SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Schoolgirl pulls 4 ft sword from Cornish lake
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Schoolgirl pulls 4 ft sword from Cornish lake Login/Join 
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted
Cue the Python quotes!

quote:
A seven-year-old school girl had a legendary holiday after pulling a giant four-foot sword from the Cornish Lake where Arthur threw Excalibur.

Matilda Jones was wading through water waist-deep at Dozmary Pool when she stumbled across the blade underwater.

According to local folklore, Dozmary Pool is the spot where King Arthur returned Excalibur after being fatally wounded in the Battle of Camlann.

It is said to have been accepted by the Lady of the Lake, whose arm mysteriously rose from the water to received the fabled blade.

Ironically, her father Paul Jones, 51, had recounted the story of King Arthur to Matilda and her sister Lois, four, moments before the discovery.

Mr Jones, from Doncaster in south Yorkshire, said: 'It was a blistering hot day and Matilda asked if we could go for a paddle.

'She was only waist deep when she said she could see a sword.

'I told her not to be silly and it was probably a bit of fencing, but when I looked down I realised it was a sword. It was just there laying flat on the bottom of the lake.

'The sword is 4ft long - exactly Matilda's height.'

Legend has it that King Arthur first received Excalibur from the Lady of Lake in Dozmary Pool after rowing out to receive it.

After being mortally wounded he asked to be taken there so he could return the sword to her.

After three attempts, his loyal follower Bedivere cast it into the water and the Lady of the Lake's arm rose to receive it.

The pool, in the civil parish of Altarnun on Bodmin Moor, was said to be bottomless until droughts in 1859 and 1976 dried it out completely and revealed it is, in fact, and shallow pond.

Matilda shares her name with Empress Matilda, the daughter of King Henry I and heir to the English throne in the 12th century.

While it may be exciting to believe a young with such a regal name has written her own chapter in the Arthurian legend - her father thinks the sword's origins are more recent.

Mr Jones said: 'I don't think it's particularly old. It's probably an old film prop.'

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
So is she the queen now?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34106 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Help, help! I'm being repressed! Come see the violence inherent in the system!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
On a side note, dad seems like a bit of a wet blanket. A sword? Don't be silly - that's just a piece of fencing. Oh, it is a sword. Well, it's probably not real, and not old.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.

Dennis? Is that you, Dennis?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
On a side note, dad seems like a bit of a wet blanket. A sword? Don't be silly - that's just a piece of fencing. Oh, it is a sword. Well, it's probably not real, and not old.

Or, maybe it's all a set up. You know, these days, I read almost everything with a high degree of skepticism.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Or, maybe it's all a set up. You know, these days, I read almost everything with a high degree of skepticism.

This. I smell a rat in Denmark.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I'm not old.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Fake as can be, but cool as hell for the girl, even if it is just a film prop.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

This. I smell a rat in Denmark.
He just happened to recount the legend before she went wading in the pond, then she just happened to come across the sword ... Right.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

When did you get out?

Posts: 7450 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I'm not old.

you'll be stone dead in a moment!

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
If not a blatant setup by the father (who ironically told the story of Arthur moments before the "discovery"), then the weapon was just chucked in the lake by someone else who also knew the legend.

OTOH, weird things do happen. I was in Japan once, up in the foothills. For some reason we started talking about monkeys. I asked if there were any around this area, and my friend assured me there were none in this prefecture. He had scarcely finished his sentence when I looked into a field and glanced at maybe 30 monkeys. My friend said I was mistaken, and said at most I saw a bunch of farmers dressed up in monkey suits (??). When we stoped at the next intersection, I told my friend to look behind him. The monkey tribe had just reached the side road. He had no explanation, but now his parents think we're both out of our minds, there's no monkeys in this prefecture.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16318 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
watery tart

I don't know exactly why, but that's just funny!

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.

....good GAWD man....that's NOT a 'scimitar'....
pull yerself together before they increase your dose of therapeutic nostril beetles again....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
If not a blatant setup by the father (who ironically told the story of Arthur moments before the "discovery"), then the weapon was just chucked in the lake by someone else who also knew the legend.

OTOH, weird things do happen. I was in Japan once, up in the foothills. For some reason we started talking about monkeys. I asked if there were any around this area, and my friend assured me there were none in this prefecture. He had scarcely finished his sentence when I looked into a field and glanced at maybe 30 monkeys. My friend said I was mistaken, and said at most I saw a bunch of farmers dressed up in monkey suits (??). When we stoped at the next intersection, I told my friend to look behind him. The monkey tribe had just reached the side road. He had no explanation, but now his parents think we're both out of our minds, there's no monkeys in this prefecture.

Kinda like the time I told my illegal Mexican national arrestee not to worry, because I'd never seen an ICE agent at the jail in my career, and the first person we saw when the Sally port opened was the newly assigned ICE agent Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post