SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tacoma 4 Cylinder 4WD
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tacoma 4 Cylinder 4WD Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have a 2010 Prerunner with the 4cyl, 5 speed manual. As others have said, there might be some impatient people behind you as you get up to highway speed, and you will be using 4th gear (1:1) for moderate, but lengthy, uphills on the highway.

It has an excellent payload capacity, not such a great towing capacity (true of most of the Tacoma models). Great mileage (22 combined). Again, as others have said, for a 4wd, the mileage difference between the 4cyl and 6cyl narrows considerably, so it is probably wise go to go 6cyl for 4wd.

Being as I wanted a 4cyl manual, and 2wd, I chose the Prerunner because one of its extras is a 4:11 rear (vs 3:73), which makes up for some of the lower power of the 4cyl engine. I had a 2" receiver hitch put on it, though it cannot tow what a 2" is rated for, but every mount and accessory I have for a receiver is 2". I just need to remain aware of the towing limits. I tow a single axle trailer just fine, mostly for carrying brush and yard waste to the transfer station, and for a 650 ATV.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post