SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2017 Corvette as everyday car
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 Corvette as everyday car Login/Join 
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
I'm also considering buying a boat if I don't get the Vette.

No comparison whatsoever. Please do not buy a boat instead of a Vette.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
I appreciate everyone's comments and they will go a long way in helping me make a decision. I've already checked insurance rates and if I keep the Camry my rates go up about a hundred bucks a month. I was considering a base model since it's what my budget can afford, the higher end models are about 10K or more out of my price range. How much money for a set of tires and how many miles do you get on a set of tires? I figure I can drive the Vette spring, summer and fall and drive the tundra once it gets cold. I think I'll be OK getting in and out since I'm still in pretty good shape. I'm also considering buying a boat if I don't get the Vette.

Buy a 2 year old Vette and get the boat too.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Owned multiple Vettes over the years and drove them a lot.
Very dependable and non-finicky. And I know of what I speak since I once owned an Alfa!
Until it snows. Not the greatest experience in winter.
And you look like an idiot cruising in the snow in a Vette.
But for spring, summer and fall, no problem!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
I appreciate everyone's comments and they will go a long way in helping me make a decision. I've already checked insurance rates and if I keep the Camry my rates go up about a hundred bucks a month. I was considering a base model since it's what my budget can afford, the higher end models are about 10K or more out of my price range. How much money for a set of tires and how many miles do you get on a set of tires? I figure I can drive the Vette spring, summer and fall and drive the tundra once it gets cold. I think I'll be OK getting in and out since I'm still in pretty good shape. I'm also considering buying a boat if I don't get the Vette.

Buy a 2 year old Vette and get the boat too.

I wish I could get both but the boat I'm looking at costs between 60 and 70K so it's one or the other but not both. I also looked at used Vettes but in my area they cost almost as much as new ones. The dealership I'm looking to purchase from is FC Kerbeck in Atlantic city and they claim to be the number 1 corvette dealer in the country. From what I've seen on their website their prices for new Vette's is the same as what other dealerships are asking for used Vettes.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Check around buy it out of state, or wait for winter, nobody is out buying sports cars in January in Jersey...

As to Kerbeck, well being largest doesn't mean least expensive, Daytona Harley is one of the largest dealers in the country, prices historically were stupid high, because A) they had the bike you want in the color you want that day, b) location, Florida, ride all year and two massive bike events. Supply allowed bigger prices.

Find a smaller dealer and shop the internet, and I agree if you can swing a couple years older or even go for the previous C version you'll score a nice second corvette for a lot less money. 2017's are very nice, I've had a few corvettes 82, 86, wish I'd kept the 82, the 86 was fun third car, added a 150 shot of NOS, did a lot of fun performance upgrades.

Bought both used, narry an image issue buying used its still a Corvette.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned Porsches over about the last 20 years. Fun cars... really fun. I am about to get rid of my current one for more a sport sedan. As I get older climbing in and out a seat that is 12" off the ground is growing old. I'm also tired of not being able to get two sets golf clubs and two people in the car at the same time. If you think you won't get tired of the "lowness" go for it. If you think you will, maybe rethink your dream car?

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I've had four Corvettes over the years; 1965, 1967 427 convert, 1969 coupe and a 1971 coupe.

Last year got the urge for a new one, did a lot of looking, decided on a 2012-2014 model. Still able to get in and out OK at 66 yoa, quite a bit of room, wouldn't be my ONLY vehicle, etc.

Then I drove a new, Gen 6 Camaro. The SS has the same LT-1 engine, easier in and out and FAR cheaper. So went that route. Couldn't be happier. DO IT!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I've had four Corvettes over the years; 1965, 1967 427 convert, 1969 coupe and a 1971 coupe.

Last year got the urge for a new one, did a lot of looking, decided on a 2012-2014 model. Still able to get in and out OK at 66 yoa, quite a bit of room, wouldn't be my ONLY vehicle, etc.

Then I drove a new, Gen 6 Camaro. The SS has the same LT-1 engine, easier in and out and FAR cheaper. So went that route. Couldn't be happier. DO IT!

The Camaro and Mustang don't really do anything for me, nor do the last generation Corvette so if I buy one it has to be the current model. I'm planning on checking the dealership out later this week but I don't think getting in or out will be a problem.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Paired with a truck, it'll be a great choice.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eat, sleep, fish.
Forced to work.
posted Hide Post
I had three of them, a 78 Pace Car, 78 Silver Anniversary model and a 94 competition yellow. Loved them all! BUT asswipes like to door ding you, even if you park in the farthest point from a store entry. I loved driving the pace car most every day to work, as it had many miles on it and I had the engine rebuilt. The 94 was incredible for gas mileage and acceleration. When I got married, they were all gondi. My husband could not even ride in the '78 models without the t-tops off. I miss having any of those fun cars. DO IT if you can!

Posts: 715 | Location: MN | Registered: January 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I've had a 68,01,03,09,and now a 2012. I did not daily drive any of them but see no reason why you couldn't. The coupes have a ton of room in the rear hatch area for stuff. Convertibles not much room at all. The two biggest issues for daily driving would be: they are really low , so entry and exit can be tough. The tires are going to be expensive and don't last very long. Big Grin

By the way the new models are fantastic drivers. The best driving Vette ever IMO.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
A Corvette may cost you as much for insurance as those other three cars.

They really don't. Most are driven occasionally by middle aged men on sunny days. The premium on mine is less than my Yukon.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bought used Corvettes on Ebay, Craigslist, Autotrader and private ads. I've bought very few from dealers. Our 2007 insurance is about $375 a year for very high coverage and low deductibles. There are cars for sale on that forum that I mentioned in my earlier post but the prices there sometimes run a little high.

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hell you say....get both. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
New vettes are sitting right now, we have plenty. See if we have one you like and I'll get you a price on it, delivered price if that's what you want. I don't deal in the vettes much, mostly in commercial trucks, but can get you a bottom dollar figure.

http://www.maxieprice.com/Vehi...set=0&model=Corvette

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have driven my 2008 Corvette daily since picking her up May 2008. Very comfortable, easy maintenance, expensive tires. She will remain my daily driver until next year when I get a new Corvette Grand Sport.

I recommend you go to Corvette forum and check out the dealer inventory forum. Check with those dealers as they usually have the best deals on Corvettes.

Good luck and enjoy your retirement which ever way you go.

Posts: 57 | Registered: November 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I think it is a great idea and will be a lot of fun - go for it.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I would skip the vette and buy a Porsche. I drove mine daily. and thinking of getting another this time a Cayman.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they get great gas mileage and drive great. A little low to the ground and don't store a lot of stuff so as long as you're not going grocery shopping for a family of 4 you'll be fine. Besides, can't you drive the Tundra if you get sick of the vette?

Kerbeck has been known for having rock bottom prices on new vettes for decades.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:

Hell you say....get both. Big Grin

Great picture thanks for sharing