SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wasabi, anyone?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wasabi, anyone? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Does anyone else besides me like this stuff? I eat it on California rolls, or wasabi peas. What else do you put it on?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
A must have for sushi of course, don't usually put on anything else.

BTW, have you ever had "real" wasabi? Nearly all the stuff you see offered is actually horseradish and mustard, and some green food coloring.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
A must have for sushi of course, don't usually put on anything else.

BTW, have you ever had "real" wasabi? Nearly all the stuff you see offered is actually horseradish and mustard, and some green food coloring.

I've never tried the real stuff, but some of the fake wasabi's are strong enough to melt my sinuses!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The real stuff is actually less hot, but delivers a much more savory flavor (in Japanese "umami"). There's almost no comparison.

If you ever get a chance, sometimes they serve real wasabi in high-end Japanese restaurants. It's a root that is grated fresh and must be consumed in 15 minutes or so.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Connoisseur of
Fine Firearms
Picture of lbaker45
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1926 | Location: Midwest | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
The real stuff is actually less hot, but delivers a much more savory flavor...

I didn't realize this. I enjoy the fake wasabi a lot. I hope I get the opportunity to try the real thing some time.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
A bunch of us from work went to sushi for lunch one day. One of my coworkers had never tried it. He mistook the green lump on his plate for avocado, and proceeded to ingest the whole thing at once. Fred (not his real name, which was Dave) was too proud to show any sign of discomfort, but we suddenly noticed he wasn't talking or eating, just sitting there turning all different shades. He finally confesses, "I thought it was guacamole!"

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Its a common condiment for pork belly here.

I like to mix it well with thw salt offered for a wasabi saly dipping mixture.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6251 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I like 'wasabi' with sushi with pickled ginger. A nice layering of flavors. Regarding wasabi peas, the best, in my limited experience, were made in Taiwan in a market stall in a town on a mountain on the coast. I do not remember the name of the town but it was on the road that winded past an old japanese gold mine, and a gigantic statue of the God of War.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I like / love wasabi, the real stuff. I'll use the tube / paste stuff but the real stuff is excellent. It's actually a little sweet. Traditionally, you grate it yourself using shark skin.

Sashimi, of course but sparingly. And chirashi. Sushi nigiri usually not - I just use whatever the chef puts. I use more with zaru soba.

ETA: just saw the pic that kkina posted. The grater looks like traditional shark skin.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^Right...it sort of starts out spicy, but finishes sweet. Completely different from the afterburner effect of the faux stuff.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I've only had true wasabi twice and it really is different than what you see at your neighborhood "sushi place".

The first time was when I was invited to a high end sushi restaurant for a omakase dinner at the Santa Monica Airport. Apparently this restaurant was very popular with Japanese business men in America who would fly in in their private company jets. As already mentioned the most surprising thing was the sweetness of it. In true form the chef brought out a piece of shark skin mounted on a board to grate the root.

Unfortunately I was never about to make a return visit as they were closed down for serving blue whale meat

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Apparently I have not tried the real stuff but I’m a big fan of wasabi on my sushi. Love the kick it adds.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I love horseradish so I also love Wasabi. Probably have not had the real stuff.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope not for me. That is some nasty stuff.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I love the Pistachio Ice cream.

I buy almonds with it on them, and ask my wife and kids for theirs when we get sushi or sashimi.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
I used to like the fake stuff and have never had the real wasabi.

I got a sushi order once with way too much of the fake wasabi on it and it made me sick.

I now usually order most sushi without it due to the memory. I would love to try the real stuff but most of the restaurants in my area do not have it.

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2078 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
My senses are quite sensitive to anything with pepper type spices, but it seems I can do straight wasabi and like it.

I joke with my family, the reason they serve strong wasabi and ginger with sushi is so that you can't taste the sushi (which my family loves but I hate).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
The fake stuff is nasty and I doubt I'd like the real stuff either. That being said, I'd try the real stuff just to see if it is different enough that I'd like it.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NO Wasabi . No Radishes . No Horseradish . Nasty , disgusting , vile , putrid , etc. Not in my house .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post