SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oregon Takes Low IQ Parents Child
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oregon Takes Low IQ Parents Child Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
God this infuriates me. Can you imagine if the couple had been anything but white? They wouldnt got near that couple with a 100 foot pole. I also bet the family member that "reported" them doesn't have kids of their own.

http://www.oregonlive.com/paci...tellectual_disa.html

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
That sort of elitism is vulgar and sickening. A lot of people don't have any sort of mothering ability but nothing can be or should be done before there is a problem.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
father sounds like the real idiot in the family.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
That sort of elitism is vulgar and sickening. A lot of people don't have any sort of mothering ability but nothing can be or should be done before there is a problem.

Agree! Nanny State taking too much control.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what a sad situation. Dad does seem like a prick. From horror stories you hear about CPS they seem rather unaccountable. Thank good see gey have some legal help behind them and are getting this story in the news

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
sounds like the taxpayer is paying for everyone involved no matter what.

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
This is absolutely infuriating. Such smug, elitist crap.

quote:
In reports of concerns about the couple's parenting skills, a MountainStar worker recalled having to prompt them to have Christopher wash his hands after using the toilet and to apply sunscreen to all of his skin rather than just his face. Fabbrini and Ziegler's attorneys argue these weren't sufficient reasons to keep them from their son.

Oh please. I've seen much worse than this. Much worse. There are thousands and thousands of parents out there who are far more guilty of something benign like not remembering to have their children was their hands after using the bathroom. This is nitpicking nonsense.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Among the extensive list of parenting skills that rightly are part of the social idea of 'normal' and 'adequate' are such matters as being able to tie your shoes, catch a bus, go to the library, read a book, follow cooking recipes, and teach your child how to do such, as well as provide guidance and care for growing children. Some adults just do not have the capacity; the question of what is best to do for the child is often difficult to determine.

When I was in the 'Child Protective Services' division many decades ago, there was a list of parenting skills that were part of what the judge hearing the case would be asking about.

'Children raising children' is a subject widely argued by parties with strongly differing opinions. Usually there is far more than 'washing hands' at issue determining 'parental rights'.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
'Children raising children' is a subject widely argued by parties with strongly differing opinions.

If the state's side wins, we'd be better off having a serious discussion about forced sterilization for folks with IQs under a certain level.

Seriously - why allow them to have children in the first place who will pretty much be taken from them automatically as a matter of public policy?

Mad

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I've been the court appointed Guardian ad Litem for an infant whose young mother had a very low IQ and no family support. As the GAL, my only interest was the child. I knew the court would give great weight to whatever I recommended. It's not as cut and dry as some folks here might like to make it, especially when the problems are much more substantial than forgetting sunscreen.

God help any family that winds up in the grasp of social services.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Did you guys read that the first clue she had she was pregnant was when she gave birth to the child at home?

Maybe there are valid concerns over the couple's parenting abilities and not just their IQ. Of course, if the story had been reported as "Unfit Parents Lose Children" we wouldn't be talking about it, would we?

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Did you guys read that the first clue she had she was pregnant was when she gave birth to the child at home?

Have deal with a number of women, and their families that "didn't know she was pregnant." No, they didn't have low IQs. Lots of family issues but not cognitive problems.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Having given several hundred "IQ tests" I can saying that using just the number is worthless. Scores can change when people have bad days, when they don't connect with the examiner, or for other reasons. You have to given multiple tests that interrelate for validity.

It's important to see that both parents graduated with a standard high school diploma. There's no mention that either was on a 504, and IEP or in special education. Given, qualifying for financial support is telling. However, not washing hands? Not putting sunscreen on your arms? With that standard, nobody should have children.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post