This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5590089764

March 24, 2020, 10:42 PM
RAMIUS
Mob Sauce
Thank you for not calling it gravy.
March 24, 2020, 11:09 PM
Sportshooter
You would think if that sauce/gravy was any good somebody would post a recipe for the rest of us uninitiated. Smile

BTW, red eye or sawmill gravy in East Texas was considered a beverage to be taken with biscuits.
March 24, 2020, 11:33 PM
tigereye313
Watched Goodfellas last week, watched the first half of The Godfather tonight.

Mrs. makes a mean batch of sketti sauce. Smile

March 25, 2020, 02:12 PM
MRMATT
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
My Puerto Rican wife uses that same basic recipe today. Best sauce ever!

Care to share the recipe?

email inbound

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.
March 25, 2020, 02:22 PM
tk13
quote:

email inbound

Got it! Thanks, Matt.
March 25, 2020, 03:40 PM
golddot
can the bachelor man get a copy of that sauce, PLEASE lol

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---
March 26, 2020, 07:22 AM
MRMATT
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
can the bachelor man get a copy of that sauce, PLEASE lol

1 - 28 oz. can of tomato puree
1 - 18 oz. can of tomato paste
1 - 20+ oz. of tomato sauce with garlic and onion (can add extra onion and garlic, if you like)
1 - 28 oz. can of water ( puree can)

Add all that to a big sauce pot, bring to boil, then simmer.

Then,

small handful of salt
tablespoon or two of sugar
3-4 bay leaves
1/2 tsp basil - crushed between finger tips
About a tablespoon of oregano
generous sprinkling of crushed red pepper flakes

That's about it. Add your meatballs and sausage and simmer for a few hours, stirring occasionally.

Second day sauce is even better.

Hope I didn't leave anything out.

Matt

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.
March 26, 2020, 07:42 AM
Woodman
quote:
Second day sauce is even better.
When I used to cook (when I still had a stove) I'd make a BIG POT of tomato-based all-purpose goulash. Plum tomatoes, canned whole, paste, onions, spices. Bring it to a heavy simmer then shut off the heat and cover. The next day, same thing. To a boil for a minute or two, shut off the heat and cover. Day III, same thing. About six hours after I powered down the third time it was ready to eat.
March 26, 2020, 12:22 PM
corsair
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Thank you for not calling it gravy.

Not Italian but, grew up around an Italian neighborhood that had a significant population from Liguria (North, pesto sauce); whereas most American Italian urban neighborhoods were from the South or, Sicily. North had more meat & dairy, less tomatoes, South had less meat, more seafood and vegetables.

Had several girlfriends who were Italian, dinners at their place was great, lots of food, multiple generations, there wasn't a dinner that was less than 8 people. Nobody called it Gravy, I recall one grandpa who remarked that,...using that word was a lazy word for those who draw their culture from the movies, we're NOT that family. I was a guest, just happy to eat at their table.
Sauce was marinara sauce, doctored up tomato sauce with herbs; if the sauce had meat it was called ragu and had dairy.

This is my go-to recipe when the craving for pasta comes on. I'll split it and freeze half of it for a rainy day. Its meaty and bold, add some sugar if you prefer it sweeter or, to soften the taste.
The Best Slow-Cooked Bolognese Sauce Recipe
March 26, 2020, 06:41 PM
ersatzknarf
Thank you for sharing. That brought back a lot of memories of friends of my father's whom I knew as a small child.

Italian, through and through, but nothing like anything in any movie.

Based on your description, would say they were also Northern.

Smile

March 29, 2020, 09:59 AM
Rev. A. J. Forsyth
Gravy is such a Jersey thing. I said that to my off the boat mother in-law back when I first met her and she looked at me like I was from Mars.
March 29, 2020, 02:47 PM
parabellum
Large collection of food references from The Sopranos. Very enjoyable.

March 29, 2020, 03:42 PM
Woodman
Now I'll have to watch every episode to see what happens in the "pizza box found at crime scene" episode.

I stuff m-f-in' provolone in my socks at night so they smell like _________ in the morning Big Grin where do they find these script-writers?

That is a series I never watched. Tried a few episodes and figured I'd get to it. Then again, I did not start 24 until the entire series ran. Same for Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Dexter, House of Cards, Longmire, Hell on Wheels, Deadwood. Next lockdown I'll plan ahead and get the entire series from the library.
March 29, 2020, 07:42 PM
Rev. A. J. Forsyth
"Veal parmezhaahn sangweeeech? FUCK YOU"!
March 29, 2020, 07:54 PM
Underworld2086
I tried this basic recipe and its pretty good.

1 28oz can of San Marzano tomatoes
5 Tablespoons of butter
1 peeled and halved onion
some salt

Throw it all in a pot and let simmer for 45 min. Take out the onion and serve with your favorite pasta.
April 03, 2020, 10:30 AM
smschulz
Going to make Mob Sauce tonight, thanks Para for the inspiration.

Also saw this:

April 06, 2020, 08:55 PM
smschulz
Well finally made my own mob sauce.
First off, Italian food is my all time favorite food (OK I might take a dry aged ribeye over a plate of spaghetti).
I made the sauce from scratch and only deviation is a little oregano from my heb garden.
Made meatballs from ground beef + three different sausage(s).
Came out GREAT.

April 06, 2020, 09:06 PM
sigmonkey

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
April 07, 2020, 12:26 AM
sigalert
smschulz...

That is fantastic!

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson