SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question - Learning Guitar "Later" in Life
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question - Learning Guitar "Later" in Life Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
As I near the cusp of the big 5-0, I ponder finally learning something that's long intrigued me - playing the guitar. Frankly, I'd like to learn the banjo, too, but I suspect the guitar would be the logical first step.

I actually own a "student" guitar that we bought for one of the kiddos a while back. The notion didn't stick with her but the guitar has stayed with us haha.

There are what I believe to be some good music instruction outlets in my area. I'm sure there are online options but I don't know enough to know if I should avoid that route or embrace it for something like this.

I'm not seeking to start a worldwide musical tour just yet - more to be able to "pick" and have fun.

Any tips or advice from the fretted-instrument folk of the Forum for a late-middle-ager wanting to join the band? Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
In the same boat as you. Would love some advice.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7069 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, truthfully, IMO, there aren't really many things that are truly superior or truly inferior. When very first learning to play it is all about putting in the time and practicing as much as possible. There really is something magical about simple repetition.
So get just about any beginning guitar book, or go to any instructor, and start PRACTICING a lot.

No, you won't waste time learning bad habits or anything like that. You might change techniques as you learn, but then you also understand why you want to change. Every guitarist plays and picks a little differently, and many great guitarists do it "wrong". So just have fun.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
If you're serious about learning to play guitar you have to realize it's gonna take some time and dedication before you see any real results. Find a local musician in your area who gives lessons and go every two or three weeks.

I highly recommend learning guitar. Not only is playing guitar incredibly fun but it is also an incredible outlet for stress. It's pretty fun collecting guitars too. I learned on a cheap acoustic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I think the biggest mistake made by new guitar players is to get a cheap guitar. Cheap guitars are very difficult to play. I'm not saying to spend thousands before you know if it is going to stick with you, but it is so much easier to learn to play with a better guitar.
Good luck,
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I was in your boat almost exactly five years ago and I went for it. I was 53 at the time and I've enjoyed almost every minute of it. In fact, my guitar playing pretty much consumes me these days.

I started with private lessons with a fellow who lives close to me and performs classically, though teaches all styles. I'd recommend private instruction to learn basics and develop good habits to start at least. I also have had quite a few group lessons which also involved performing. To play with others is a very rewarding experience.

As Crom says, it's all about practice and even a little every day will yield big results; don't be afraid of it. At first you'll feel like damn, I just can't make that chord shape.....or why can't I consistently pluck the right string, but in time you will. Little by little you'll get better and you'll forget how those little frustrations made you feel.

Beware, when you start, your fingers will hurt. It'll take time to develop calluses and you might wonder how long the pain will last. I'd give it 2-3 months overall. The longer you play, the more you'll develop the feel for how much pressure you really need to play certain chords/notes.

I say go for it, but make sure your guitar is properly set up with a good action and light strings to encourage you to play daily.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just do it. You are never too old to learn. Do not expect to be picking "Dualing Banjos" when you start out. There are numerous videos on the web to watch and learn. Mel Bay has guitar books for every level of play. Your local library may have some to borrow or a bookstore to buy.

Now for the other info.
Get a good set up on your guitar. String height is absolutely critical. It should not pain you to press down on your fret board and you should not have buzzing or rattling either.
Get a tuner. An out of tune guitar is worthless. You will be able to hear when it is out to tune and may think you are playing wrong.
Be prepared for sore and possibly cut fingers from the strings. You need to build up calluses which takes time. So practice...a lot.
You will get flustered at times when you try to play and can't quite get it. Slow down. Put the guitar down and come back to it. When you pick it back up. Go slow. Play slow so you fingers get used to where they need to be. It will come to you after more practice.
Have fun! Playing guitar is fun, it won't seem like it at times, but will be quite therapeutic as time goes on.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A teacher is the best way to learn. You'll learn the right way to play, and make progress faster.

But remember, you still have to practice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I always had a guitar around, but never really learned to play--they were inexpensive acoustics that were difficult to finger. I guess about 6 years ago I got my first quality guitar--an electric. Since then I have traded around and bought a couple more and now have 3 good ones: an acoustic and two electrics.

Even after I got a good guitar, I felt like I was merely a "strummer," not a guitar player. About a year-and-a-half ago, I started taking online lessons through Artistworks.com. They offer instruction in a variety of styles and feedback comes through video exchange with your instructor.

I'm working on Blues Guitar with Keith Wyatt who also plays lead with the classic SoCal group, The Blasters. I wish I was progressing faster, but I am progressing. I can find the key a song is in and play a lead (of sorts) with the music I am listening to.

