SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a manual impact driver
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a manual impact driver Login/Join 
posted
As the title says I am looking for a manual impact driver. I don't mind paying for quality. Thank you in advance.

Posts: 1218 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the kind you hit with a hammer? If so, I used to have a MAC brand, and it worked just fine. I was helping my son remove a stuck brake rotor, and we picked up one at NAPA. It worked just as well for a lot less.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2494 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't mind paying for quality.

Then see if you can get ahold of a Snap-on truck. I've had mine at least 25 years and it is still going strong.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
You can use most any type found at Lowe’s, Auto Zone, etc. The bits are most important. A cheaper driver like Kobalt and good MAC or Snap-On bits would work great.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8 | Registered: October 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
My biggest use for an impact driver is the screws - usually Phillips-head, but sometimes hex ("Allen") and Torx - that hold car brake rotors to the hub. The Phillips bit will be the most used. Many of them have steel that is hard but too brittle. Such a bit won't last very long under simultaneous hammer blows and twisting.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I bought this $29.99 Capri Tools Premium Impact Driver Set, Manual Reversible 1/2-inch Drive. Last year after my old one walked off or something. Works real well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tool quality is funny. I bought a Chinese pneumatic air hammer (not what you are looking for) 10 years ago for $12.95 and cut a 2 foot by 2 foot hole in a 4" concrete basement floor to install a sump pump. When I completed the job I couldn't tell any change in the condition of the chisel. My other alternative at the time was to rent a jack hammer for $40 for 1/2 day.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Typically the import impact drivers use softer steel, and do not work nearly as well as Snap-On. However the import ones may have improved lately, based upon other comments above.

In the past, back when I worked as a mechanic, import drivers would work for one screw, then performance went to hell after that.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I can tell you from experience using them for many years at Florida Power and Light Company, we bought and used portable battery Hitachi Impact Drivers. They purchased and we used a ton of them based on our recommendations to purchasing. We used them on every kind of projects to include a lot of heavy duty use required in building steel towers in Power Delivery Substations. They were almost virtually indestructible and battery life was very good. Especially when doing work in the air on a tower for building transmission tower high voltage switches. Often if you were going to be in the air for hours many would just take a spare battery with them to save time, but on the one battery you could get hours of heavy duty use. Every Power Delivery Substation truck throughout the State of Florida had one on their trucks. Excellent portable impact driver and we used them for many years. I retired and I'll bet they still use them in the Plants and Substations.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I thought I was the only person on planet still with one of these, from our NAPA store circa 1980.

That era was well made!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Power impact drivers aren't the same. Particularly with Phillips, the hammer blow drives the bit deeper into the screw so it doesn't twist or "cam" itself out. The shock also breaks loose the initial torque and rust. Even a partially stripped (because your screwdriver cammed itself out) Phillips head can often be broken loose. Sometimes they just can't, and you have to drill the head off.

If you work on old Japanese motorcycles, whose crankcases are put together with Phillips, you really need an impact driver.

Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
I second Snap-On. Had mine for over 40 years and still works like new.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
List price on the Snap-on unit is $300!!! However there are many on ebay for half of that, in excellent condition.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore: If you work on old Japanese motorcycles, whose crankcases are put together with Phillips, you really need an impact driver.

This is very true. My old blue Cornwell works great for that job.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
List price on the Snap-on unit is $300!!! However there are many on ebay for half of that, in excellent condition.

You can buy just the wrench for $76.25 directly from Snap-on's website. This is what I am going to do. I already have some quality bits.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam:
Vessel made in Japan!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks. Although not quite what I was looking for I will be getting one of these for my work tool box.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by am94pm:
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam:
Vessel made in Japan!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks. Although not quite what I was looking for I will be getting one of these for my work tool box.

He probably meant to link to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-..._dp_s_web_3049702011

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post