SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bought an RCA flat antenna, disappointment.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought an RCA flat antenna, disappointment. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So i bought a 55 mile indoor flat amplified antenna for a tv I have. Granted I am in a remote part of the US. But I figured it would allow me to get the over the air digital channels offered in the area. Basically get the same two or three I can get with the old rabbit ears. It was $33 and was really hoping it would help, not so. If you have any suggestion please let me know. I am not the type of guy to box up and take back. As I have used it and do not think it is defective.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19181 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
You may need an antenna on a mast.
I'm in the middle of nowhere and will have to have one on a 20' mast to pick up the stations.

Use this to determine what you really need.
Those flat ones are for cities and outlying suburbs.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Return it, they are defective in my opinion. I bought one tried it didn't work either. I returned it.

Posts: 1555 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm only about 30 miles from the local stations' towers, but I skipped the RCA in favor of a Mohu Leaf 50.

I have three of them now, one for each TV in the house... no complaints. Certainly, crummy weather interferes a little, but that's just physics.

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
amplified antennas only amplify the signal that they receive,

if your signal area is crap you will only amplify a crap signal.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54636 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So i bought a 55 mile indoor flat amplified antenna for a tv I have.

That is a misleading claim, IMO. UHF and VHF-Hi are primarily line-of-sight. Let us say the broadcast tower is at 1000 feet (which is one of the higher TV broadcast towers you'll see) and your antenna is at 30 feet. LOS would be 53 miles.

That doesn't mean it cannot work. It just means that advertising such an antenna as a '55-mile" antenna is a wee bit "optimistic," IMO.

quote:
Granted I am in a remote part of the US. But I figured it would allow me to get the over the air digital channels offered in the area. Basically get the same two or three I can get with the old rabbit ears.

Too many variables to say. You need to get over to TV Fool, put your location in, then perhaps screen-shot the results and show us what they are.

As for the antenna you bought: Many so-called "digital" antennas only work well on UHF signals. Some TV stations are currently on VHF-Hi, and there is even a scattering of stations still on VHF-Lo.

E.g: I tried both a Mohu Leaf and a Winegard FlatWave Amped. My stations are all on more-or-less the same bearing, ±15 miles away. The Mohu Leaf utterly failed to get any of the VHF-Hi stations, whereas the FlatWave Amped, which is billed as a VHF-Hi/UHF antenna, got all the UHF stations the Leaf did, plus the VHF-Hi stations.

If you have any stations on VHF-Lo, probably neither of them would work.

quote:
I am not the type of guy to box up and take back. As I have used it and do not think it is defective.

You would be well w/in your rights to return it, IMO. I feel such a manufacturer's claim to be so "optimistic" as to verge on false advertising.

FWIW: I have a fairly extensive "CV" in things related to radio, antennas, transmission lines, etc.

If you are truly in a remote area, and the stations are very far away, you'd probably best be served by a rooftop antenna.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Any type of indoor antenna is not likely to work at that range. You need an old fashioned roof mast mounted Yagi antenna. And they tend to be directional, so it will need to be pointed at the transmitters you want to pick up.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I was just hoping I was not going to have to go the roof mast style route. Some of them say you can mount in the attic?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19181 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have a little GE antenna mounted on the side of my house. Leaned out a window to mount it. I put it on the side of the house that faces the city... it's still pretty underwhelming.

Works great if you speak Spanish, like home shopping channels or televangelists. Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Laws of Physics state that the best antenna is still the old fashion rooftop antenna like your grandparents had.

Lots of variables, but if you are looking for the best antenna, the old rooftop type of best.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of them say you can mount in the attic?

It may work for you, depending on your location, building materials (no tin roofs!) and such. Generally the higher you can get the antenna, the better signal you can get. If you MUST amp it, put the amp as close to the antenna as possible. And don't forget to take lightning protection into consideration for rooftop installtions.

I was able to install a full size Yagi in my dad's attic on a rotator, and he could then pick up all the stations from Providence, RI to Poland Springs ME.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
https://www.homeantenna.com/di...tenna-reception-map/ This make help to see if your area will benefit before you spend your money.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
https://antennaweb.org/Info/AntennaInfo

Another good site to figure out what will work best for you.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys. I was just hoping I was not going to have to go the roof mast style route. Some of them say you can mount in the attic?