If I could find face-to-face instruction, I would do it--and keep up the video lessons. Instructors always want to know "how many years of experience you have playing guitar." I decided my truthful answer was 1 year of experience, 6 times. Keith once said to me in a video exchange that I was experiencing the difference between "playing guitar and playing around with a guitar," when I expressed frustration at my progress. Keep playing, keep practicing, keep progressing. After all these years, I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. Maybe soon I can say, "I'm a guitar player." Good luck and have fun.

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I'll tell ya man. After you learn the basics there are few things more fun than noodling around on the gitfiddle. I love messing around on the guitar and eventually discovering that I just taught myself how to play that song that's been stuck in my head all day. It's a wonderful feeling.

Some days when I'm pissed I'll pick up my Fender Mustang or Jaguar and strum the hell out of it to a few of my favorite songs or I'll just make stuff up and afterwards I feel almost euphoric. The stress, anger whatever was bothering me has been melted away and I just feel good. Playing guitar is quite thereputic.

You are never too old to learn. I just started playing again after over a decade away from guitar. I'm so glad I started playing again. I wouldn't get too hung up on buying a expensive guitar to start. Learning how to play and building a solid foundation is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more important. Even cheap guitars these days can sound damn good!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Here is my suggestion.

Take the guitar down to the local store and make sure the strings are good. The wrong strings can make playing a pain (literally). Get a tuner or download a tuning app so that you are always in tune. Get a variety pack of picks so that you can determine which one is right for you.

Learn the basic chords in open E tuning (most common) The ones you want to learn are : G, C, F, D, E, E Minor, A

You can play thousands of songs with combinations of these basic chords. Get use to the fingerings, you can find online chord charts. Strum on a chord say 4x, remove your hand, replace it and strum 4x. Build the muscle memory so that you can fret the chords naturally. Now start switching, G 4x, C 4x, G 4x C 4x. Get used to switching between the cords. As you do this, depending on the combinations, you'll start to hear the basic framework of songs.

Once you can do this, go to YouTUBE. Find Marty Schwartz. He's boiled hundreds of songs into easy playable versions and walks you though them at a basic level. Find one that has the chords you know, and that you like, and learn to play it. Then just go song to song. As your skill increases, you can tackle more complicated songs.

LOOK! You're playing!!!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
open E tuning

? I think you mean standard tuning.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
open E tuning

? I think you mean standard tuning.

Yup... brain fart

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OldChimney
posted Hide Post
Is it easier for a beginner to use steel or nylon strings? Any pros or cons to starting out on one or the other?

Posts: 2364 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldChimney:
Is it easier for a beginner to use steel or nylon strings? Any pros or cons to starting out on one or the other?

I would personally start with light gauge steel strings. Nylon strings generally indicate a classical guitar which has a wider neck. This could be difficult for a beginner, but not a deal breaker. But, does the beginner want to continue down the road of classical guitar. That would be my question here.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
There is no substitute for practice and that takes time.

Play every day, 5min, 10min, 1hr, whatever, but play every single day.

After a while it'll start to come together, no matter how old you were when starting.

Before playing - wash/massage your hands under warm water for a few min to loosen up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 46and2,

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Teacher and rocksmith 2014 game. It is amazing.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
In person teaching is better than online as a rule, but the exception is if the instructor takes an approach that doesn't work for you. Learners have styles and teachers have styles. They need to mesh.

I don't know what kind of guitar you have but, as a general rule, an electric is going to be a bit more forgiving to your fingers. Acoustics, generally, are a bit harder to play at the same price point.

Set up of the guitar is key.

I have been playing since I was a kid and I can play passably well. But a few months ago (at the age of 60) I decided that I wanted to take it to the next level. I have learned as much in the last 5 months than I did in 20 years of trying to teach myself.

You can teach an old dog new tricks. Smile

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Invest more in a teacher than an instrument. You can always upgrade hardware, but the software has to be able to support the hardware for it to function to its full potential.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldChimney:

Think in terms of what you eventually want to sound like: Classical/Flamenco/softer sounding romantic music = nylon
They are easier to push down, but the neck is typically wider.

Folk/Rock/Bluegrass/Blues/Country = most of what we think of as pop music - steel strings

I have a little bit different take on this: Yes, light gage strings are easier to play, but you are going to be crappy and miserable anyway when you start. So you might as well be building some finger strength and callouses right away by learning and practicing on some medium-heavy strings. Then when you start to actually be able to play something that you enjoy, switch over to light gage and you will feel like a superman!
Finger strength is often under-appreciated because it is a very specific set of muscles used for fine finger control that you probably have never even thought about before.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post