SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Dial Up Beware". Is there ANYONE who still uses dial-up?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Dial Up Beware". Is there ANYONE who still uses dial-up? Login/Join 
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted
I see the occasional post with the warning of "dial-up beware", due to there being lots of pictures in the post. Is this still necessary?

Question:
Do you use a dial-up connection to access the internet?

Choices:
Yes
No
Not certain - I mostly just shout at the Internet

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
Anything less than 1.0 Mbps would be considered dial-up speeds. Most folks have 100 Mbps in the home if not 1.0 Gbps. All orders of magnitude and relative to where you are.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Last time I used dial up was at a warehouse I rented. Nothing there at the time even resembled high speed. Close to ten years ago. Actually served the purpose at the time. I guess like all dial up. Just slow.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
2005 was probably the last time...used my LG flip phone to connect my laptop to the internet to get my email.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My parents got cable internet in 2003/4 and I thought even that was late to ditch dialup. I guess some folks are really out there.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
With the complexity of nearly every web page these days I would be surprised if anything would even load on dial up any more.

I will say what's nice about SIGforum is the simple interface. It's one of the few things that will still load when I have almost no signal on my phone. Thanks Para!

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
With a cable modem that I just tested at 66 mbps, I'm "spoiled" and would have to be in dire straits to have to go back to dial-up.

quote:
Is there ANYONE who still uses dial-up?

Bendable? Big Grin This was some time ago, however.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't used dial up in years, but the "Dial up beware" warning isn't obsolete, for reasons other than "dial up". Mobile devices, particularly older ones, don't have near the bandwidth of a typical home Internet connection, and those slow speeds are very impacted by photo heavy pages. The cell phone I replaced 6 months ago had become OK for reading email, but useless for loading any but the simplest web pages.

Remote areas often aren't served by cable, and may only have access to the Internet via dial up or DSL, which is quite slow compared to the 100 mbps many enjoy. My mother-in-law lives in Michigan's upper peninsula and cable Internet service on a good day rarely tops 30 mbps. Not enough to stream a TV show or movie. They still have DVD rental stores in her town because nobody has enough bandwidth to stream video over the Internet.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
There was a member last year or the year before who said he only had 10MBs of bandwidth per week. I realize that's a limit on data and not speed, but still shows that people have limitations in this day and age.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Bendable? Big Grin

Well, that would explain why he's so adamant in his proclamations that nobody should ever be allowed to post photos over 400x400. Wink

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've got to wonder if there is any real savings for dial-up.

Those that still have it you are paying for an additions line or just your regular phone line.

Besides my parents and older family members most people I know don't even have land lines anymore. Come to think of it I don't know anyone under 50 that has a land line still.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I speedtest.net tested my current connection. Im on my phone. Wifi got me 6Mbps down and 5Mbps up. 4g cell internet got me 9Mbps down and .47Mbps upload.

A couple TVs in the house are most likely streaming netflix, so my 4g was faster than my apartments wifi. But the upload on the wifi was fantastic, comparitively.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Still a few folk who are remote enough that copper line access is all there is for them. Either dial up or DSL.

Coax cable is predicated on user density and subscribers to pay for and maintain the plant making it unavailable in many rural areas.

Some satellite services require a wired phone line, (for upstream). Hughesnet does not. But it is not available in all areas.

bendable's Intergalactic Mothership Service™ likely is still using RSP/TP (Roswell Standard Protocol/Terra Protocol), and that is like, so 1940s...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mkueffer:
Anything less than 1.0 Mbps would be considered dial-up speeds. Most folks have 100 Mbps in the home if not 1.0 Gbps. All orders of magnitude and relative to where you are.
Speedtest says the average download is 55 Mbps.

What are your speeds based on?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23218 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I run about 212 MBPS on google fiber.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Cable is not available in my neighborhood. I have DSL and get about 4 MB down, right around 1 up. The folks on the other side of the highway from me don't even have DSL. Not sure if it's true dial up or not. We are talking $600k houses and up too!

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DSL 6mb down .7 up; dang glad to have it too.

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
It is not uncommon for our service to be less than 1 meg, dialup speeds by most standards. For that privilege we pay a hefty $200 a month (includes our land line).

I can't even begin to tell you the trouble it took just to get those speeds....and we live in city limits. Across the street from the high school and middle school.

Remote villages have better internet than we do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Isn't asking "does anyone still use dialup" kind of like asking "are you asleep?" If they are, they can't answer you!

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by mkueffer:
Speedtest says the average download is 55 Mbps.

What are your speeds based on?

Just the normal home network speeds. 10/100/1000 Mbps. Most folks also bo not realize that the consumer grade router/firewalls do not have high throughput to support 1Gbps speeds from the provider if it's available to them.

I have 300/20 service from Spectrum. It's great but I know that my hardware tops out at 250Mbps so that is what I can get consistently. I am allowed 2 connections to the provider modem, and one for my personal network and one for the work setup. Work limits my connection to 60/10 simply because they need to limit the 1000's of inbound home connections.

Most provider networks get refreshed every 3-5 years to keep upping the total capacity of their networks. That results in customers getting the speed bumps.

I'm not impressed with any of the speed test sites. I run Speedtest.com and receive shit results 100/10, run he speed test on Spectrum.com and get 250/20. I know what my equipment can do (I have access to 40G/10G equipment Wink ) and I think that the folks with the lower speeds never run speed test like the bandwidth hogs do.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post