SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woodworking --- When you tell me it can’t be done…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodworking --- When you tell me it can’t be done… Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
…it just prompts me to try even harder to prove them wrong.

The Back Story
We have a hollow core pocket door (i.e. cheap) off one side of our kitchen that the internal header in the door had failed. The header was a piece of one inch pine that was glued (only) to the inside of the door skin on both sides, and the glue had failed on one end of the header allowing the door to sag badly on the leading edge. After removing the trim and doing a bit of surgery on the upper frame of the door, I finally managed to remove the door. After identifying the problem, I talked with a couple experienced carpenters I know, and both suggested they would simply replace the door. Since I didn’t want to have to try and match the stain for a new door, I asked about fully separating the existing header from the door and replacing it instead. Both individuals told me I’d likely spend a lot of time, and in the end, simply inflict additional damage on the door. Well, I opted to ignore them and try it anyway.

Disassembly
I laid out the door on saw horses and with a pair of wide putty knives and a couple chisels, slowly tried to separate the rest of the old header from the door skins. It was slow, and I cringed every time the door skins sounded as though they were going to break, but in the end, I managed to get the old header out.

Repair
I went to my cut off bin and found a couple pieces of one inch thick maple. I liked the idea of using maple as its more dense and tougher than pine. I cut the pieces down to size to fit, and glued them together giving me a new 1”x2” header.

Then I applied a liberal amount of wood glue onto both sides of the new header, inserted it into the door, flushed it with the top of the door, and applied a bunch of screw clamps. The door sat in the clamps overnight just to insure it was completely cured. Recognizing how the other door failed when the glue let go, I opted to drill a 3/8” hole through the leading and following edge framing of the door and into the newly installed top header. Then I glued in a pair of 3/8” dowels, let them set up, then used a flush cut saw to flush them up, and finished them off with a little stain.

Re-Installation
The hardware got re-installed on top of the door, and the door went back up. After a few final adjustments, the door works better than ever.

All in all this repair cost me pennies and allowed me to re-use the original door saving me the cost of a new door as well as the time and effort to stain and finish a new door. And best of all, I got props from both of my carpenter friends when they saw the final product.

The lesson in this adventure...sometimes perseverance and refusal to accept something can't be done trumps experience. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it."
-Robert Heinlein

(and sigmonkey has proved it to be a truism, again and again...)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
Great job. Only a homeowner would take the time and effort to do a job like this. To the pro’s time is money and it is faster for them to just slap in a new door.

phil

Posts: 2384 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
I only see one problem. You didn't use enough clamps.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Nicely done!

To a production carpenter, time is money. They'll come up with any excuse NOT to do a job like that and it would indeed be cheaper to replace the door than pay $xx an hour to a pro to do it.

For homeowners, especially us retired types, time is cheap and the satisfaction of repairing rather than replacing is valuable.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Very good work and pics, bigdeal. I have done the same to doors that had so much removed from the bottom rail that the skin came loose, but I owned a cabinet shop Smile Maybe the end dowels were overkill.....

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Nice clamp collection! The ⅜" dowels is a rockin' idea! Decades ago I worked in a lumber yard, and Charlie, the door guy, was often called to trim down hollow core doors. But he never secured the top (stile?) into the rails.

Next you'll be removing hollow-core bathroom doors and filling them with sound-deadening insulation.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
When I pull something like this off I feel like doing an endzone dance. Such a small victory, yet so very good feeling.

Well done.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Any idea why the original header failed?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

They didn't use enough clamps while gluing it together originally.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
That's awesome, bigdeal. Great job. It looks really nice.

Was it hard to get out, and to re-attach the hardware?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24107 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Way to go!! Awesome job done and door looks like it hasn't been touched.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Nice Work, Having done a few of these I really appreciate the patience you exhibited removing the old stile. Dowels were actually a good idea since regluing skins is sometimes dicey owing to the original glue residue.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I love pocket doors.
Nice work.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I have two that are short. I wish I could fix them like that :/
Great job !

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

I wondered if something in the door's environment caused the problem. With all the surface area between the header and panel and a low stress joint, hard to figure how that much glue could fail.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a professional carpenter, and I would have done the same thing as the OP.

Posts: 219 | Registered: June 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Doesn't that look great? YES! It is an open and shut case!

While I've never had pocket doors in my home, I think they are kinda neat.

I can also appreciate the value of doing it myself and saving wads of cash. I'm the guy that read that an automatic transmission can be rebuilt using $80 worth of parts...

It took three weekends and a few swear words too.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Maybe the end dowels were overkill.....
No such thing. One time when I was building cabinets for my garbage, my elderly neighbor came over to check things out. First words out of his mouth were..."You know you aren't building those for NASA, right?" My response...."I only know how to do things one way. And that way requires everything to be as near perfect as possible." Just the way I was raised.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Very funny pal. I suspect the failure had something to do with a teenager who only knows how to slam doors around.

And for the record, that's only about a third of the hand clamps I have in my shop. Razz