SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sears files for bankruptcy; Eddie Lampert steps down as CEO
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sears files for bankruptcy; Eddie Lampert steps down as CEO Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
The inevitable day has arrived.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/1...-for-bankruptcy.html

Sears files for bankruptcy; Eddie Lampert steps down as CEO

A woman walks past store closing signs at a Sears in New Hyde Park, New York, October 10, 2018. Sears Holdings files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
1 Hour Ago | 01:35
Sears Holdings filed for bankruptcy protection early Monday after years of staying afloat through financial maneuvering and relying on billions of CEO Eddie Lampert's own money. Lampert, who has served as CEO for the past five years, will step down from that post, effective immediately, but remain chairman.

The 125-year-old retailer, once the nation's largest, said Monday it was appointing Mohsin Meghji, managing partner of M-III Partners, as its chief restructuring officer.

As part of the bankruptcy, Sears will shutter 142 stores toward the end of the year. It expects to begin liquidation sales shortly. The locations of these stores wasn't immediately known.

The bankruptcy filing comes more than a decade after Lampert merged Sears and Kmart, hoping that forging together the two struggling discounters would create a more formidable competitor.

Over the years, Lampert shed Sears assets and spun out real estate to pay down the debt. The company still has roughly 700 stores, which have at times been barren, unstocked by vendors who have lost their trust. Many of the stores have never been visited by younger generations of shoppers.

A woman walks past store closing signs at a Sears in New Hyde Park, New York, October 10, 2018. Sears Holdings files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
1 Hour Ago | 01:35
Sears Holdings filed for bankruptcy protection early Monday after years of staying afloat through financial maneuvering and relying on billions of CEO Eddie Lampert's own money. Lampert, who has served as CEO for the past five years, will step down from that post, effective immediately, but remain chairman.

The 125-year-old retailer, once the nation's largest, said Monday it was appointing Mohsin Meghji, managing partner of M-III Partners, as its chief restructuring officer.

As part of the bankruptcy, Sears will shutter 142 stores toward the end of the year. It expects to begin liquidation sales shortly. The locations of these stores wasn't immediately known.

The bankruptcy filing comes more than a decade after Lampert merged Sears and Kmart, hoping that forging together the two struggling discounters would create a more formidable competitor.

Over the years, Lampert shed Sears assets and spun out real estate to pay down the debt. The company still has roughly 700 stores, which have at times been barren, unstocked by vendors who have lost their trust. Many of the stores have never been visited by younger generations of shoppers.

Also see: This map shoes all the locations Sears once operated and what it has left today

Lampert, who has a controlling ownership stake in Sears, personally holds some 31 percent of its shares outstanding, according to FactSet. His hedge fund ESL Investments owns about 19 percent.

But even with the bankruptcy filing, Lampert continues to invest in Sears. The retailer said Monday morning ESL is negotiating a $300 million debtor-in-possession loan to support it through its bankruptcy. That loan comes on top of an additional $300 million it has secured from investment banks.

"ESL invested time and money in Sears because we believe the company has a future," ESL and Lampert said in a statement Monday.

Lampert also expressed regret he couldn't get the necessary parties to to agree to his last efforts to stave off bankruptcy.

Sears' creditors refused to agree on an out-of-court restructuring proposal that ESL put forward in September. They had little assurance by way of collateral or strategy, after years in which Sears' only shot at survival came by selling off parts of its business.

The board was in a perilous position. Its special committee had been tasked with approving Lampert's latest plan, a bid to buy his storied Kenmore appliance business and other brands.

Approving Lampert's offer would have helped Sears make its payment. But that would also thrust the board into the spotlight, potentially opening them to the threat of litigation from shareholders who might allege Lampert has stripped the business bare.

Homes to Hardware
That business was once a giant — the first "everything store" stocking everything from jewelry to clothing, from hardware to prefabricated homes.

It started with Richard Sears, who launched the Sears Watch Co. in 1886 to sell watches by mail. The company later evolved into Sears, Roebuck and Co., which expanded its offerings through a catalog. The convenience brought its products to America's most rural locations.

In 1925, Sears morphed a mail-order plant on Chicago's West Side into its first retail store. By the end of the year. Sears opened seven more stores. Eventually, Sears became the largest U.S. retailer, and its house brands like Kenmore and Craftsman earned spots as staples in homes across the country. Generations of children marked the holidays by paging through its holiday catalog, known as the "Wishbook," wondering if they would receive any of the toys inside.

As Sears success grew, so did its empire. It moved into Chicago's iconic Sears Tower, and for a time, owned financial services businesses like Dean Witter and Coldwell Banker Real Estate Group.

But big box retailer Walmart muscled in on Sears to become the biggest U.S. retailer in 1990. Sears' efforts to attract female shoppers by showing them the "softer side of Sears" and move into new businesses lines left it without an identity.

Those challenges didn't stop Lampert, the hedge fund manager who had already impressed Wall Street with his acumen when he seemingly turned around Kmart, which he bought in 2004. He acquired and combined Sears with Kmart in 2005, arguing that two ailing retailers were stronger together than apart. The financial guru saw valuable real estate, customers he could parlay from one store to the other and ample costs to cut.

The retail giant he created had a market capitalization north of $20 billion in 2006. The media began to wonder whether he was the "next Warren Buffett." Lampert could have sold off his investments then, but stayed on, steadfast in his vision of the combined retailers.

Meanwhile, Walmart and Target kept opening stores, as did Lowe's and Home Depot. Walmart touted its "everyday low prices," while Target served up "cheap chic." Lowe's and Home Depot provided a wider array of home improvement products for all kinds of projects, making it tough for Kenmore and Craftsman to compete.

Then, came a double blow.

Consumer spending slowed during the Great Recession, especially for big-ticket items like washers and dryers. Cash-strapped shoppers began using the internet to hunt down the best deals. Gradually, they began to spend more online and avoid the mall, fueling Amazon's rise. Sears' 140,000-square-foot stores began to seem monstrous as foot traffic declined.

Profits stop flowing
Walmart and others began to invest in their businesses to compete with Amazon, but Sears never had that chance. It simply didn't have the funds.

Sears' last profitable year was in 2010. A thinning cash flow has left little money to put back into the company itself, letting it become more irrelevant. For the past five years, the ratio of Sears' capital expenditures to sales has been less than 1 percent. That's even as its sales have more than halved in the same time period.

Sears has been in survival mode for more than a decade. Unable to rely on the Sears' business to pay the bills, Lampert instead sold or spun off many of its most valuable stores and brands.

Since its merger with Kmart, Sears has spun off its Lands' End clothing brand, sold the Craftsman tool brand to Stanley Black & Decker and closed hundreds of stores. It spun out 250 of its best properties into real estate investment trust offshoot known as Seritage.

Its key vendors, wary of Sears' future, demanded tighter payment terms. Some, like Whirlpool, stopped shipping all-together.

It has been grappling with a pension of roughly 100,000 retirees that, as of January, was underfunded by $1.5 billion, according FactSet.

It became a guessing game among analysts and onlookers whether each of Sears' last five holiday seasons would be its last. But Lampert kept surprising them, extending a lifeline in the form of loans from his hedge fund or finding them elsewhere each time bankruptcy looked inevitable.

Lampert, though, sounded the alarm in a Sept. 13 blog post. He pleaded for Sears' creditor's to agree to restructure, calling out the risks should they drag their feet.

"We continue to believe that it is in the best interests of all our stakeholders to accomplish this as a going concern, rather than alternatives that could result in significant reductions in value," he wrote.

By early October, it became evident that Sears' last Christmas before bankruptcy had already passed. Sears began to raise emergency financing to support the business through coming filing.

Now, the question will be whether Sears will be able to come out of bankruptcy. Retailers don't have a great track record of emerging. Several of late, like Toys R Us and department store Bon-Ton, have been forced to liquidate. It is difficult to make changes needed, like investing in e-commerce, stores and a company's brand, while still catering to creditors' demands.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I worked for Sears briefly in high school/college back in 2001, this bankruptcy bullshit was in the works then and here they are 17 years later selling a few parcels at a time, selling Kenmore, selling Craftsman....STILL circling the drain. Talk about a long and agonizing death.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am astounded that they have been dragging this out for so long. Didn't they already declare bankruptcy at least one before? ....and the bought Kmart, which was declaring bankruptcy?

