SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Crutchfield vs Best Buy. Who to trust?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crutchfield vs Best Buy. Who to trust? Login/Join 
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted
The aux input on the factory radio in my 2013 2500HD Sierra is acting up. Google searches reveal it is a common problem and have instructions on how to remove and fix the port. Another option is a new radio. I look at Crutchfield and see several options with lots of different harness configurations. I go to Best Buy to purchase a Apple charging cable and drop by the car audio department. A young man walks up and asks if I need help. He tells me he is the installation tech. I tell him the truck model and he writes up a quote on the harnesses and other do dads that will keep all the features I currently have with whatever radio I purchase. No charge on installation. He asks what kind of phone I have and recommends a Pioneer 1550NEX to work with Apple.
I go home and look at the same model on Crutchfield. A little cheaper but it says that model is not compatible with my 2013 Sierra. I get on the Best Buy site and it tells me it will work with my truck. Who do I believe?

Posts: 5693 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crutchfield has been one my internet favorites for a very long time

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
with the way infotainment systems are so built into cars now, I'm exceptionally hesitant to go for an after-market radio of any kind.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Crutchfield has been one of the experts in the field for a long time. I would trust them over Best Buy any day of the week.

They also have excellent customer support and service. I would call them at the number on their website, and ask one of their experts these questions.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Print out the Best Buy page stating it will work. Worst case scenario Best Buy will be reinstalling your old radio.

Posts: 5415 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Crutchfield any day over Best Buy!

I had a car maybe 12 years ago I had Best Buy install a complete new stereo system in for over $1,000.

I pick it up and every single speaker is humming like crazy, I take it back and the tech insists that's how it is and there's nothing he can do.

I immediately take it to an independent shop, the guy takes one listen, listens to my story about the Best Buy guy, shakes his head and installs a $10 power filter and viola! no more humming or noise. From then on, I go to this guy.

I wouldn't trust Best Buy with ANYTHING. They hire hacks and people who have no clue what they are doing. Mad

I think they are trying to scam you into a new system.

Posts: 33764 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Crutchfield is the absolute best and I would go with them and install myself.

Though I will say Best Buy may not be wrong.
Are you comparing the EXACT install components there are so many out there with many options.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Crutchfield any day over Best Buy!

Generally, Crutchfield will be a safe bet especially if you are doing the install yourself and are not experienced.

With Best Buy and in this case you are talking to an installer with experience who can accomplish much more than what a novice with Crutchfield tips.

IF you believe in the install manager then trust he can get it done.
Nothing like experience to accomplish things layman cannot.

So it is not really Crutchfield vs Best Buy it is Computer Generated instructions vs an experienced installer.

Posts: 22895 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Don’t believe the Best Buy guy. I checked the Crutchfield site. It is not compatible because you will lose some of your factory functions. Crutchfield would sell you anything extra you need to keep ALL of those functions if it were available. You can try calling them to make sure though.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Just recently made my first purchase from Crutchfield for a new stereo for a 2002 Ford Ranger.

They were helpful, kind, and great to work with. During the installation we called for some extra help and the person was again ideal to work with.

Posts: 3717 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Don’t believe the Best Buy guy. I checked the Crutchfield site. It is not compatible because you will lose some of your factory functions. Crutchfield would sell you anything extra you need to keep ALL of those functions if it were available. You can try calling them to make sure though.

They used to have super helpful people, I'd call.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Try a local install shop if you are afraid of the big box stores.

If you are doing it yourself then rely on the safe bet instructions from Crutchfield.

Many times something will fit but requires some customization that an average Joe cannot do.

The most important things are:
a) physical fit in the dash
b) faceplate and or console fit
c) wiring instructions if interfacing with other equipment
d) with speakers an installer can easily modify door panels to fit and Crutchfield will only recommend use of an adaptor of just use the same exact speaker.

A good installer is like a magician.

Posts: 22895 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not trust Best Buy to install batteries in my remote and Crutchfield has been nothing but awesome in all my dealings with them.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I would not trust Best Buy to install batteries in my remote and Crutchfield has been nothing but awesome in all my dealings with them.

That pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Good luck!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

Not always. There are plenty of products Crutchfield does not sell.
So many different harnesses out there these days.
There are a number of harnesses and OEM integration adapters for my wife’s 2012 Highlander with JBL system that JBL does not sell.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
with the way infotainment systems are so built into cars now, I'm exceptionally hesitant to go for an after-market radio of any kind.

Concur

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Interesting that this comes up, same scenario for me last week.

The first person I spoke to told me that he would get someone else as he was not familiar with car audio. Which he did.

The two of them kept going to a computer three aisles away.Without going into a lot of detail what was said their "expert" ignored the part that I have an Iphone which I told immediately. Also said that navigation was a plus but not a must have. But the main requirements were no pop up screen, Sirius capable and it had to retain my factory steering wheel controls (2012 Wrangler, no Uconnect or nav) and for the present no speaker changes, that maybe down the road.

He ignored the part that I could interface my Iphone to a Apple Car Play compatible radio instead quoting a Pioneer with nav. Ok, maybe he missed that part, nobody is perfect. So he wrote up a quote that listed all the items it would take to the tune of about 650. I look the estimate over and do not see any mention of Sirius package. He specifically said "It's built in the radio" despite the unit on display saying otherwise. I did not argue, display mistakes are made.

So when I got home and looked at Crutchfield's site it specifically said it requires a Sirius receiver package. So obviously their expert is not as much an expert as he thinks.

BTW, Crutchfield advertised the radio at the same "special" discount price that Best Buy quoted.

Your results may vary.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I've been in the car stereo business over 30 years. I don't think there's any problem changing your radio, but I need to know a few more details. You said you have a 2013 2500HD Sierra. I would guess it has Bose, but can you confirm that? Also, factory nav or not?
Factory BT? Phone buttons on the steering wheel?
Factory backup camera? If so, on screen or in mirror?
Any rear seat entertainment?

Normally I'd say to trust Crutchfield over BestBuy, but when I look up your truck on Crutchfield it says that radio won't fit, but other double din touchscreen radios will--so they are clearly incorrect about that.

You don't need any particular radio to work with an iPhone, unless you want to upgrade to a CarPlay radio which allows you to use your phone's mapping apps and get text messages through the in-dash screen. For music and phone calls almost any radio will do.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
As mentioned previously, if you're going to do the install yourself, go with Crutchfield. They have excellent staff that will help you as needed through the process. I'f you're opting to have someone install it for you, I'd go with a local, trusted, car audio shop. Those guys usually have a lot more experience than the big box store installers.

Lastly, opt for a radio that includes Apple Carplay 'and' Android Audio. Most higher end units include both, and having both would be a plus if you ever opted to sell the truck. Remember, not all of us own an iPhone. Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Crutchfield was always my go-to for car audio although I haven't used them much in years.

Be careful with a new radio in modern cars if you want to keep all the features the car came with such at the steering wheel controls. Not saying they don't make radios that are compatible just make sure you do your homework if you want all the controls to continue to work.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post