SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First time flying...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time flying... Login/Join 
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted
I am not a pilot, I think this guy can make the same claim.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Wow.

Just. . .

wow.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Lucky to be alive!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Glad he is alive, but it's because of luck not skill.

I'm not a pilot, but I'm 100% confident that plane had a throttle setting in between idle and full throttle. He drove (can't bring myself to use the word flew) that plane like a NYC taxi driver in stop n go traffic.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
That guy was totally clueless. I'll bet it is the last flight as well as the first. Anybody that would try again after that fiasco needs to be on suicide watch. Eek

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
That was just plane dangerous.

Stolen from the youtube comments.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure I've logged enough hours on all versions of MS FlightSim to have done a better job than that.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Drunk flying???

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fake? Meaning, the guy knew what he was doing and planned the entire thing. Like Joe Bob the Drunk Pilot (or whatever the stunt pilot's name is who does similar things with a Cub/Super Cub).

I think with the correct plane (light frame, big wing, big motor), I could maybe do that with a little practice and a lot of soft grass...

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
Fake? Meaning, the guy knew what he was doing and planned the entire thing. Like Joe Bob the Drunk Pilot (or whatever the stunt pilot's name is who does similar things with a Cub/Super Cub).

I think with the correct plane (light frame, big wing, big motor), I could maybe do that with a little practice and a lot of soft grass...
I was there with you until the plane ended up on its wing touching during landing.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

I meant to do that....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Good god.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
That was just plane dangerous.

Stolen from the youtube comments.

*Cackle*

Posts: 5133 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what model ultralight that is, but they should make this their sales video! That thing was so forgiving of low speed maneuvers it looked almost stall-proof. That plane saved that idiots life.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
OTOH, maybe that was a test pilot series testing the stall warner.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
In any event, that was very difficult to watch.

Posts: 7310 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've never seen one that bad. I've seen some pretty bad ultralight "pilots" (they insist on being called pilots). I was one that pushed hard to have them banned from our private airfield.

Of course...when you can't get a medical, and no instructor will teach you....ultralight looks attractive. Lot of people with money fly ultralights. I lost.

LSA isn't far removed from the same crowd... at least they used to be pilots.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I hope that plane is damaged enough so as to make the guy sit back and ponder the worth of his life before he tries to take it back up again.

I've played a bunch of flight sims, and I'm convinced I could do a better job than that. That seemed to be the definition of 'ham-fisted' flying. No subtlety. As tatortodd stated, most throttles have progressive settings between idle and full throttle; he didn't seem to grasp that nuance. It was all or nothing with him.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
he's either really good or really bad

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
I hope that plane is damaged enough so as to make the guy sit back and ponder the worth of his life before he tries to take it back up again....

He can always get a dirt bike and find a highway to jump.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post