SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2017 Corvette as everyday car
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 Corvette as everyday car Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
New vettes are sitting right now, we have plenty. See if we have one you like and I'll get you a price on it, delivered price if that's what you want. I don't deal in the vettes much, mostly in commercial trucks, but can get you a bottom dollar figure.

http://www.maxieprice.com/Vehi...set=0&model=Corvette

My budget can afford a base model coupe or maybe convertible. GA is a long haul from PA and I'd have to trade in my 2015 Camry as part of the deal. Local dealer has 2017 coupes starting as low as 48500.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We have 2003 C5, it was my wife's DD when we lived in NJ. She had no problem using it, just took one of our other cars in bad weather. I still get a big smile on my face when I take it out, which is not often enough.

Do it!!!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
My 70 something year old mother, who believes she is Paris Hilton, drives a Vette as a daily driver during the non-snow seasons. She's also active in one of the local car clubs, so it gives her some extra social stuff to get involved with.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Have You been on any of the Corvette Forums?

Lots of opinions, but a lot of knowledge too. Especially who sells them the cheapest.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Yeah, they get great gas mileage and drive great. A little low to the ground and don't store a lot of stuff so as long as you're not going grocery shopping for a family of 4 you'll be fine. Besides, can't you drive the Tundra if you get sick of the vette?

Kerbeck has been known for having rock bottom prices on new vettes for decades.

I disagree on the "don't store a lot of stuff" comment. I have regularly transported my 5-piece drum kit in my 2003 Coupe. The bass drum occupied the passenger seat. Big Grin

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm also considering a Nissan 370Z, it's about 10 grand cheaper but doesn't come close in looks compared to the Vette. Anyone owned/driven the 370Z and how it compares to the Vette.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lunasee:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Yeah, they get great gas mileage and drive great. A little low to the ground and don't store a lot of stuff so as long as you're not going grocery shopping for a family of 4 you'll be fine. Besides, can't you drive the Tundra if you get sick of the vette?

Kerbeck has been known for having rock bottom prices on new vettes for decades.

I disagree on the "don't store a lot of stuff" comment. I have regularly transported my 5-piece drum kit in my 2003 Coupe. The bass drum occupied the passenger seat. Big Grin

I'm single, no kids so all I have to worry about transporting is me and I travel light so space isn't an issue

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
You might be interested in this site. Lot's of good info and you can probably pose the same question there and get owners feedback. But be aware, a percentage of them are "purists" and have garage queens.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/

Only downside to a Vette as a DD is you will run up the miles on it. If you aren't a "purist" and can stand the depreciation that results, that's not an issue.

I have an 87 with 171K on the clock, not really worried about it being a collector since they made a bazillion of them.

Go for it! Best "Supercar" for under 120K on the planet. Half the money of its peers and will eat most of them for lunch, then burp.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
You might be interested in this site. Lot's of good info and you can probably pose the same question there and get owners feedback. But be aware, a percentage of them are "purists" and have garage queens.

Only downside to a Vette as a DD is you will run up the miles on it. If you aren't a "purist" and can stand the depreciation that results, that's not an issue.

I have an 87 with 171K on the clock, not really worried about it being a collector since they made a bazillion of them.

Go for it! Best "Supercar" for under 120K on the planet. Half the money of its peers and will eat most of them for lunch, then burp.

I plan on keeping it for a while and driving it so I can enjoy the ride so I'm not concerned with depreciation. Makes no sense to buy a sports car and keep it in the garage

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

I plan on keeping it for a while and driving it so I can enjoy the ride so I'm not concerned with depreciation. Makes no sense to buy a sports car and keep it in the garage

Agreed!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about getting a used Porsche or Corvette for awhile now.

The cost of a 7-9 year old (C6) corvette convertible is about $25,000-28,000 near me. A coupe will be even less.
You can find very good condition cars for this price. The mileage might be on the high side (about 50,000-80,000 miles), but it's not uncommon to see corvette like these with 200,000 miles with original motors. They are very reliable.

A Porsche, on the other hand is a European car, and I would hesitate to buy one out of warranty since parts and labor are very expensive. But the older ones (2005) like the 911 turbo can be had for under $55,000. They are somewhat reliable.

If you need/want a C7 corvette, then you have only a few tears to choose from, but you should save a lot over new.

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dano36
posted Hide Post
GO FOR IT!!! I drive my 2016 Torch Red coupe on sunny days and my 16 year old Jeep when it rains. I bought a second set of rims and a set of Mich. Pilot Sport all season run flats for colder weather. The vette rides better and gets great gas mileage. I bought a 2LT with the Z51 option. not top of the line but seemed to be the sweet spot on options (HUD, front cameras, etc.)

Posts: 72 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by terma-nator:
I've been thinking about getting a used Porsche or Corvette for awhile now.

The cost of a 7-9 year old (C6) corvette convertible is about $25,000-28,000 near me. A coupe will be even less.
You can find very good condition cars for this price. The mileage might be on the high side (about 50,000-80,000 miles), but it's not uncommon to see corvette like these with 200,000 miles with original motors. They are very reliable.

A Porsche, on the other hand is a European car, and I would hesitate to buy one out of warranty since parts and labor are very expensive. But the older ones (2005) like the 911 turbo can be had for under $55,000. They are somewhat reliable.

If you need/want a C7 corvette, then you have only a few tears to choose from, but you should save a lot over new.

I'm buying new so I'll have a full warrenty, European cars while nice are to expensive to maintain and none of them have the style of the Vette.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
New vettes are sitting right now, we have plenty. See if we have one you like and I'll get you a price on it, delivered price if that's what you want. I don't deal in the vettes much, mostly in commercial trucks, but can get you a bottom dollar figure.

http://www.maxieprice.com/Vehi...set=0&model=Corvette

Ha, I was gonna mention Maxie Price. Used to be the largest Corvette dealer in the world in volume, I think I remember. Something like that. Growing up I had to watch those "where's Loganville?" commercials way too often.

Think we've met a time or two from GON lunches as well...

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm buying new so I'll have a full warrenty, European cars while nice are to expensive to maintain and none of them have the style of the Vette.

You might consider extended warranty through GM on something a few years old. You can get bumper to bumper on some of these plans. Not cheap but a lot cheaper than buying new. I'm not a big fan of the 7th generation look personally but if that is important to you, it's certainly a personal thing. Those first few years of owning new are really costly but again, if you can handle it, go ahead! Make sure you check out your ability to get in and out of it before doing anything.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In HS I ran around with a dude who had a crazy uncle. This guy owned:
1968 L88 Corvette Convertible. Rock Crusher 4 Speed. Bright Yellow.
The uncle let us drive it! One of the scariest cars I ever drove. A monster.
Now worth 300K+. If you can find one.
Can I turn back the clock? Please?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post