Find
Notify
Tools

Mission BBQ Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Anyone have a Mission BBQ in their area? They built one about a mile from where I work and last week all us vets at work got a free catered BBQ lunch by them, pretty damn good stuff! From what I understand, it's a Veteran-owed company that looks to employ Vets at their locations.

If you are a Vet and sign up on their website for the Veterans VIP Club, you get a free sandwich:

Please enter your info below to sign up for MISSION BBQ's Veterans VIP Club!

I love how all locations have a large US flag on a tall pole front and center to the building!

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
There are several near me. Every day at noon, they play the National Anthem and everybody stands.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
We have one here in Broward county, FL (Fort Lauderdale area) that I went to with the family and some friends a few weeks back and we were pretty happy with it too. Good BBQ and good sweet tea. Smile

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I have 2 locations local to me. Prefer the one in Charlottesville to the one in Richmond. Makes a great lunch before shopping at Costco. Love the atmosphere in there and I never feel as anything bad will happen as I suspect most of the patrons are patriots and armed, much like myself Big Grin

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
We got one last year. Excellent brisket. Wife and I share the 3 meat combo platter. Wife can't get enough of their mac & cheese.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
There are several near me. Every day at noon, they play the National Anthem and everybody stands.
That's not something you see everyday. Interesting.

It probably isn't easy for a national BBQ chain to penetrate the Texas market, but that national anthem stuff would do it. We have lots of chain BBQ here that is completely inferior (yes, I'm looking at you, Spring Creek). They should come here and be judged. Standing and putting hand over heart (or your hat, if you were wearing one) en masse for the anthem is something I miss seeing more than I ever thought I would.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
They started popping up here a few years ago. Now, they're all over the place. The newest one is less than 1/4 mile from my house. Smile

In addition to the flag and the daily playing of the anthem, they all have mobile BBQ setups. Mostly, they're built on military surplus vehicles, but there are a few different ones. The Annapolis store has a slightly smaller smoker, but I've seen them put it on a boat.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Sweet tea? Ick!

We have been to the one on University in Davie. Just about every Sunday after church.

[ Good BBQ and good sweet tea. Smile[/QUOTE]

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Darn, no locations in Georgia. They're in every state touching Ga. except for Alabama. Frown

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
We have a few around me now. They run a good business and their employees are always friendly and helpful.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Building one not 4 miles from my home now will see how it compares to the local big boy 4 Rivers...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I figured there would be at least one liberal idiot out there who would be offended by the noon playing of the national anthem and checking the Yelp reviews of my local Mission BBQ, I was dead-on: Mad

quote:

Lee Greenwood... Fox News... MISSION BBQ. What do these things all have in common? Patriotic exploitation at its finest.

When I walked into Mission BBQ at noon today, the ENTIRE RESTAURANT was standing while the Star Spangled Banner blared throughout the room as if to say "salute your meat". "But, why", you may be wondering. Because it's the gd national anthem, you commie. Mission BBQ seems to cater exclusively to the disciples of overtly-fetishized patriotism. These dopes were all standing for the national anthem AT LUNCH... IN A CHAIN RESTAURANT. Let that sink in for a moment. You wouldn't do that at TGI Friday's, would you? No? Then why would you do that at any other chain? It was absurd. Almost as absurd was all of the first-responder ephemera that decorate the walls.

Anyway, moving on to the food: It's surprisingly good for a chain BBQ place! The brisket is decent; not the best sauce, but certainly not bad... for a chain, that's really saying something. Every other bbq chain is pretty terrible. The cheesy potatoes were my favorite side dish, and I really appreciated all of the smaller soda brands that they carry. And Mission's portions are the perfect size, so I didn't leave with any regrets.

In short, if you don't like Mission BBQ, then you don't like America. But if you love meat, believe "blue lives matter", enjoy restaurants that encourage audience participation, or wish your lunchtime was more like the start of a baseball game, put on your best #MAGA cap and haul your F150 over to Mission BBQ. You won't regret it.

Mission BBQ: hunger's first responders.

I wanted to post my own Yelp review, so I took the opportunity to set this idiot straight, and yes he looks like a 20-something knit-cap-wearing bearded hipster asshole in his Yelp profile picture.
Roll Eyes

My review:

quote:

Great patriotic and Veteran-honoring BBQ spot!

But let me first address some of the slower people (bless their hearts) out there who are apparently too dull to recognize that this place was founded by two guys whose family all served in the United States military and they chose to honor…VETERANS. The horror! How DARE they honor our servicemembers, police and other first responders and the country they served by playing, GASP!, the EVIL NATIONAL ANTHEM! I suppose the sound of that to him is like a cross to a vampire, hmm?

Yes, I’m talking about this clown complaining:

“…When I walked into Mission BBQ at noon today, the ENTIRE RESTAURANT was standing while the Star Spangled Banner blared throughout the room as if to say "salute your meat". "But, why", you may be wondering. Because it's the gd national anthem, you commie. Mission BBQ seems to cater exclusively to the disciples of overtly-fetishized patriotism. These dopes were all standing for the national anthem AT LUNCH... IN A CHAIN RESTAURANT…”

“These dopes” keep your bearded, knit-cap-wearing hipster butt FREE, buddy. “These dopes” keep you safe and sound at night. “These dopes” will run into a burning building instead of out of it to rescue you, my friend.

Back to the review, enough with the pettiness of people who clearly never served their country (and would have lasted about 10 minutes in Basic Training anyway). This place opened near where I work and they catered a BBQ lunch for us Vets recently which was delicious! After signing up for the Veterans VIP club email (there they go again, those EVIL Veteran-honoring monsters!) I got an email for a free sandwich (the HORROR!) and decided to give them a try. Wow! The chopped brisket sandwich was huge and smoky/saucy deliciousness on a nice soft brioche type bun. The mac & cheese was super cheesy and great and the “cold slaw” (coleslaw) was quite tasty as well and NOT sickly sweet as too many places seem to make it. I loved the military/police/FF decor and the tall flagpole with US flag and US Army flag out front. As an Army veteran, I say HOOOAH to Mission BBQ and this is my new go-to lunch spot!

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
You should post a thank you and explain that restaurants like this exist as a direct result of the existence of douche bags like himself. So thanks for the affirmation.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
great BBQ and "chain" rarely go together.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
There is one in York and it is by far the best BBQ around this area hands down.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
My GF's brother and his had a Mission BBQ at their daughter's b-day party a few weeks ago. It was pretty good.

I think they got it from the KoP location.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The one in Richmond is grateful to men and women of the thin blue line, as well as veterans. Prices are high. Atmosphere is loud, so loud I can hardly hear my table partner.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Looks like the closest one to me is in Nashville, 200+ miles.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like one is pretty near one of the gates for Fort Belvoir near me. I'll have to check it out. Smile

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love this place. I either hit the new one in Warminster or the one down on the Boulevard with some frequency. Now I want BBQ.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post