SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ND outside Davenport IA gun show
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ND outside Davenport IA gun show Login/Join 
posted
I was there Saturday. The show itself has always been a no CCW/no loaded guns area, I did not know that also applied to the parking lot.

http://qctimes.com/news/local/...9c-1cec8a72d4c1.html

Man seriously wounded in accidental shooting at Davenport gun show

Barb Ickes 1 hr ago

A West Liberty man sustained serious, potentially life-threatening injuries after accidentally shooting himself outside a Davenport gun show Sunday.

The unidentified 42-year-old, "had a negligent discharge of his personal firearm while seated in his vehicle," police wrote in an email Monday, saying the investigation into the incident is preliminary.

The shooting occurred in the parking lot of the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds, which was hosting the Big Bore Gun Show from Friday until Sunday at 3 p.m.

Police were called to the fairgrounds at 1:36 p.m. Sunday.

"The subject sustained a serious and potentially life-threatening injury," police Major Jeff Bladel wrote. "Initial treatment was provided on scene, and he was transported to Genesis East Hospital for further treatment. No other injuries or damage was reported."

Shawn Loter, fairgrounds general manager, said he had just left for the day Sunday when he got a call about the shooting.

"It's a freak accident," he said Monday. "I'm glad no one else got hurt. He went to his truck, loaded the gun and put it in the holster, and it went off.

"There were people around him. He was, like, 'I just shot myself,' and people helped him out. He was holding his side."

Loaded weapons are not permitted on fairgrounds property, nor are they permitted inside the gun show, he said.

"Folks bring guns to sell, and they are checked when they are brought in and when they leave," he said. "They're not supposed to be loaded, going in or coming out. The only ones who have loaded guns in there are the cops."

Asked whether he would pursue action against the injured man for violating the fairground's rules that ban guns, Loter said he isn't yet sure.

"That's something I have to look into," he said. "It just happened yesterday. But that's my rule —no loaded guns on the grounds, unless you're a cop."

While police said the man's injuries were serious, Loter said he was updated Monday morning and got a much better report.

"He lucked out; didn't hit any organs," he said. "They got the bullet out. He was very lucky."

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
A few months ago I was at a local gun show when a vendor had a ND. Luckily, the bullet went into the floor. I was about 15 feet away and it freaked me out. Thanks to him, no more gun shows will be allowed to be held there. It was a city sports center and apparently the damage to the basketball floor was pretty costly.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing this guy followed the rules and left his CCW gun in the car, had the ND while putting it back on.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
I'm guessing this guy followed the rules and left his CCW gun in the car, had the ND while putting it back on.

Confused

Isn’t that what it says in the article?

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Unless he was wearing the old Elliot Ness, the pistol did not "go off" when he "put it in the holster". Else he would have shot hisself in the laig, his ass or his junk. (not his side)

More likely he might have been wearing an IWB holster and trying to jam it in while sitting in his vehicle.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It's refreshing to see that the article calls the incident what it was -- negligent, not accident.
A few years ago my wife and I were on line to enter a gun show at the Orlando fair ground. Home boy in front of us was at the table where a couple of Sheriff Deputies were checking firearms that were brought into the building, to verify that they were unloaded and clear, and to stick cable ties through the action.

Home boy removed empty magazine from his pistol, showed it to the cop and said, "It's empty, yo!"

Cop took the gun, cycled the slide, and sure enough, a round came flying out of the chamber.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several years ago at the big Tulsa show, there was a round fired during the setup on Friday(went through the metal roof-you could see a pinhole of light). My friend asked me if that was a shot. I answered that, yes it was, and it was also a signal that some more tables just became available.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Asked whether he would pursue action against the injured man for violating the fairground's rules that ban guns, Loter said he isn't yet sure.

"That's something I have to look into," he said. "It just happened yesterday. But that's my rule —no loaded guns on the grounds, unless you're a cop."
Oooookaaaay, which one is it? I mean it clearly doesn't ban guns, it bans loaded guns, no?
Is it his rule, or the county? I'm confused...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:

Oooookaaaay, which one is it? I mean it clearly doesn't ban guns, it bans loaded guns, no?
Is it his rule, or the county? I'm confused...

I too am wondering. I don't think the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds are owned by Scott County, but I do not know what board/commission/entity owns the site.

http://mvfair.com/

https://www.scottcountyiowa.com/

I know of one CCW holder who followed the rules and left his handgun in his car, I'm certain there were MANY more. None of them were negligent in reholstering.