SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Minnesota anglers charged for catching 253 fish over legal limit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minnesota anglers charged for catching 253 fish over legal limit Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
They were biting good Red Face

A Minnesota couple was charged with possessing too many crappies after an anonymous caller tipped off the state’s Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

According to The Kansas City Star, a group of six was spotted by another angler catching crappies and keeping them at Lake Sisseton. The unidentified angler, who thought there were more than 100 fish that had been hooked by the group, called the Turn in Poachers hotline to report them.

Authorities followed the tip and tracked down two vehicles belonging to the group reported at the lake. One of the vehicles led to Mountain Lake couple, Isouvahn Xayachack, 70, and Chanhthone Phongsim, 60, the Star reported.

The couple originally denied that they had any crappies in their home, but Xayachack, who told officers the fish “were biting good” that day, allowed authorities check the freezer.

According to the Star, the conservation officers found no crappies in the first freezer, but found “a large amount of packaged crappies” in the second freezer.

The DNR totaled 273 crappies altogether – 253 crappies over the legal imit and an amount conservation officer Dustin Miller told Newsweek was “the largest fish case I’ve had in my career.”

Fishing regulations for 2018 in Minnesota limits the amount of crappies to 10 per person.

The authorities allowed the couple “to keep their legal possession limit of 20” – 10 per person, the Star reported. The couple was informed they would have to eat their crappies before catching more.

The couple was charged with having more than the legal limit of crappies in their possession – if found guilty, the couple could be fined and ordered to pay restitution up to $3,000, the Star reported.

Others in the group were contacted and investigated, but no other instances of illegal crappie possession were found. However, Kaew Chakvong, a member of the group, was cited for fishing without a valid license, the Star reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/great-o...ere-biting-good.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I can't abide folks like that. Simply can't. Sure, fish the whole damn lake out because you wanna eat cheap. Assholes.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a big crappie investigation!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Hmong immigrants seem to have a tough time grasping game and fish laws despite having been in the country for 30 years.

Back in the 90s, a couple smoked a pair of swans in a park in St Cloud.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
The Hmong immigrants seem to have a tough time grasping game and fish laws despite having been in the country for 30 years.

When I was at school in Richmond, every weekend in the spring there would be a group of Asians, Vietnamese, from the sound of it, so maybe Hmong, who would come and fish in the campus lake and fill coolers with their catch. What's up with that? Is it a cultural thing? I mean, there were no signs posted about not fishing in the lake, but it's clearly an ornamental lake and I don't really recall many other people ever fishing in it except for this group.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
That doesn't sound right. The legal limit to catch is10.
But not being able to fill a home Freezer?
I'm not gonna go look it up but i can go every day catch my10 go home and put them up. Come back the next do the same.

I'm not an expert but i think this isn't correct ...

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Most states have a daily limit and a possession limit. The ones in the freezer count towards the possession limit.

Posts: 829 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

Not in MN. The possession and daily limits are the same. Dumb law.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted August 06, 2018 06:54 PM Hide Post
That doesn't sound right. The legal limit to catch is10.
But not being able to fill a home Freezer?
I'm not gonna go look it up but i can go every day catch my10 go home and put them up. Come back the next do the same.

I'm not an expert but i think this isn't correct ...

Crappy reporting here. No pun intended. Important details likely left out. I do not think this is a cultural thing. Learn the damn rules and follow them. It is a moral issue. One of the most dangerous jobs in the country is a Wildlife Agent. These people ignore the rules and expect to get by.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I enjoy watching shows like "Lone Star Law" and "North Woods Law". Quite frequently, for whatever reason, when they bust individuals for poaching fish, over limit, or size limit violations the violators are of Asian descent. On a few occasions after being ticket and even having boats and equipment seized they expected to be able to keep the fish.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The couple was informed they would have to eat their crappies before catching more.

LOL

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Had to look it up: Louisiana has a 50 daily with 100 fish possession limit with lower limits in certain areas (25-50).

How a Cajun can live within this limit is beyond me. I am surprised that we even have a limit on sac-a-lait. My Grand-père must be flipping in his grave.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2270 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I've seen Asians shoot way over their limit hunting mourning doves in Colorado. They set up shop with a cooker and eat them as they bring them from the field. They also camp (when hunting doves) for several days, even though camping isn't allowed. There's no limit to the selfishness.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Ukrainians are the prime offenders here.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
The most I’ve ever seen is 48. 253 is quite the “catch” so to speak.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

Folks from the mountains, talk to the Vietnamese and they regard them as hillbillies or, rednecks. Great fighters during the war but, there's a reason why they didn't get along with each other and only worked with Americans.

253...that's beyond willful ignorance but, outright flaunting the law.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
We have a Hmong population here, and they're known for cleaning out fishing holes. The limit of trout is seven, and they'll fill a cooler from one hole right after it's been stocked. Same with the local stocked catfish pond.
They road hunt for deer, and kill anything that moves. I don't know if it's all of them, but one neighborhood is well known for it.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The Vietnamese I work with here hate them. They call them the mountain people.

They say they strip the land of every living thing and move on the next area to decimate. It's just part of their "culture".

There are no deer left to hunt in Vietnam, so whenever I get deer meat, the Vietnamese here offer me hundreds of dollars for a section to freeze and take back to their family there.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
In my neck of the woods it's mostly folks from Central and South America getting caught up in this type of thing. Taking cast nets to the river and harvesting everything to feed their families.

We have quite a few springs flowing out of the mountains. It used to be you could just stop on a mountain road and fill up a water jug at a spring. Now it's not safe due to immigrants washing clothes and bathing at the springs.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that's very excessive

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post