SIGforum
Wasabi, anyone?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5600008674

November 19, 2020, 10:31 PM
4x5
Wasabi, anyone?
Does anyone else besides me like this stuff? I eat it on California rolls, or wasabi peas. What else do you put it on?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ
November 19, 2020, 10:41 PM
kkina
A must have for sushi of course, don't usually put on anything else.

BTW, have you ever had "real" wasabi? Nearly all the stuff you see offered is actually horseradish and mustard, and some green food coloring.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
November 19, 2020, 10:44 PM
4x5
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
A must have for sushi of course, don't usually put on anything else.

BTW, have you ever had "real" wasabi? Nearly all the stuff you see offered is actually horseradish and mustard, and some green food coloring.

I've never tried the real stuff, but some of the fake wasabi's are strong enough to melt my sinuses!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ
November 19, 2020, 10:50 PM
kkina
The real stuff is actually less hot, but delivers a much more savory flavor (in Japanese "umami"). There's almost no comparison.

If you ever get a chance, sometimes they serve real wasabi in high-end Japanese restaurants. It's a root that is grated fresh and must be consumed in 15 minutes or so.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
November 19, 2020, 11:01 PM
lbaker45

November 19, 2020, 11:04 PM
TigerDore
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
The real stuff is actually less hot, but delivers a much more savory flavor...

I didn't realize this. I enjoy the fake wasabi a lot. I hope I get the opportunity to try the real thing some time.

November 19, 2020, 11:27 PM
kkina
A bunch of us from work went to sushi for lunch one day. One of my coworkers had never tried it. He mistook the green lump on his plate for avocado, and proceeded to ingest the whole thing at once. Fred (not his real name, which was Dave) was too proud to show any sign of discomfort, but we suddenly noticed he wasn't talking or eating, just sitting there turning all different shades. He finally confesses, "I thought it was guacamole!"

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
November 19, 2020, 11:34 PM
OttoSig
Its a common condiment for pork belly here.

I like to mix it well with thw salt offered for a wasabi saly dipping mixture.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!
November 19, 2020, 11:43 PM
mr kablammo
I like 'wasabi' with sushi with pickled ginger. A nice layering of flavors. Regarding wasabi peas, the best, in my limited experience, were made in Taiwan in a market stall in a town on a mountain on the coast. I do not remember the name of the town but it was on the road that winded past an old japanese gold mine, and a gigantic statue of the God of War.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
November 20, 2020, 12:10 AM
konata88
I like / love wasabi, the real stuff. I'll use the tube / paste stuff but the real stuff is excellent. It's actually a little sweet. Traditionally, you grate it yourself using shark skin.

Sashimi, of course but sparingly. And chirashi. Sushi nigiri usually not - I just use whatever the chef puts. I use more with zaru soba.

ETA: just saw the pic that kkina posted. The grater looks like traditional shark skin.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
November 20, 2020, 12:14 AM
kkina
^^Right...it sort of starts out spicy, but finishes sweet. Completely different from the afterburner effect of the faux stuff.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
November 20, 2020, 12:42 AM
9mmepiphany
I've only had true wasabi twice and it really is different than what you see at your neighborhood "sushi place".

The first time was when I was invited to a high end sushi restaurant for a omakase dinner at the Santa Monica Airport. Apparently this restaurant was very popular with Japanese business men in America who would fly in in their private company jets. As already mentioned the most surprising thing was the sweetness of it. In true form the chef brought out a piece of shark skin mounted on a board to grate the root.

Unfortunately I was never about to make a return visit as they were closed down for serving blue whale meat

No, Daoism isn't a religion

November 20, 2020, 06:48 AM
Spiff_P239
Apparently I have not tried the real stuff but I’m a big fan of wasabi on my sushi. Love the kick it adds.
November 20, 2020, 07:44 AM
daikyu
I love horseradish so I also love Wasabi. Probably have not had the real stuff.
November 20, 2020, 08:54 AM
GWbiker
Nope not for me. That is some nasty stuff.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".
November 20, 2020, 09:16 AM
lizardman_u
I love the Pistachio Ice cream.

I buy almonds with it on them, and ask my wife and kids for theirs when we get sushi or sashimi.

November 20, 2020, 09:17 AM
HKg3
I used to like the fake stuff and have never had the real wasabi.

I got a sushi order once with way too much of the fake wasabi on it and it made me sick.

I now usually order most sushi without it due to the memory. I would love to try the real stuff but most of the restaurants in my area do not have it.

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin
November 20, 2020, 09:39 AM
Scoutmaster
My senses are quite sensitive to anything with pepper type spices, but it seems I can do straight wasabi and like it.

I joke with my family, the reason they serve strong wasabi and ginger with sushi is so that you can't taste the sushi (which my family loves but I hate).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944
November 20, 2020, 09:44 AM
BB61
The fake stuff is nasty and I doubt I'd like the real stuff either. That being said, I'd try the real stuff just to see if it is different enough that I'd like it.

November 20, 2020, 09:45 AM
selogic
NO Wasabi . No Radishes . No Horseradish . Nasty , disgusting , vile , putrid , etc. Not in my house .