SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    California will launch 'its own damn satellite' as a swipe at Trump, 'Governor Moonbeam' says
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California will launch 'its own damn satellite' as a swipe at Trump, 'Governor Moonbeam' says Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Fox News

California Gov. Jerry Brown on Friday said his state will launch its own satellite in a bid to combat climate change, following up on a promise he made after the election of President Trump.

“We’re going to launch our own satellite — our own damn satellite to figure out where the pollution is and how we’re going to end it,” Brown told the audience at the Global Climate Action Summit in San Francisco.

The Golden State will work with San Francisco-based Planet Labs to launch a satellite that would track climate-change-causing pollutants. The company has already launched 150 satellites, Brown said.

“In California, with science under attack, in fact we’re under attack by a lot of people, including Donald Trump, but the climate threat still keeps growing,” Brown added. “So, we want to know, what the hell is going on all over the world, all the time?”

The outgoing governor, who will leave at the end of the year and will be replaced by Democrat Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom or Republican businessman John Cox, didn’t divulge any how much it will cost the state to undergo a space-related project that is generally done by the federal government.

Marc Lotter, former special assistant to President Trump, discusses how The Washington Post said that President Trump is "complicit" for Hurricane Florence because of his views on climate change.
Brown’s office told the Washington Post that government scientists and staff will work on the project, but no money from the state’s coffers will be spent toward the development of the satellite. A number of donors have stepped up to fund the experiment, including San Francisco investment banker Richard Lawrence and the Jeremy and Hannelore Grantham Environmental Trust.

The intentionally worded announcement came nearly two years after the governor threatened the Trump administration that California will launch its own satellite.

“If Trump turns off the satellites, California will launch its own damn satellite,” Brown said back in 2016, before lamenting the “Governor Moonbeam” nickname the media gave him for previously considering similar plans.

“I remember back in 1978 I proposed a Landsat satellite for California. They called me ‘Governor Moonbeam’ because of that,” Brown said.

Over the last two years, Brown clashed with the Trump administration on multiple fronts, including immigration and environmental rules. Trump’s decision to pull out the Paris climate agreement in June 2017 particularly infuriated the California governor.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
That boys' cheese has done slid off his cracker... Bad thing is Newsome will probably be worse!

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Where is he going to launch it from ? Will it be able to measure the size of the crap on the sidewalks too? Where is mission control for Stoner 1 going to be?

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully it will have the resolution to be able to spot syringes and needles on the streets of San Fran so HAZMAT teams can clear them.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2887 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is just another example of the dems becoming un-hinged with our president....This is hilarious just watching and listening to these ignorant fools. As broke as Commifornie is, I wonder who will pay for this climate change satellite and monitor it findings? What is funnier, I wonder what they will report when they find out that climate change has been happening since the earths beginning, and man has very little if nothing to do with climate change?? Just another good laugh at these idiots......

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I have but one response to that insanity....

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
“We’re going to launch our own satellite — our own damn satellite to figure out where the pollution is and how we’re going to end it,” Brown told the audience at the Global Climate Action Summit in San Francisco.

And you will find it in China and developing India in spades, ten - twenty times worse than any US city. And you cant do a motherfucking thing to stop them. Moron.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet if old moonbeam would whisper in Feinstein's ear the right way,her Chinese driver could get Red China to launch it for him.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
I bet if old moonbeam would whisper in Feinstein's ear the right way,her Chinese driver could get Red China to launch it for him.

I wouldn't rule this as is out of the realm of possibility. China would jump at the chance to "volunteer" a launch for a nice geosynch over the CONUS, courtesy of California. Probably volunteer to "upgrade" the sensor suite in the process.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
First they'll need to commission a 10 year study of the environmental impact of launching a satellite. After the study completes - they'll need to proclaim eminent domain and take away folks land to build the launch site. Then, a new study will be commissioned which determines that the launch site cannot be used at this time. More money will be spent to purchase a new parcel of land - and the cycle continues.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3921 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Maybe they can lauch it off of one of the high speed rail cars they are building.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Well...Vandenberg AFB is on the California coast, but it's run by USAF.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
To keep track of the granola harvests, no doubt.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
They will find a LOT of polutants from the rocket needed to launch the satellite. . .

I love how they purposefully twist the language in order to dishonestly slander us normal people. Many of us don't believe the hippy hype about so-called man-made climate change, so they say "SCIENCE IS UNDER ATTACK!!!!!!!"

In other words, not believing their moonbat propoganda = an attack on science.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fortunately for them they are one of the few states that can afford to take on such an undertaking. (Sarcasm off)

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
That boys' cheese has done slid off his cracker... Bad thing is Newsome will probably be worse!

Brown is certifiable. A total lunatic.

I remember a time when certain 2A activists in CA supported Brown for governor because they thought he was pro-gun Eek He is nothing but a big government commie.

And yes, Newsom will be worse. The state will go even further to the left. Stories like above will be even more common place.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
... mission control for Stoner 1 ...

Nice. Wink

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Only have to look as far away as China.

HOW can millions of people have voted for that asshole? Liberalism truly is a mental illness.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Given his train ain't made it to the station...

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So he plans on adding to the pollution of debris and satellites circling earth right now just to flip the bird to Trump?

Takes a special kind of brain damage to justify a plan like that.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post