SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anything wrong with having a facebook account?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anything wrong with having a facebook account? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
I was told there is nothing bad about having a account there. Not interested in putting my personal life on line but their Market Place seems pretty useful. I set up a account for a friend, posted 2 ladies bikes for sale and they sold fast. I know there are Members here who do and dont have a facebook account. Anything you like about it if you do? The Churches here have been closed due to youknowwhat. I can drive down, listen to the Pastor on FM or watch the Service on facebook. Missed it this morning as I dont yet have a account. Plus I went back to sleep.. Confused

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing against it, but it can get overwhelming. I quit it for a couple years, then went back. I then realized again why I gave up, no need.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Have had one for probably more than 10 years. No downside that I can think of.

I took the time to make sure I see only what I want and not much fluff...I just see news, gun videos, and stuff blowing up. I’m on there a lot and it’s especially great now because it helps reduce the boredom.

Most people that don’t like it, either don’t understand it, or they don’t take the time to set it up for the things they like...I.e. guns, hunting, news, etc..

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
RAMIUS, is Messenger bothersome? I get several notifications on my phone so I limited those.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Nothing really wrong with having an account, especially if you're using it the way you describe.

Do you have to drive to the flea market to listen via FM radio? Do you have Wi-Fi or unlimited 4G data?

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
just remember you can never delete it, it sits on there server for ever if you ever open it back up all your stuff is still there.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
Nothing really wrong with having an account, especially if you're using it the way you describe.

Do you have to drive to the flea market to listen via FM radio? Do you have Wi-Fi or unlimited 4G data?
I would have to park behind the Church for FM reception. Yes unlimited 4G.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
just remember you can never delete it, it sits on there server for ever if you ever open it back up all your stuff is still there.
OK thanks XLT.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^. And they sell your information. If the product is free, what’s being sold is you and your information. That’s why I never had one.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have one. Don't use it too much these days. I do use it to post pictures of some of my travels for my family how always want to see pictures of trips I take.

FWIW you can lock down what people can see. Set it up so only people who you have added as friends can see your stuff.

Understand how to use it and how it works and your be OK.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
^^^. And they sell your information. If the product is free, what’s being sold is you and your information. That’s why I never had one.

Yes but everyone sells your info today. Have a shopping card at any grocery store so you get their discounts. They sell all your info and shopping habits.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Yes but everyone sells your info today. Have a shopping card at any grocery store so you get their discounts. They sell all your info and shopping habits.

I don’t have a shopping card. Publix doesn’t use them.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Just keep very close friends with similar views as friends on Facebook. Don’t post political stuff. Then it’s fine. I have lots of “friends “ on it that I’m not close with. They are tagged as acquaintances and I unfollow them. So they think we are friends and don’t know what I post (posts are set to friends not acquaintances).

If you do that you will avoid bitch sessions and can take advantage of local sites that give you info and also many local yard sale sites (plus marketplace as you mentioned )

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
RAMIUS, is Messenger bothersome? I get several notifications on my phone so I limited those.

Not at all. I have it set so it doesn’t notify me. I probably use it like once or twice a day.

Did video conferencing with 5 people last night with it, that was cool.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Seems all the kids use Tik-Tok, the narcissists use Instagram & all the adults are on Facebook. Sure, why not..

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:

I would have to park behind the Church for FM reception. Yes unlimited 4G.

Sounds like you should be able to watch via Facebook and use the radio as a backup.

If you aren't able to fellowship with your church or bible study remotely, my email is in my profile.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Facebook, sure why not. Just DO NOT post your telephone number.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Seems all the kids use Tik-Tok, the narcissists use Instagram & all the adults are on Facebook. Sure, why not..

The kids do say Facebook is for old people these days. Big Grin

I probably spend the majority of mine time there, other than here.

I enjoy it because I can watch all the gun videos, red neck explosion videos, Outdoor Survival videos, Donald Trump videos, (and then read the comments that are a Wild West of trash and good and entertaining information) my little heart desires.

You can make your profile private and unsearchable, even to search engines. Hell, you don’t even need to use your full or real name.

It’s fun keeping in touch with Friends and interacting or not interacting with all kinds of normal/crazy/smart/interesting/retarded/idiotic/funny people. It’s like here, but different I guess Razz

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
As long as you keep control of it, there’s nothing wrong with it. Post minimum info public.

Be prepared for the mother of all repeat posts-fest. It almost seems that people over post a lot of the same things over and over again. For a while, you couldn’t swing a dead cat without hitting 50 friends reposting the same “Jack Wilson” article with “Have you seen this?”. No, I ah e been in a cave for the last two weeks. I recently silenced a bunch of people because my feed was littered with COVID death count gloom and doom articles.

I think as long as you keep control of it, there is no downside to FB.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
OK, glad I asked now. You folks posts build me a little confidence. I will join up. And I am glad there are older folks participating. Thanks again for your advice.