bulger was a thorne in the FBI's side for decades after it was revealed that the agency had facilitated crimes he committed including multiple murders, so they could utilize him as an alleged reliable informant. Several agents who were supposed to be managing him were charged with murder and multiple convictions were obtained.

After Bulger's arrest (the only fugitive federal government devoted more resources/money to locate was Osama Bin Laden), he was officially "outed" as having been a "snitch" during his trial. Upon conviction, common sense would dictate that the Federal Bureau of Prisons would keep this 80+ year old inmate out of general population, like they do with all exposed informants. Like placing suicidal subjects in "safety" cells, routinely checking on their status, and special housing for high risk inmates, the safety of those under their direct care and control is an important responsibility of those operating the custody environment. How someone of Bulger's notoriety would have been placed into General Population has never been satisfactorily explained.

As a former homicide investigator myself, I'd find it almost impossible to believe that in Epstein's situation, he'd have been placed inside a cell that would have facilitated a hanging. Someone with his profile would have also been under 24/7 video surveillance and this would have been recorded. I'm not a "conspiracy nut", but this death is extremely problematic to say the least. The taxpayers fund the FBI. The mangers and agents should be accountable to them and have a duty to conduct a thorough and honest investigation. Unfortunately, if FBI management directs subordinates to meet political goals instead of their legal and moral obligations to the public at large, even if Epstein did commit suicide the "official" reports could easily conceal not so benign "negligence" by prison officials to let something occur when it could and should have been prevented.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/1...r-killed-prison.html

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I'm not a "conspiracy nut" either, but people do have people killed in prison. It happens.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a former homicide investigator myself, I'd find it almost impossible to believe that in Epstein's situation, he'd have been placed inside a cell that would have facilitated a hanging. Someone with his profile would have also been under 24/7 video surveillance and this would have been recorded. I'm not a "conspiracy nut", but this death is extremely problematic to say the least. The taxpayers fund the FBI. The mangers and agents should be accountable to them and have a duty to conduct a thorough and honest investigation. Unfortunately, if FBI management directs subordinates to meet political goals instead of their legal and moral obligations to the public at large, even if Epstein did commit suicide the "official" reports could easily conceal not so benign "negligence" by prison officials to let something occur when it could and should have been prevented.

Good points agree completely. I am familiar with the security within both the federal and state prison systems.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Boy, he got out easy if it is found he had a natural heart attack.

Or if he somehow induced mechanical asphyxiation lying on his bed in a locked solitary cell.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
One thing is for certain, with he FBI on the case we will never know the truth.

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
https://abcnews.go.com/US/jeff...ls/story?id=64881684

ABC story says Epstein was not on suicide watch and he hung himself.

Posts: 1555 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
I'm not a "conspiracy nut" either, but people do have people killed in prison. It happens.
Yes, of course it happens, but in this instance, what evidence do you have which supports this?

The answer is 'none'. Until such time that we have any evidence that this is anything other than a suicide, I'd sincerely appreciate it if members refrained from blind speculation.

Occam's Razor, gentlemen

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
ABC story says Epstein was not on suicide watch and he hung himself.

The "conspiracy" is not Epstein's suicide, it's that it was ALLOWED to happen.
He should have been on suicide watch including 24 hour monitoring of a CCTV camera.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post