Find
Notify
Tools

Mob Sauce Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Bustin' balls, takin' out the trash and makin' sauce all at once. Talented guy, that Clemenza. Oh, Paulie, you won't see him no more. And Mikey, tell that nice girl you love her! 'I love-a you with all-a my heart!'

And now, the real-uh thing:

Doin' a stretch but still eatin' like a king:

Outta the joint, makin' the sauce.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A bowl of good sauce (gravy) and a loaf of decent bread makes a meal.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
A bowl of good sauce (gravy) and a loaf of decent bread makes a meal.
One of my favorite snacks! Has to be a good, hearty Italian bread.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
"Gravy." That's New Jersey Italian for "sauce."

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love sugo!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I miss the NJ Italian sauce my mom made, including the big pieces of sausage (My mothers family are Italian). I told my wife her sauce tastes like the stuff they served at my elementary school. She didn't quite like that comment.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
When my father was away in the navy, my mother was taught how to make sauce by a couple of older Italian women who lived next door. My Puerto Rican wife uses that same basic recipe today. Best sauce ever!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I always liked those scenes. Liked where he was taking the time to slice the garlic paper-thin with the razor. The important things in life....

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Time for a Godfather/Goodfellas screening. As it happens, I have the time.

Thanks Para!

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3619 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Love it!
Once you make your own sauce, you can never buy that jarred stuff anymore. Fuggettaboutit! Cool

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1899 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the Italians I know call it gravy.

I have known a lot of Italians

Could be an Eastcoast thing

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
My Puerto Rican wife uses that same basic recipe today. Best sauce ever!

Care to share the recipe?

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Vinnie, don't put too many onions in the sauce

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:

It's a regional thing. I married into a large Italian family; they all call it sauce. I have friends in the Boston area - they call it gravy.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:

It's a regional thing. I married into a large Italian family; they all call it sauce. I have friends in the Boston area - they call it gravy.

Thought gravy had meat. Sauce didn’t.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3619 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
"Cut the crap!"

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Catherine Scorsese (née Cappa; April 16, 1912 – January 6, 1997) used to cook for the crew on her kid's films. She also played some parts in the script, and had a good Italian accent.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
My mom's parents were right from the old country, one was Italian the other Sicilian.

My grandma was the typical Italian grandma, up to start cooking at dawn, hand making everything. Her whole family called it sauce. Her cooking was legendary.

My grandfather used to call pasta "macaroni"

They wouldn't teach my mom to speak italian when she was young and said no to me when I asked. We are americans, you don't need to know it, was their response. I learned a few words but not much.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:

Thought gravy had meat. Sauce didn’t.
That's the way I learned it. Gravy is made with meat stock, sauces are based on vegetables (tomato, olive oil, etc.).

What do folks in Boston know, anyway? They call a milk shake a "frappe" (one syllable)--their "milk shake" doesn't have any ice cream in it!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My dads mom was Italian (Fortunato was her maiden name) from Germantown in Philadelphia ...Nana and all her sisters and brothers called it sauce.

Aunt Vera used to visit and flew on the plane with her huge pot on her lap with clothing in it...then when she got to Tampa she started sauce until the day she would fly home, she never passed a bakery either!

Never heard it called gravy, except in the movies.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post