SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Officers From Different Parts of the Country Ambushed While Mowing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Officers From Different Parts of the Country Ambushed While Mowing Login/Join 
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted
About the same time, an metro officer was shot at while mowing his lawn, but it didn't make the news.

A few years ago, we responded to an assault where the homeowner was tending to his lawn and was attacked at random by a nutcase with a brick.

Do you carry when you mow? I didn't always, but have been for the last several years.

Links:

https://www.policeone.com/off-...shot-to-death-in-La/

https://bluelivesmatter.blue/d...n-cumberland-county/

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I'm out in BFE and there's bears so I carry. Also started carrying when I mowed for money cause we were in some sketchy areas.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's time to start

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I do when I mow. If I'm outside, I'm carrying. If I'm inside, I'm carrying. Some time ago I was on my front porch reading a magazine, and was visited by a bad character. He got out of his truck and came right up on the porch within spitting distance. I won't bother with the details to protect the guilty as well as the innocent, but at the time I sure wished I'd been armed. So when I'm outside, on the porch, or in my pajamas, I'm armed.

I learned this from this forum a while ago, that finally convinced me to always be prepared. Because as the guys pointed out in that thread, NOBODY is expecting ANYTHING when the shit hits the fan. I'm sitting here right now, and I'm not expecting anything bad to happen, but if it does, I'm not starting with zero (other things being equal).

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
The carry thingy is if I have my cloths on I carry,have for years now.
I have had a permit from 1962,way back then it was a s/w model 38 air weight,in the left front pocket,now days it a f&n 57X28 for more stopping power and 21 rounds in the gun.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a violent crime victim had known beforehand what was going to happen,they would have done something different

I carry inside the home and out.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I have 3 acres which I have to mow at least once a week. I have a 1955 Ford 600 tractor and woods mower. I'm out in a rural area. I keep a 1911 in a holster on the tractor at all times. Over the years I have had a lot of strangers roaming around my yard with no good reason.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
^^^me too, for "snakes and other varmints"

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I carry when I'm awake. Not to be a smart ass, but the only reason to carry a handgun is because it is small enough to be convenient to carry when you're not expecting trouble. If you were expecting trouble you should either not go to that place, or if you have to go, arm yourself with a shotgun or long gun.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I'm armed from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed. I guess one of the benefits of living in the boonies it that we don't ever see anybody who doesn't have a reason to be there. Animals are a different story.

I was ambushed by an armed nutcase once upon a time and was unarmed. The only time in my life I would have shot somebody.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm armed from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed.

Exactly, for myself and my wife. Has been this way since the mid 80s when we both decided to start carrying.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
If I'm dressed, I'm carrying. I don't mow naked.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I carry when I'm awake. Not to be a smart ass, but the only reason to carry a handgun is because it is small enough to be convenient to carry when you're not expecting trouble. If you were expecting trouble you should either not go to that place, or if you have to go, arm yourself with a shotgun or long gun.

^^^^^And bring friends, LOTS of friends, all armed with rifles too.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
If I'm dressed, I'm carrying. I don't mow naked.

If you try it, I hope your neighbors are more tolerant than mine were.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
This:

quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
I do when I mow. If I'm outside, I'm carrying.

I usually don't have a sidearm on my person while indoors at home, but my doors are always locked and there are arms within reach of just about everywhere. Yes, I keep a snub .38 in the cabinet over the shitter. Big Grin

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If the m awake and dressed, I'm carrying.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. I have a Turkish made CZ knockoff in purple. I stuff it in a shoulder bag (tactical murse) with my phone to mow. My wife says I'm crazy. She just carries an LCP for yard work.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
I have 3 acres which I have to mow at least once a week. I have a 1955 Ford 600 tractor and woods mower. I'm out in a rural area. I keep a 1911 in a holster on the tractor at all times. Over the years I have had a lot of strangers roaming around my yard with no good reason.

Amazing isn't it? I've watched them climb over a fence, past a couple No Trespassing signs to pick a flower, take a piss, take a picture.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Couple thoughts.

1. I am VERY seldom not within arm's reach of my pistol. That old saying about the sword comes to mind.

2. We live on just over 4 acres, all heavily wooded with 60+ foot tall trees and underbrush. My preferred long weapon would be a 12 ga loaded with OO.

Which reminds me that I have to get it out of the safe where I put it when I left the house for a few days.

A 12 ga 870, fully loaded with OO will ruin most any intruder's day.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I carry my Glock 19 at home and everywhere I go. I feel naked without my little black chunk. It's as trusted as a friend as my GSD. I mow's with me and goes with me.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post