SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wasabi, anyone?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wasabi, anyone? Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
A bunch of us from work went to sushi for lunch one day. One of my coworkers had never tried it. He mistook the green lump on his plate for avocado, and proceeded to ingest the whole thing at once. Fred (not his real name, which was Dave)...

Hahahahahahahaha!!!

Posts: 8607 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Real-deal wasabi is a nice addition, not too much, just enough to impart an easy flavor.

The other stuff that comes in Kermit green, is simply sinus cleaner at varying levels of quality. Never understood people's desire to over do-it, I wanna taste the food, not the additive.

Posts: 14630 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Love it on sushi, but never had the real thing. I'd love to try it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Never understood people's desire to over do-it, I wanna taste the food, not the additive.

That leads to another misunderstanding/ignorance about the use/consumption of wasabi

When used on sashimi, it isn't meant to be mixed into a "soup" for dipping.

Wasabi would not normally be added to sushi as the sushi chef would have added the appropriate amount, while making it, to optimally accent the taste of the fish. The American consumption habit of sushi has lead to the commonly seen dipping of sushi in the wasabi sauce. To accommodate this, most "supermarket sushi" does not have "wasabi" added when made.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14179 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

This ^^^^^.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:

This ^^^^^.

https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-W...=8-28&tag=mozilla-20

https://www.amazon.com/Chojiro...r=8-5&tag=mozilla-20

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14179 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I Love both the real and imitation versions. I use gobs of it on my sushi and other food. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty certain that, while today, especially outside of Japan, wasabi is treated like a condiment, that originally its use was meant to complement things like sashimi as an antibiotic / antiparasitic.

It's actually rude to the chef to add wasabi to food to which the chef has already used wasabi. I suspect it's not only insulting to chef who supposedly added the right amount to complement the taste as a condiment, but perhaps also because it suggests the fish is not good quality (why do you need more antibiotic / antiparasitic).

And as above, if you use wasabi for sashimi, it's bad form to mix with soy sauce. Rather, a bit should be placed on the piece of sashimi and then the piece lightly dipped in soy sauce (assuming wasabi/soy sauce is desired).

And you never add wasabi to nigiri. At least in respectable places in Japan.

Of course, none of this really applies to "sushi" in western countries but it's not really sushi. Mixing shit and lathering with sauce - not sushi.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Kikkoman makes a wasabi sauce, which (along with sushi) I like on sandwiches and fries (mixed w/some mayo). It is a blend of wasabi and horseradish.

From Wiki: "Wasabi favors growing conditions that restrict its wide cultivation – among other things, it is quite intolerant of direct sunlight, requires an air temperature between 8 and 20 °C (46 and 68 °F), and prefers high humidity in summer. This makes it impossible for growers to fully satisfy commercial demand, which makes wasabi quite expensive. Therefore, outside Japan, it is rare to find real wasabi plants. Due to its high cost, a common substitute is a mixture of horseradish, mustard, starch, and green food coloring or spinach powder. Often packages are labeled as wasabi while the ingredients do not actually include any part of the wasabi plant. The primary difference between the two is color, with Wasabi being naturally green. In Japan, horseradish is referred to as seiyō wasabi (西洋わさび, "western wasabi"). In the United States, true wasabi is generally found only at specialty grocers and high-end restaurants."

Posts: 9025 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Of course, none of this really applies to "sushi" in western countries but it's not really sushi. Mixing shit and lathering with sauce - not sushi.

Soooo...spicy tuna, CA roll and a spider roll, jammed full of peppery mayo sauce and 12 other ingredients, not correct? Wink Big Grin

Posts: 14630 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:

This ^^^^^.

https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-W...=8-28&tag=mozilla-20

https://www.amazon.com/Chojiro...r=8-5&tag=mozilla-20

Dammit! Don’t tempt me like that!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I've had real wasabi, but I was in Japan. We were taken to a sushi restaurant in the Shinagawa district known to serve real wasabi.

It's similar but definitely different

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post