SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    the principle that stole christmas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the principle that stole christmas Login/Join 
Picture of side_shot
posted
thank god she got canned

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/BPPrBkFE4y4

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
And here I was expecting the “principle” to have something to do with the separation of church and state. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
In this case it really WAS the principal of the thing!

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Her loss. There is a special place reserved in hell for her.

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
She didn’t get very good advice before she acted. Now she’ll need an attorney to advise her; hopefully she’ll get better advice this time from an advisor associated with the bar - one of my pet peeves to go with principle and principal.

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Certainly an unprincipled principal.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Lots of Danish Viking descendants here in Cheyenne country. One time-honored seasonal secular tradition, ages old, is leaving the mentally infirm out on the ice for the white bears. Sometimes the old ways are best.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Here’s the print version

“An elementary school principal in Elkhorn Public Schools may have earned the inside track to Santa’s naughty list.

Manchester Elementary principal Jennifer Sinclair issued a memo to staff prohibiting all Christmas-related symbols at the school northwest of 168th and Blondo Streets.

The memo caused an uproar with parents and teachers, some of whom got in touch with a Florida-based First Amendment group, Liberty Counsel.

District spokeswoman Kara Perchal released a statement on behalf of the district indicating that, as of Thursday, Sinclair had been placed on administrative leave. Perchal said there would be no further comment since it was a personnel issue.

The district said it wouldn’t make the memo public, but Liberty Counsel did.

Banned items listed included Santas, Christmas trees, “Elf on the Shelf,” singing Christmas carols, playing Christmas music, candy canes and reindeer, homemade ornament gifts, Christmas movies and red and green items.

Regarding candy canes, the notice said, “the shape is a ‘J’ for Jesus.” An ornament? “This assumes that the family has a Christmas tree, which assumes they celebrate Christmas. I challenge the thought of, ‘Well they can just hang it somewhere else.’ ”

Liberty Counsel sent a letter to the Elkhorn district asserting that the ban showed hostility to Christians and demanding its reversal.

District officials hastily reversed the ban, saying the principal had violated district policy.

Justin Knight, a lawyer representing the district, replied to Liberty Counsel in a letter.

He wrote that the administration had “advised Manchester Elementary School staff members of the applicable Board Policy (that does allow certain Christmas symbols) and will work with staff to correct any erroneous communications and clarify any misunderstandings.”

Every winter, America’s educators wrestle with how to deal with the First Amendment’s Establishment Clause — commonly interpreted as requiring the separation of church and state — while recognizing the traditions on which the holidays are based.

Although most public school districts have found a way to balance those interests, fear of lawsuits and confusion about the law have driven some school boards and teachers to cut religious symbols or songs from school settings.

Over time, in an effort to recognize students of different faiths or no faith at all, schools have renamed Christmas parties and Christmas concerts as holiday parties and holiday concerts. Halloween parties have been renamed harvest parties.

Generally, attorneys say schools are fine including religious songs and symbols, as long as school officials are not excluding the songs or symbols of certain groups, there’s some educational purpose to them and they’re not advocating one faith over another.

That leads, in many cases, to holiday programs featuring Christian, Jewish and Kwanzaa songs, as well as secular ones.

Critics are quick to point out when educators don’t get it right. Conservative media outlets and Christian websites, sensitive to any evidence of a “war on Christmas,” picked up on the Elkhorn story this week. They included Glenn Beck’s The Blaze, the Drudge Report and Rush Limbaugh.

The Elkhorn district has a policy to guide teachers regarding religion in the classroom.

The policy says that “Christmas trees, Santa Claus, and Easter eggs and bunnies are considered to be secular, seasonal symbols and may be displayed as teaching aids provided they do not disrupt the instructional program for students.”

Teachers may teach about religious holidays as part of “an objective and secular educational program,” it says.

Celebrating religious holidays in the form of religious worship or other similar practices is prohibited at school, it says.

The policy says the study of holidays should “reflect the diverse heritage of the United States.”

Religious symbols, such as crosses, crèches or menorahs may be used as teaching aids in the classroom, provided that the symbols are displayed as an example of the cultural and/or religious heritage of the holiday and are temporary in nature, it says.

If put on a bulletin board, the policy says, religious symbols may be viewed as promoting a certain religious perspective.

Music, art, literature and drama with religious themes may be included in Elkhorn teaching about holidays, “provided that they are presented in a religiously neutral, prudent and objective manner and related to sound, secular educational goals.”

Mat Staver, founder and chairman of Liberty Counsel, said the principal’s memo was the “most unique and I would say outrageous example” he’s seen of censoring Christmas symbols.

He called it “blatantly unconstitutional.”

“I don’t see how anyone could have claimed ignorance and claimed this was required by church-and-state law,” he said. “It just goes far beyond anything I’ve ever seen.”

He said he had never seen such a detailed list of what’s acceptable and what’s not.

The principal did allow some items, among them sledding, hot chocolate, polar bears, penguins, snowmen, gingerbread people, yetis and Olaf , the snowman from Disney’s “Frozen.”

Staver said the principal indicated in her memo that she wanted to be inclusive, but that her ban excluded Christians and people who celebrate Christmas.

Staver said his organization was prepared to sue if the ban was upheld. Liberty Counsel is an international nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing religious freedom, the sanctity of life and the family, with pro bono assistance and representation.

Thankfully, Staver said, district officials responded quickly to their demand letter.

Sinclair, the principal, worked in Westside Community Schools before taking the Elkhorn job.

She was a teacher leader at Hillside Elementary from 2015 to 2018, according to Westside spokeswoman Brandi Paul. Prior to that, she was a second-grade teacher at Westbrook Elementary from 2012 to 2015.

Efforts to reach Sinclair for comment were unsuccessful Thursday, but in an email to parents Wednesday she said she made a mistake, contrary to district policy, and sincerely apologized to the staff for any confusion, concern and negative attention it brought the school.

“I love the Manchester staff and our students,” she said. “It is an honor to serve as the principal at Manchester Elementary.”

She’s been suspended.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
How can these twits make an establishment argument against Christmas when it is a FEDERALLY recognized holiday? It’s so stupid.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always another empowered lefty in the pipeline. I walked away from a teacher yesterday who claimed the French had "more experience with revolution" than the US. WTF was 1776 all about?

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Always another empowered lefty in the pipeline. I walked away from a teacher yesterday who claimed the French had "more experience with revolution" than the US. WTF was 1776 all about?

As I recall, they helped.

They've also changed governments how many times since then?

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
quote:

As I recall, they helped.

They've also changed governments how many times since then?

And they've tried to deal with them too ... Indochina, anyone?

Posts: 2539 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, maybe she meant "current experience"? Roll Eyes
It seems the French may have a revolution going on now...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24049 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suspect her exposure to American History only goes back 50 years (if that).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I don't know how these people, that think they are so educated and enlightened, can get so far off track. It's not like she just fell off the turnip truck bumped her head and woke up thinking she had to save her school from candy canes. Unfortunately there are more idiots out there just like her. Thankfully she got called out and it was addressed.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post