SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anything wrong with having a facebook account?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anything wrong with having a facebook account? Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Older folks LOL

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Facebook is de debil.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Never bothered with it.

Had a brief brush with MySpace back in the day and I knew exactly where it was all going.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
OK its Official. I'm JP Sauer on that account too.. Cool Added my friends Joe and Tony. Can go to the Market Place now. Watch Church Service next week. Learn it slowly.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i've caught up with folks from college/military days + folks i worked with 30+ years ago & careful what i say.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Seems harmless to me. I do FB, and it mainly reminds me of the "Funny photos/memes thread hear, and I get to see what some friends and family are up to.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
If you own a business you should have a Facebook account to make a Page and/or Group. They'll keep bothering you to boost your posts and buy ads but I ignore those. It gives another way for potential customers to contact you.

Everyone should register a Facebook, Instagram, twitter, Snapchat and linked in account if for no other reason than to keep someone else from registering your name. Even if you don't use it at least stake a claim.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Everybody sells your information these days.
Even car dealers.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was told there is nothing bad about having a account there.

Then you got really bad, incomplete information.

You need to understand that Facebook tracking is not just limited to just what you post on FB.

Facebook tracks you, personally, across the Internet, and sells whatever data they can glean from that. That is aggregated with your activity on Facebook-owned domains, and the fact that you created an account gives them a lot of personal details to attach to the data they gather from your web activities.

People may not personally understand how that is possible, but it is, and they do.

Now, for some people - the 'what me worry' brigade who don't read privacy policies, folks who feel that ship has already sailed, and those who do know about the data issues, but feel the benefits of having the FB account are worth sharing their lives and details with the data vampire and, through them, their commercial and governmental customers - that's fine.

Not to say they don't have some potentially useful capabilities. A big user base (and everything that goes with it) has a bandwagon effect and they have some features that help folks keep in contact and easily create low-end business presences. But for someone to tell you there is 'nothing bad', that is a gross misstatement.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Facebook can be a terrible thing IF you let it . Keep your personal info PERSONAL . Don't even post your birthdate . Some people post every aspect of their lives there . Use the security settings to your advantage and it'll be ok .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
.....snip......

All is very true. But if you have any type of gmail account of anything, this intrusion is already happening. To be “off the grid” to keep from having you information tracked and shared, you pretty much have to be a internet information virgin with no real foot print.

Google is by far the worst offender.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
.....snip......

All is very true. But if you have any type of gmail account of anything, this intrusion is already happening. To be “off the grid” to keep from having you information tracked and shared, you pretty much have to be a internet information virgin with no real foot print.

Google is by far the worst offender.

Say hello to Miguel Sanchez!

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use it for the Marketplace exclusively. Very rarely post anything and if I do it's usually a link to a news article or something.

I have found some incredible deals on car parts and tools - but you really have to be johnny on the spot. Most great deals will be gone within hours. Most good deals will be gone within a day.

I also give away a lot of junk on there too, but people always take it. Makes dump runs a lot easier.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I was told there is nothing bad about having a account there.

Then you got really bad, incomplete information.

You need to understand that Facebook tracking is not just limited to just what you post on FB.

Facebook tracks you, personally, across the Internet, and sells whatever data they can glean from that. That is aggregated with your activity on Facebook-owned domains, and the fact that you created an account gives them a lot of personal details to attach to the data they gather from your web activities.

People may not personally understand how that is possible, but it is, and they do.

Not only do the 'track' you across the internet, if you have the Facebook app on any device, they track your location anywhere and everywhere you go, across the planet!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Not interested in putting my personal life on line....

You don't need to. With cookies and algorithms it makes the connections anyway.
Years ago I had an account with a made up name, all made up info. I used it to keep in contact with a couple acquaintances. Facebook would give me the "People you may know" thing (do you want to make them your friend?). And quite often they were people I DID know. People I had NO online interaction with at all, I didn't have their contact info, so it didn't get it off my computer. I dunno... no thanks.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
It's all linked and all-intrusive. My wife will look at sinks or countertops for a kitchen remodel and as soon as I go on Facebook, guess what ads pop up constantly?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Facebook, sure why not. Just DO NOT post your telephone number.
Don’t post any PII

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We have four kids, two career military, and nine grandkids scattered to the four winds. If we are really lucky we get them all together for a family reunion once every two years. Facebook and Facetime is how we keep track of what they are all doing and see photos of the important happenings and milestones in their lives. A good way to share photos and a great source of memes!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure to go through EVERY aspect of the security options and all else related. Turn off or turn on (read the sections closely) to restrict access on many things

Do NOT fall for all the quizzes and game stuff. That’s just easy fodder of information for other companies. How quickly people forget about Cambridge Analytica

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you need 1900 mid east friends ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post