SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have any experience with any of the mobile medical alert systems? I’m looking for recommendations.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have any experience with any of the mobile medical alert systems? I’m looking for recommendations. Login/Join 
posted
My mom is 83 years old and lives alone about 2 miles from me. It’s time to get her a system where she can call me or emergency responders via a device she can wear on her person.

One of my main concerns in researching systems is that the audio volume be very high and the responders on the other end speak pretty clear English. She is extremely hard of hearing and rarely wears her hearing devices. With her hearing loss certain accents make it very difficult for her to understand.

I imagine the device would need to be cellular as she still likes to get out a bit by herself.

I've researched several on the web and of course they all claim to be the best.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Apple’s series 4 (released a few months ago) watch has fall detection, heart monitoring (enabled soon) and can be bought with LTE (cellular). She can make a 911 call on it, call you, etc. There is a button on it to call emergency services (911). Take a look.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And hearing aids can be had that are compatible with the iPhone using Bluetooth. When my phone rings, I hear it thru my hearing aids.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
When my parents were still living, and were at their home, both had the button they wore around their neck. The other option was one you wore on your wrist.

One time my Mom fell face first outside on the porch. Dad was asleep and did not hear her yelling and she was laying on top of the device and thus could not press the button. Fortunately an hour/two later a neighbor saw her and summoned help.

At that time they did not offer "fall detection" so be sure to include that in case it is only offered as an option.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses

olfuzzy, I checked out the suggestions on the website and will be talking with my mother this evening regarding 2 of the recommended products to determine which she prefers.

Fredward, I know what you mean about the HA's. I can do that with mine as well. But she doesn't have a smart phone and wouldn't know how to use it anyway.

John

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
We just got Medical Guardian device a couple months ago from Costco for my mother in law. She had a stroke and hospital strongly suggested she have one of the things.

Device was $120 with three months “free” service. And $10 off monthly as Costco price.

Cellular, works on ATT network. Fall detection, water resistant can stay on in shower. As long as you are paying for service, fob is “insured” from loss or damage via free replacement.

Looks like it was #1 on that link.

No problems so far.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10918 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I don't have any experience with purchasing medical alert systems, but from working in EMS I do have experience in responding to calls initiated from a medical alert system.

My advice to you is make sure you have a way for First Responders to enter her house to render aid. Hidden Key, Key Pad lock, something. Sometimes we spend way too much time trying to make entry to the house. If we don't hear or see any critical issues, we try our best to not have to have Fire break down the door.

Posts: 1693 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
three people here in tiny town purchased three different brands.

All three got returned,
seems that these devices were designed to work in the big cities.

#1 : fell down and the device did not call him back , nor did they call anyone to check on him.
the company , ( some guy in India at a call center) blamed the the telephone system.

#2 : tested her system , it took them an hour to call her next of kin, they blamed her for not setting up her system correctly ,

she reset the system and the 911 operator called her for no reason to check on her.

#3 tested his and nothing happened,
the company (some guy in a call center on another continent) said all of the lines were busy , sorry .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmparrish:

My advice to you is make sure you have a way for First Responders to enter her house to render aid. Hidden Key, Key Pad lock, something. Sometimes we spend way too much time trying to make entry to the house. If we don't hear or see any critical issues, we try our best to not have to have Fire break down the door.

I can't re-emphasize this enough...

get a realtors lock box and hang it on the front doorknob, then contact the local 911 center and have them put an Alert on the address with the key code. This will be in the call notes when Fire/EMS/PD get dispatched

Super simple, and it will keep the responders from damaging doors or windows and will reduce the time they spend to try and make entry.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post