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Can't say Lampert didn't try. He was in it for the lang haul and didn't quit until there was no other alternative.

I never saw a positive outcome for his investment, but I figured that because he is the billionaire and not me, there was probably something that I wasn't seeing.

The only thing I wonder now is what was the opportunity cost of all the time, energy and money he put into this project? How many much better opportunities did he not pursue because of this decades long debacle?

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Can't say Lampert didn't try. He was in it for the lang haul and didn't quit until there was no other alternative.

I never saw a positive outcome for his investment, but I figured that because he is the billionaire and not me, there was probably something that I wasn't seeing.

The only thing I wonder now is what was the opportunity cost of all the time, energy and money he put into this project? How many much better opportunities did he not pursue because of this decades long debacle?

I'm just glad he got out of the auto parts industry in order to do this- for that I will be forever grateful.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The last Sears I went to was shut down in ~1980

Recently I stopped going to Barnes & Noble:

Are you a member of our cheesy book club?
We have left handed holographic unicorn bookmarks for sale today.
Would you like to sign up for one of our BN credit cards? The mafia is jealous of our rates.
Do you want to donate any extra to the fund of the week?
What is your e-mail? We'd love to send you all kinds of shit you'll never read.

Seems to be a good way to drive the customers away and make the lines at the register hellish.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Sears could have saved itself were it willing to abandon the old business model sooner and more completely. One need only to look at Amazon for an example. Was it stubbornness? Pride? Shortsightedness? Sloth? Indifference that sunk this ship? Who knows, but they've been planning and bleeding this for a looooooooong time.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

You might want to read this before heaping praise on fast Eddie: https://www.businessinsider.co...rs-up-to-fail-2017-5

https://www.usatoday.com/story...ie-lampert/99487518/

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only things I've bought from Sears in well over a decade is Craftsman. I was surprised to see a subset of them in Lowes when I went there this past weekend.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the story about the dinosaur that was so large that its brain didn't even realize it was dead, yet.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
She's been dead for years, it's just that now the body might stop twitching.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it’s a shame though. Shouldn’t have happened. How a corporation can install incompetent leadership, for years, is beyond me.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It's sad that Sears who was once the Amazon of its day couldn't or wouldn't adapt to the times and out-Amazon Amazon in this era!

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Just another example of a company that, once they got to the top, they forgot what got them there. They turned their marquee brands into junk to maintain profit margins and lost their customer base.

And you would think that a company with their background in mail order sales would have become the master of the internet era but they never seemed to figure out how it worked.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has been a long time coming with their outmoded business model. I don't see how they can survive or restructure this mess. Their only asset is $2-3 billion in the real estate and debit is $11 billion.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The mall near us is 50% empty, the movies draw in the evening and weekend traffic, Macy's closed, went in through the Sears not long ago, nobody in the store, just employees.

I can't remember the last time I thought of going to Sears to buy something... Lowes and Home Depot are just across the street and boom every weekend, busy every day... Taking on appliances and quality tool lines at those box stores did Sears in. The only reason to go to a sears was Kenmore, Craftsman... now that's gone.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it ironic that the mail order giant of the past was beaten by the modern equivalent form of mail order.

One editorial recently named Sears as one of the “zombie” companies dying a slow death. Toys R Us was another.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
The mall near us is 50% empty,

I went into one of our local malls the other day to remove some restaurant equipment I purchased. Parked the truck, went inside to see what I was dealing with, went back to truck, got equipment, went back into mall, got everything ready to roll, removed from mall, and loaded onto a truck.

During all of that I did not see a single person.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When a local Sears closed about 2 years ago I was watching the "liquidation" discounts on the tools. I was in the market for a new socket set. I had my eye on a craftsman set that was originally $100. It was marked down to 30% off. I was about to pull the trigger and I went to the sears website to check one last thing and saw it on sale for $10 less than the liquidation price.

Pissed me off so much I went to Harbor Freight.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Wall Street Journal nailed it in one sentence.

“No amount of financial wizardry can make up for lost customers.”

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post