SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Had a scare tonight
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had a scare tonight Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Well, maybe more like I was startled. About dusk I went out to fill the birdbath and grabbed the hose laying on the ground (one of those black collapsible ones) and it slithered out of my hand. Damn rat/chicken snake.

I don’t mind snakes but I’m not overly fond of handling them.

On a positive note, I haven’t seen any poisonous snakes in quite a few years. The first couple of years after we had the house built I was killing 5-10 baby copperheads a year but never saw an adult. After I got some chickens the mice appeared, then the rat snakes, and haven’t seen a copperhead since.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
If you pick one up and it's an Alabama black snake, put it down!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
A rather good snake to have around. Does keep the copperhead population in check...

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
If I had a place with copperheads and/or rattlesnakes, I would build several brush piles on the property and buy some black snakes to release.

http://www.backwaterreptiles.c...-snake-for-sale.html

http://www.backwaterreptiles.c...-snake-for-sale.html

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FLASHLIGHT!!!! Eek

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I woulda sharted. Snakes are some sneaky bastards

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Come on...tell the truth. You squealed like a little girl didn't you? Razz

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
You squealed like a little girl didn't you?

I did just reading the OP's post!

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's shrink your sphincter.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the birds called, they say thanks for the water

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I just moved a tarp today. Gardner snake startled me. It was the thickest one I ever saw.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3864 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I found my first snake of the year by accident yesterday...I was digging out some wild violets and grabbed a ringneck with my pull. I'll admit it startled me. It looked at me like "who are you and why are you holding me " Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Creepy.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
I just missed grabbing a baby copperhead doing some yard work a couple of weeks back. Thankfully a shovel was close by and took care of that problem. Scared the hell out of me though!

Posts: 1010 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryanZ06:
I just missed grabbing a baby copperhead doing some yard work a couple of weeks back. Thankfully a shovel was close by and took care of that problem. Scared the hell out of me though!

Did you wait until it finished doing the yard work?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Well, my little buddy was back tonight. I don’t know if it’s a male looking for a hole in that black hose or a female impressed with the length but it seems infatuated with that hose. I did make sure I got hold of the hose and not my little friend tonight. Big Grin

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
I'd get a different color hose.

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
Originally posted by bryanZ06:

Did you wait until it finished doing the yard work?

Wink

I just decided to rid the world of that evil little thing right then and there!

Posts: 1010 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Start at the hydrant and work you way out to the end of the hose.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
On a positive note, I haven’t seen any poisonous snakes in quite a few years. The first couple of years after we had the house built I was killing 5-10 baby copperheads a year but never saw an adult. After I got some chickens the mice appeared, then the rat snakes, and haven’t seen a copperhead since.

This is the long-term key. Remove the snake's food source, and they won't come around.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post