SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grass And A Wet, Wet, Wet Summer/Fall
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grass And A Wet, Wet, Wet Summer/Fall Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Ugh.

How is everyone's grass?

Around here it's lush green on top, but as soon as you cut it, it's all brown and sickly looking close to the ground.

I don't think it liked all this incessant rain we've gotten in the past couple months, the ground is still SO soft and saturated, it's never been able to catch up.

Can grass drown?

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, this is me this morning:

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
What kind of grass? Are you cutting too much off?

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Yes, grass can drown. Depends on the variety of course, but the roots can rot if the conditions are right.

Up here, we would get a couple days of rain, the bright sun and the grass would grow fast. It was either clog the mower with wet grass, or clog it with tall grass... damn frustrating!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
What kind of grass? Are you cutting too much off?

Or the grass is being allowed to grow too much and/or isn't being cut often enough. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
My grass is still green, growing, and needing to be cut regularly. But for the first time in my memory, I had to cease using my zero turn mower and return to using a self propelled push mower because the ground had gotten so saturated, the large mower was rutting it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Ugh.

How is everyone's grass?

Around here it's lush green on top, but as soon as you cut it, it's all brown and sickly looking close to the ground.

I don't think it liked all this incessant rain we've gotten in the past couple months, the ground is still SO soft and saturated, it's never been able to catch up.

Can grass drown?

I cut it today, just as you described. Lots of mushrooms also. It hasn't dried up for most of the last 2 months. I thought I would be doing leaves by now.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I literally just came in from mowing the front and sides. With the amount of rain we’ve gotten the last month, I’m shocked I got as far as I did. Had to stop before going to the backyard as it’s a swamp. Doesn’t look it, but you take a few steps and you just sink...

Posts: 715 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been so wet in the last month we have fungus and mushrooms. Grass can drown and turn yellow if to much water. Oak trees will do the same.

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Some friends of ours just got a FOURTH cutting of hay...Usually it's good to get 2, and very rare to get 3 - I've never heard of getting a 4th cutting around here.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
My yard here in south central Va, is as you described, green on top, brown on bottom coupled with grubworms showing up. Our tree leaves are brown, probably due to the heat wave we had in...Sept.

Meanwhile, in Fairbanks, AK, it's 29°.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife's big annual craft show at Letchworth State Park was a mudfest. They usually park cars in the huge lawns that align the parks main road.

They starting trying to park cars as usual on Saturday, what a clusterfug! They gave up and decided to park all cars along the roadside. People were having to walk up to 2 miles, just to get to the show.

Once there, after half a day of foot traffic, all the isles were a mud mash. I was told that , by the end of the weekend, they had spread over 600 bales of hay to make it more passable.

Venders had hell to pay, trying to get their rigs in place through the mudbog. Tractors had to be brought in to get them out Monday.

I have never seen anything like it.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Yeah, same thing happened with our yard.

Yard looked great at the beginning of summer, and when the rain hit, the yard was slowly taken over by some other species of grass or similar plant coming from our neighbor's yard, I think. Now what's left is brown on the bottom. We've got moss growing in lieu of grass on the side of the house with tress, too. Even got mushrooms growing out of the decking.

Yeesh.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I've been hit by grubs. Mad

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I've been hit by grubs. Mad
My Dad lives in the Upper Midwest. He has to put on Grub-X every spring to keep the moles away.

However, this year is the first time in nearly 50 years of homeownership that he has had to put on Grub-X in the fall as well (i.e. twice in 2018). Skunks were scraping away the grass and digging a nose diameter hole to eat grubs.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Yeah, same thing happened with our yard.

Yard looked great at the beginning of summer, and when the rain hit, the yard was slowly taken over by some other species of grass or similar plant coming from our neighbor's yard, I think. Now what's left is brown on the bottom. We've got moss growing in lieu of grass on the side of the house with tress, too. Even got mushrooms growing out of the decking.

Yeesh.
Have you checked for dollar spot?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Just a couple days ago as cutting I noticed when I came back around, some sections mostly the best growing and thickest were partially brown. I assumed it was because I was cutting around 1/2 off even with the deck set at 4 1/4". That may be part of it but I don't recall that in the past even when I let it grow too high before cutting?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post