SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tacoma 4 Cylinder 4WD
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tacoma 4 Cylinder 4WD Login/Join 
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted
I'm looking at getting a Tacoma. I'm wanting the bottom level 4 cylinder 4WD model because it is significantly cheaper. Does anyone have experience with the 4 banger (i.e reliability)?

Thanks

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not sure how much the engine has been updated, but my brother-in-law recently traded his 2WD manual trans 1998 Tacoma for a 2016. The '98 had nearly 300k on it. Truck was in rough shape, but the ending & trans were still solid.
No leaks, aside from what I think was an exhaust leak at the exh manifold.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I'd say the Taco 4 banger is under powered for a newer heavier 4WD. I have a 2006 4 banger AT 2WD and it is NO hot rod. Unloaded it has to shift down to maintain speed on a highway upgrade say of 6%

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't know what four-cylinder they're using these days, but I've seen older ones go 200K or more with proper maintenance. The ones that didn't were run low on or never changed the oil, or overheated severely. Curiously (I assume we're discussing a new one here), the transmission choices with the four are a 5-speed stick or a 6-speed automatic.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
It will outlive you. Rust being the primary concern.

YouTube videos about ISIS, etc... They all use Toyota's. Not a good endorsement, but they will run forever.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I don't have one. If hills are around you will be down shifting as mentioned. I think it would be adequate as long as you do not haul heavy loads. You will not be passing people so if that is your thing. Don't get it as tailgating is dangerous at many levels.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
I'd say the Taco 4 banger is under powered for a newer heavier 4WD. I have a 2006 4 banger AT 2WD and it is NO hot rod. Unloaded it has to shift down to maintain speed on a highway upgrade say of 6%

At 6%? I'd say most any truck will need to downshift at that gradient to maintain 70+ mph.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
I have an 06 with 257k+ miles and drive it everyday. Good to go.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an '09 with 45k on it. It's no speed demon, but is VERY reliable. The 4WD is nice in snow and wet conditions IF your remember that 4 wheel go is not 4 wheel stop. I love mine, was recently offered 15k for it and turned them down flat.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
As others have mentioned, you won't be lighting up the tires. However, if reliability is your main concern, the Toyota 4 cylinder is famous for it.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
2000 Tacoma, 4 cylinder, 4WD, standard tranny, very low mileage for its age (70,000), I can't see the day I won't have it. The rubber shifter seat under the stick had to be replaced, the seat belt could spool up a little better. That's it.

Very good torque, super smooth idling, just shy of the displacement our previous 6 cylinder Nissan Pathfinder's. Of many vehicles over several decades, my favorite.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently own an '01 Tacoma 4 cylinder with 160k on it. Routine maintenance only. A guy in the area has one identical to mine with close to 500k on it. It's his daily driver. I plan to give mine to one of my granddaughters in a few years.

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
My '01 Tacoma with the 2.7L 4cyl fires right up no matter how cold and purrs like a kitten. No issues at all.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I own a 2013 4WD Tacoma with a 2.7 liter 4 cylinder and 4 speed automatic. It easily cruises at 80 mph on the freeway. I don't expect to win any drag races, but it is very peppy.

On a 4WD Taco, the four banger gets no better mileage than the V6. At least that's the way it was in 2013. If I had it to do over again, I would probably spring for the bigger engine. Be that as it may, I love this little truck and will probably keep it forever.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I loved mine. A little tough trying to pass on the interstate. Biggest complaint is that mine got horrible gas mileage for a 4cyl.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
I drove a '95 Tacoma 15 yrs 379k with only basic PM and little to no repairs, then sold it for $1,700. That said, 80-90% of your potential repair costs are probably common to all models. Definitely test drive 4cy and v6 back to back. The only reason to buy the 4cyl is to save a few k on the front end. operating costs are going to be close.

Posts: 502 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I know it is more, but check out the V6 before you buy. That engine is great in my 2005. Very low maintenance and has easily pulled a pretty good sized trailer across country..

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is a bad Tacoma. I am a Tundra owner, but the tacos really have me interested. I need the larger truck for cab space and bed space. If not, I would have a 4wd Tacome. I drove a 4 cyl automatic and while it was no burner, I didn't feel underpowered for a daily driver.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
If you don't have hills around you, the 2wd is fine. I can't imagine the added mass of the 4wd will make it better.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
The new Atkinson V-6 is a better engine that the currently available 4-cylinder. And gets better mpg.

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post