SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help on hat to wear with Electronic Ear Pro
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help on hat to wear with Electronic Ear Pro Login/Join 
posted
I want to get a tight seal with Sordin MSA Supreme Pro-X. My dermatologist suggests wide brimmed hat but I think that would interfere with getting a good seal. I did find something searching the internet although it is not my style. What do others suggest? Here is the link to the Boonie hat:

http://ar15buildbox.mybnbwebsi...ie-Hat-x15994801.htm

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Maybe one of those baseball caps that has the neck flap?

https://www.amazon.com/Flap-Ca...-Shade/dp/B006HV5MBI

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have never had much luck with a hat and ear muffs.

Posts: 5618 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
You may be trying to buy hearing protection to wear with a hat.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Can you get a larger size boonie that fits over the Sordin's? (instead of wearing the Sordin's over the hat).

Or cut notches into the side of the boonie and the reseal with velcro after slipping the ear muffs through the notches?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is similar to what you are talking about:
ENHANCED LIGHTWEIGHT BOONIE HATS

Integrated Electronic Hearing Muff Boonie Hat

Lightweight Boonie Hat with enhanced features:

Ventilated hat band that breathes easily, allowing trapped body heat to shed
Brim snaps around electronic hearing muffs so sun protection is not lost
Mesh rear neck veil protects neck while facilitating heat shed, doubles as a front veil when hat is turned around
50/50 Nylon/Cotton ripstop construction
Day Glo Orange signal panel/pocket inside cap
Velcro pile tape patches on top and rear of hat
Machine or hand wash, air/drip dry
Available in Multicam or Kryptek Highlander with a Small or Large Brim

It is pricey at 65 bucks, but much less than what my dermatologist charges.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
www.coolibar.com

Look at the Ultrasport, Supersport and Chlorine resistant Ultrasport hats with complete veils. They are well made and outlast and perform better than others I have tried. They are washable.

They work fine with the veil between ears and earmuffs; it doesn't seem to lessen the noise protection.

If you don't want the best sun protection from the veil type hats, look at Coolibar's 'bucket' hats. They might fit easily over your Sordins.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...311011_t3_B00P63NMJC

I would choose version with behind head band and wear hat of choice.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I picked up the behind the neck pros for this reason.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a wide brimmed hat. I use a larger size than normal, and cut out a tee shaped slot on both sides. The ear muffs are inserted into the cut slots. This works well.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I wear an Outdoor Research SunRunner and just put the muffs over the flaps The fabric is pretty thin and I get a very nice seal. I do wear plugs along with my muffs though.

Looks like the new SunRunner model the neck flap in snaps from the bill may me able to put the hat on undo the flap at the bill put your muffs on then snap the flaps over and not have the fabric in the muffs.

https://www.backcountry.com/ou...nner-upf-30-cap?rr=t

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Most MagPul baseball hats are missing the knobbie on the top.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
I picked up the behind the neck pros for this reason.

Same here. Speaking of which they should be here tomorrow, so that I can listen to the eclipse safely. Wink

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Same here. Speaking of which they should be here tomorrow, so that I can listen to the eclipse safely.

Post back if you would. I am still in process of deciding. My main concern is that they are comfortable and do not slide off my head. I am not doing any tacticool stuff for the most part, but would like to wear either a ball cap or fishing type hat with earflaps and neck protection.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Same here. Speaking of which they should be here tomorrow, so that I can listen to the eclipse safely.

Post back if you would. I am still in process of deciding. My main concern is that they are comfortable and do not slide off my head. I am not doing any tacticool stuff for the most part, but would like to wear either a ball cap or fishing type hat with earflaps and neck protection.

The Sordins arrived yesterday. They seem amazing, with the volume turned up I can hear better than when wearing my hearing aids. I will be going to the outdoor range tonight, and hoping they give way better noise protection than my over one year old $30 Caldwell electronic muffs, which do not seem to work so well lately.
In answer to ZSMICHAEL, I can wear a ball cap on top of the Sordins but cannot wear the cap as close to my ears as I would like, however it is very comfortable to wear the muffs over the cap. I do not have a fishing style hat to try out, but I suspect the results would be similar.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Wear the fox hat

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

]

+1 this is exactly what I did.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
quote:

]

Mine that just came in are the "neckband" model, and I can not wear a ballcap over them pulled far enough down so that the wind does not blow it off. The top of the muffs themeselves prevent wearing the cap in the "normal" posistion

posted Hide Post
Any more ideas? Still in process of making a decision. Thanks

Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
quote:

]

Mine that just came in are the "neckband" model, and I can not wear a ballcap over them pulled far enough down so that the wind does not blow it off. The top of the muffs themeselves prevent wearing the cap in the "normal" posistion

well, mine are actually the TCI DEHP, but I thought it was the same fit as the MSA/Sordins/etc. either way, they work under a hat for me.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post