SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nikola Motors Electric Truck
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikola Motors Electric Truck Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

How do you travel, you have to map out where there are charging stations, and then add the charging time to your drive. Imagine your last long drive, now imagine one of those shit one gas station towns you stop at to piss and fill up, and sitting there picking your nose while the car charges?

I just went to downtown Detroit today. I can just imaging having to sit at a charging station in some of the areas I passed through.

Lol... Yeah a nice long wait outside Masonic Temple Theater or in one of the zombie apocalypse city blocks.. Nope.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Does that vehicle exist in anything other than CGI? I Google searched it and all the pictures I can find of it are the computer-generated images that are in that link. Not even a proto-type.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
You may have heard that car dealers don’t like EVs. That’s because there’s rarely anything that needs fixing.
Oh, there will be plenty of things to break on them. You're partly correct in that there will be fewer mechanical things to break, but electronics can still fry. Who's going to troubleshoot them? Look how hard it is to find a good mechanic technician now. As somebody who started in the days of points and carburetors, it is leaving me behind. Fortunately I am approaching retirement.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
I did some quick math to see what it would take to generate enough electricity to run all passenger cars/trucks/SUVs replacing gasoline 100%, again quick math and google searches for sources, please check my numbers.

Present approximate USA annual electricity generating capacity per year = 1.2 million MW

In 2018 USA 3.22 trillion miles driven passenger vehicles USA

Best Guess average MPG = 18 MPG

3.22 trillion / 18 = about 179,000,000 gallons of gasoline per year USA passenger cars/trucks.

gasoline 33.411 Kw/gallon gasoline

179,000,000 gallons per year consumed x .03341 MW per gallon = 5,980,390 MW or 5.98 Million MW of electricity need to replace all gasoline passenger cars.

So with the current annual USA electricity generating capacity of 1.2 Million MW we would need to increase our electrical power generating capacity times 5 to replace all of the gasoline used by passenger cars and trucks. We would need to completely rebuild the power distribution and power generation capacity of the USA on a mammoth scale probably based on nuclear power. Not going to happen.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish someone would make a hybrid truck or van platform that works.

No half baked PC bureaucratized design by committee duds like a $40K hybrid that can't fully charge its own batteries and needs to be plugged in, or a PH truck that can't run a real power tool or coffee maker.

In my mind I think of a hybrid with the following required features:

• 200 mile or better no load electric only range, 500 mile range max load fueled hybrid mode.

• Multi fuel micro turbine motor-generator capable of powering the drive-train at 80% or more load even when the redundant replaceable electric storage modules are discharged.

• 18KW 120/240 AC output with 30A 120 and 50A 240 outlets. I'd accept a required grounding kit to make this feature fully functional.

• A standard port for solar, wind, or other charging sources if desired. (off grid camping, storage)

• 16,000lb tow capacity, integrated trailer brake.

• Drop down or tilt down 8' bed.

• 4WD.

• Water resistant hose washable seats and interior from the armrests to the rocker panels

Of course I'd also like HUD with thermal, NV, and heated massaging seats, but give me the above and I'd be pretty happy.

Page late and a dollar short
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by shovelhead:
    quote:

How do you travel, you have to map out where there are charging stations, and then add the charging time to your drive. Imagine your last long drive, now imagine one of those shit one gas station towns you stop at to piss and fill up, and sitting there picking your nose while the car charges?

I just went to downtown Detroit today. I can just imaging having to sit at a charging station in some of the areas I passed through.

Lol... Yeah a nice long wait outside Masonic Temple Theater or in one of the zombie apocalypse city blocks.. Nope.

I was thinking more along Eight Mile into the Northwest side.

-------------------------------------——————
    ————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post