That depends.

In general terms: The higher, the better. (Tho see story, below.) What is your roofing material? If it's steel: Forget it. If it's slate or ceramic tile: Probably not. If it's regular old shingles, well, it'll probably work ok except during heavy downpours or when there's a thick layer of snow on the roof.

This RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna with 70 Mile Range (ANT751E) gets very good reviews and can be mounted about anywhere.

It may or may not suffice for your needs.

You really need to share with us the TV Fool data for your location if you expect anything more than wild guesses.

Higher is not always better.

About the time everything went digital I decided it was time for a rooftop antenna upgrade. Bought a new antenna. New coax. A coax compression connector kit. A 10' mast to replace the 5' mast that had been up there. The appropriate ground wire as per NEC. An 8' copper-clad steel ground rod. The works. Put it all up, fired up the TV and...

Reception was crap!

Long story short: I was pointing nearly directly at a tree. There is an effect with trees called "Fresnel Effect" (yes: Just like the lens), and, near any tree, a "Fresnel zone." What I actually had to to go get my reception back where it had been was lower the antenna back down until I got into a kind of "null Fresnel effect" zone.

The optimum height ended-up being right were the old antenna had been

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I have the ANT751E, mounted about 9 feet outside. It works well in my area, picking up 48 channels. I get Chicago stuff and I'm 56 miles LOS from Willis (Sears) tower.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Long story short: I was pointing nearly directly at a tree. There is an effect with trees called "Fresnel Effect" (yes: Just like the lens), and, near any tree, a "Fresnel zone." What I actually had to to go get my reception back where it had been was lower the antenna back down until I got into a kind of "null Fresnel effect" zone.

The optimum height ended-up being right were the old antenna had been

Not understanding here. So, the lower height allowed you to shoot under the tree? Normally one tries to raise the ht such that the Fresnel "football" is above the trees, or at least try to get a larger % of the football above the trees.

I normally think of Fresnel being an issue at frequencies higher than the < 1 GHz where TV transmits, but admittedly everything scales. Really big tree?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have this Winegard HD7694P antenna mounted just above my roof line. It has a distant line of sight 68 miles away to where all of the PHX stations have their transmitters (South Mountain). Though the antenna is supposedly rated for only 50 miles, I get all of the PHX stations perfectly, both UHF and VHF-high band (channels 7-13). All of the digital broadcasts from PHX are on one or the other (VHF-high or UHF).

The hawk was not included.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Not understanding here. So, the lower height allowed you to shoot under the tree?

I can't explain it and I can't find the %!#!! paper that does.

quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Normally one tries to raise the ht such that the Fresnel "football" is above the trees, ... Really big tree?

Yes, and really too close. But, short of erecting a 20-30' mast or tower about 100' from the back of the house, there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

So it turns out that when you're in the "RF shadow" of a tree, w/in a certain distance, there is a "sweet spot" ("semi-sweet spot?") essentially directly in the center of the tree, on the bearing of the signal, where the disruption is minimized. As you move further and further out of that spot, random diffraction increases.

I think that, in that "sweet spot," the diffractions are self-canceling? (Additive?) (This is from memory and ICBW.) Obviously, when the wind starts blowing things about this all falls apart. Sure enough: When the wind starts blowing our most difficult stations would go to pieces.

It's counter-intuitive, and I found the explanation only after lowering the antenna, in trying to find out why that seemingly worked.

After I found that explanation, I went back up on the roof and eye-balled the axis of the antenna and damned if, at the height it'd been at, it wasn't nearly dead center on the tree's foliage.

I wish I could find that paper again. I probably had it bookmarked at some point, and lost those bookmarks.

Since then I tried another idea. Theorizing that if I could take that tree out of the equation by getting it out of the antenna's radiation pattern, I pointed the antenna as closely as possible to the midpoint between all the nearby trees. That put it about 15° or so off the average bearing to the stations of interest, but they're only ±15 miles away, anyway. Sure enough: We now get less interference when the wind blows. And I'm getting some Toledo stations pretty solidly, most of the time, to boot Smile

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation, ensigmatic.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...150024424#6150024424

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54636 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post