SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    British Schoolboys Don Skirts Amid Shorts Ban in Heatwave
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

British Schoolboys Don Skirts Amid Shorts Ban in Heatwave Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
Gotta give these boys props for being able to adapt Razz

quote:

British Schoolboys Don Skirts Amid Shorts Ban in Heatwave

LONDON (AP) — Boys at a British high school have found a novel way around strict uniform rules banning shorts, as the country swelters through a heatwave.

The schoolboys at Isca Academy in the southwestern city of Exeter donned skirts instead of the officially mandated gray slacks.

Photos in British media show the boys wearing short-sleeved white shirts, school ties and the gray and white plaid skirts that the girls wear.

Devon County Council spokesman David Beasley said about 30 boys turned up to school in skirts on Thursday, when temperatures dropped to a cool 20 degrees Celsius (68F) after days of much hotter weather. None of the skirted students was punished, he said.

The school’s head teacher, Aimee Mitchell, issued a written statement that did not mention the skirts, but pledged to revisit the uniform rules.

“We recognize that the last few days have been exceptionally hot and we are doing our utmost to enable both students and staff to remain as comfortable as possible,” she wrote.

“Shorts are not currently part of our uniform for boys and I would not want to make any changes without consulting both students and their families. However, with hotter weather becoming more normal, I would be happy to consider a change for the future,” she added.

The British students were not alone in challenging dress codes as a way of cooling down.

In the western French city of Nantes, male bus drivers reportedly wore skirts this week that are part of female drivers’ uniform to protest the fact that they were not allowed to wear shorts.

http://www.breitbart.com/londo...shorts-ban-heatwave/

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Hasn't anyone heard of kilts?

Another indicia of global warming!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
In a country that includes Scotland, this shouldn't raise too many eyebrows. Heck, they are even plaid! Call them 'warm weather kilts' and be done with it. Smile

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You'd have to threaten me with a beating and be prepared to do it to get me into a skirt. Good grief

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107569 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
It's a Kilt if you ain't wearing drawers...it's a "skirt" if you are Big Grin...I'm not wearing no "skirt" (don't let your imaginations run wild Big Grin)

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Two eye-rolls in this news article:

1) There is kid, right there, plain as day, in shorts. Roll Eyes

2)
quote:
However, with hotter weather becoming more normal,
Roll Eyes

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

2)
quote:
However, with hotter weather becoming more normal,
Roll Eyes

Yeah, because it's never been hot in the summer before, right? I mean come on.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The school’s head teacher, Aimee Mitchell, issued a written statement that did not mention the skirts, but pledged to revisit the uniform rules.

“We recognize that the last few days have been exceptionally hot and we are doing our utmost to enable both students and staff to remain as comfortable as possible,” she wrote.

“Shorts are not currently part of our uniform for boys and I would not want to make any changes without consulting both students and their families. However, with hotter weather becoming more normal, I would be happy to consider a change for the future,” she added.

It sounds like it was a clever way to get the school’s head teacher's attention.
They may be successful in getting shorts approved for hot days and I doubt they would have been paid much attention if they had merely complained.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24107 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for them. At least on smart kid figured out the loophole and got the rest to go along.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, smart kids. Oh yeah, they sure fooled everyone.

God help us

posted Hide Post
It's been a scorcher lately with temperatures in the low 80s.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
And at the other end of the spectrum, my former UPS driver got written up for wearing his official brown shorts after November 30th.

quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:

The continent HAS been hot. My wife's in Italy. It's been in the mid 90's for several days and today it broke 100°F outside Bologna.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Someone should just tell all these little girls that they don't have to make lame excuses if they want wear a skirt. Sometimes, you just need to feel pretty, right? Perfectly normal behavior, since it further erodes the distinction between the sexes- that's the two, count 'em, two and only two sexes.

Nothing wrong with that, gentlemen. It's only a sign of the collapse of civilization, that's all.

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
In Arizona these marys would be in bikinis I'm sure.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
And at the other end of the spectrum, my former UPS driver got written up for wearing his official brown shorts after November 30th.

quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:

The continent HAS been hot. My wife's in Italy. It's been in the mid 90's for several days and today it broke 100°F outside Bologna.

Well, that's a fact. I'm traveling to Spain next week for a wedding and am actually not looking forward to it. It's going to be awfully hot. I certainly won't be wearing a skirt to the wedding, however.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Someone should just tell all these little girls that they don't have to make lame excuses if they want wear a skirt. Sometimes, you just need to feel pretty, right? Perfectly normal behavior, since it further erodes the distinction between the sexes- that's the two, count 'em, two and only two sexes.

Nothing wrong with that, gentlemen. It's only a sign of the collapse of civilization, that's all.

wait - so you're saying the "science is settled?"

good enough for me. Getting beyond "him" or "her" makes me want to simultaneously laugh out loud at the ridiculousness and puke.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I need to change my self-identity on my summer court dates so I can show up wearing flip flops, linen pants, and a button up shirt with no jacket or tie. Like the wimmins.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Will there be Haggis????

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
They're not wearing kilts. These ladies are wearing women's garments. This is commonly referred to as cross-dressing.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023