SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I thought GFCI outlets were for wet and humid conditions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I thought GFCI outlets were for wet and humid conditions Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Why then, is there a little sticker on the $20 ( Eek) GFCI outlet that says, "CAUTION - Not to be used in wet and humid conditions"? Roll Eyes

Also, why is that I can buy 15A outlets for $.69 apiece and 20A outlets are $5 apiece? Mad What a frickin' ripoff!

And don't get me started on lumber. $5 for an 8' 2X4. Roll Eyes Mad

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like anything the devil is in the details, you want WR ones. Here's the code.
406.8 Receptacles in Damp or Wet Locations.
(A) Damp Locations. A receptacle installed outdoors in a location protected from the weather or in other damp locations shall have an enclosure for the receptacle that is weatherproof when the receptacle is covered (attachment plug cap not inserted and receptacle covers closed).
An installation suitable for wet locations shall also be considered suitable for damp locations.
A receptacle shall be considered to be in a location protected from the weather where located under roofed open porches, canopies, marquees, and the like, and will not be subjected to a beating rain or water runoff. All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking receptacles shall be a listed weather-resistant type.
FPN: The types of receptacles covered by this requirement are identified as 5-15, 5-20, 6-15, and 6-20 in ANSI/NEMA WD 6-2002, National Electrical Manufacturers Association Standard for Dimensions of Attachment Plugs and Receptacles.
(B) Wet Locations.
(1) 15- and 20-Ampere Receptacles in a Wet Location. 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt receptacles installed in a wet location shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted. All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking receptacles shall be listed weather-resistant type.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
This is for indoors, in my shop. I also have one that has WR printed on it and it too has the same "caution" sticker on it.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Why then, is there a little sticker on the $20 ( Eek) GFCI outlet that says, "CAUTION - Not to be used in wet and humid conditions"? Roll Eyes

Also, why is that I can buy 15A outlets for $.69 apiece and 20A outlets are $5 apiece? Mad What a frickin' ripoff!

And don't get me started on lumber. $5 for an 8' 2X4. Roll Eyes Mad

GFCIs are for when you might drop something plugged in to them in water, not when water might get in the outlet.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The $.69 15A outlet will make you mad enough to put in the $5 20A outlet. (Plugs don't fit well, slip out, get hot...)

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
20amp Commercial grade duplex receptacles are $2.99 at HD. It looks like the don't have residential grade 20 amp. at HD.

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody ever said that GFCI's are just for wet or humid environments . They detect current leakage to ground . Lots of ways for that to happen .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post