SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to Remove 43 Year-old Shower Head?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to Remove 43 Year-old Shower Head? Login/Join 
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted
I consider myself a pretty handy guy, but this job worries me. The shower head is original builder instalation. Back then they used pipe thread cement, and now there is 43 years of lime, as well. I am concerned about breaking the solder joint inside the wall if I get too aggressive, and I don't want to bugger the shower head neck. Will heat soften the cement? Any thoughts, experience?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have a picture? Heat should soften the cement.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I would put a pipe wrench on the shower head spigot pipe to stabilize it and ensure that the spigot doesn't rotate when you try to remove the shower head. You can also put some heat on the head to pipe junction as jimmy notes, or, if you have the time, hit it with some penetrating oil to soften up the connection.

Oh, and go gently. Pressure and patience is your friend.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fitting the shower head goes into should be anchored. Since showerhead arms are usually brass, it shouldn't be a problem.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
If you can disassemble the shower head from its face, to see inside, you may see if the pipe threads are still good. If so I'd support the nipple with a pipe wrench and try to unscrew the head. If it is soldered you may end up replacing the nipple or shortening it by tube cutter and chasing new threads. I have to date never seen a compression fit shower head.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Not a Plumber. but I have very carefully chiseled out broken shower head necks plenty of times. (Owned some rentals awhile back.) The neck pipe is much softer material than the brass base it screws into. "That"s if it breaks."

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Before you try, soak it with Kroil for 24 hours.

Then follow ArtieS's advice.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31420 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Please update your post once you have a status of what happened and what you did. I'm curious to know what happened.

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Apply some heat don’t go stupid with it. Use 2 wrenches being sure to preload the fixed side wrench. I predict it will come apart much easier than you think.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5145 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nut cracker. Clamp like device with a sharp, hardened edge on one jaw. Use one to clamp on to the old shower head, breaking the nut/female threads. It will break it and make the piece easier to unscrew. If necessary, chase the threads with a pipe thread die.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I’m amazed a shower head lasted 43 years. How is hat even possible?

Posts: 13086 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
^^^
It’s a safe bet the replacement won’t last a tenth of that.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We have remodeled several houses and I have learned to hate old plumbing because it is brittle and often leaks after you screw with it. If you are not sure call a plumber.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Two pipe wrenches.

One to hold the pipe from wall super secure so you aren't twisting it in any way. The other on the head itself where it gets all the force.

I tried this with a drain line in a wall for a new sink in my powder room, and ended up cracking the circa-1951 pipe IN THE WALL Mad

Had to call in a plumber who was luckily able to cut in from the other side of the wall in LR rather than bust out a lot of beautiful old tile on the bathroom wall side.

quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I’m amazed a shower head lasted 43 years. How is hat even possible?

Are you kidding? All the old stuff is built like Soviet tanks. I replaced one that was 67 years old and weighed like 5 pounds.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can soak a rag in vinegar, and wrap it around the threaded joint. If lime is a problem, the vinegar should help. Muriatic acid would work and be much faster.

Personally I find the heat and quench method provides great results.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Muriatic acid

Whoa now. That stuff will melt the entire shower head, not sure that's what he needs. At a minimum it will remove all finish from nipple and likely pit it. Also bubble like crazy and be super dangerous.

If for Some reason you try that, wear proper PPE and dilute the hell out of the acid.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post