SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can florescent bulbs be replaced by led bulbs?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can florescent bulbs be replaced by led bulbs? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Have fixture installed in shed (thanks Jesse!) but would like more light. Short of installing a new fixture, can existing bulbs be replaced?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
By fluorescent, do you mean the long skinny fluorescent bulbs and the three styles are t5, t8, and t12? If so, Amazon sells t5, t8, and t12 LED replacement bulbs.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Roger you can just put LED replacement lamps in, light may be slightly brighter, but they are designed as replacements not upgrades. I forgot what we installed, was it a two lamp 4' florescent?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I have a few LED replacement bulbs and they work good. My only issue they can be flakey at low settings with a dimmer.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Bought replacement LEDs for my garage florescents, been in for a couple of years, they are brighter/whiter and didn't have to remove ballast or change the end tombstones, simple to do.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco has them. Direct replacement for the 4' tubes. Nice and bright.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
We replaced flo bulbs with LEDs in probably 60 fixtures where I work a couple of years ago. Probably had to replace 6 defective bulbs in that time, and not one damned ballast. The quality of light is much better, too.

I've replace some at home as well and am very happy.

IMPORTANT NOTE: the replacement LEDs require the "tombstones" in the fixture to be "non-shunted." I think, but am not certain, that means there is not a physical connection in the tombstone completing the circuit between the two wires that run into the tombstone which allows power to flow from one tombstone to an adjacent tombstone.

To make life easy, I suggest purchasing LEDs that have the proper tombstones included. I've used the brand "Toggled," from Home Depot. They include tombstones as well as wire nuts. If you have a 4-bulb fixture, you may need a large (yellow) wire nut to accommodate all of the wires, instead of the smaller (orange) ones. The Toggled bulbs I got included that, as well.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
We replaced flo bulbs with LEDs in probably 60 fixtures where I work a couple of years ago. Probably had to replace 6 defective bulbs in that time, and not one damned ballast. The quality of light is much better, too.

I've replace some at home as well and am very happy.

IMPORTANT NOTE: the replacement LEDs require the "tombstones" in the fixture to be "non-shunted." I think, but am not certain, that means there is not a physical connection in the tombstone completing the circuit between the two wires that run into the tombstone which allows power to flow from one tombstone to an adjacent tombstone.

To make life easy, I suggest purchasing LEDs that have the proper tombstones included. I've used the brand "Toggled," from Home Depot. They include tombstones as well as wire nuts. If you have a 4-bulb fixture, you may need a large (yellow) wire nut to accommodate all of the wires, instead of the smaller (orange) ones. The Toggled bulbs I got included that, as well.

You are the second person to mention "shunted" sockets recently. What does that mean? I'm a master electrician and have done LED retrofits for every kind of fixture there is and never heard the term before.

Whatever you are using sounds way overly complicated. If it's T8 you can just buy the replacement Phillips lamps and swap with no other changes. There are many on the market that just pop in.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Shunted vs non-shunted

Posts: 7310 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
A timely topic. I have 22 year old fluorescent 2-bulb fixtures with balast. I got some LED bulbs from Home Depot and they would not light. Friend told me I had to take out the balast and then they would work? Sounds like that's not the case from reading the comments here.

Would love to just buy LED and plug them in...Help!

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Shunted v. Non-shunted.

https://insights.regencylighti...o-tell-what-you-need

EDIT TO ADD: I've only done replacements where I was able to remove the ballast, as getting rid of the ballast was a major appeal to me.

Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
Shunted vs non-shunted

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Bdsj8HMDGtA" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Thanks

i have wanting to upgrade garage lighting and this will help.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
This is a pretty good video by the brand I used:

<br />

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
Shunted vs non-shunted

[FLASH_VIDEO][/FLASH_VIDEO]

Ah, it's the difference between instant/rapid start ballasts. Instant start ballasts will use sockets with two spots to plug wires into, rapid start will have four. For the most part shunted will = T8 (except the very earliest ones) and T12 will use non-shunted.

You will only use non-shunted for direct wired self driven tubes (we do not use this kind for safety reasons). So I have only worked with ballast driven LEDs. When I convert T12/rapid start/non-shunted fixtures to LED I install new T8 ballast and part of the rewiring process turns them into shunted sockets.

Now it all makes sense. I suggest NOT using retrofit tubes that use 120v. Too easy for someone to hurt themselves while changing lamps or short out tube while changing them. Anyone who has changed a lamp in a 2X4 lay-in fixture will know what I'm talking about, very hard to change lamp without one of the pins touching the fixtures metal framing.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Roger you can just put LED replacement lamps in, light may be slightly brighter, but they are designed as replacements not upgrades. I forgot what we installed, was it a two lamp 4' florescent?

Hi Jesse, yes... 2 lamp 4' florescent. You were right, lots of light is good! On an overcast day don't get much additional light.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
quote:

Hi Jesse, yes... 2 lamp 4' florescent. You were right, lots of light is good! On an overcast day don't get much additional light.

Depending on which brand lamps were put in those should put out 2600-2900 lumen. If you want brighter you will need something over 3,000 lumen which is not normal for the ones I've seen.

I'd suggest a second fixture over work space or changing to four lamp fixture. Next time I'm near your house I'll try and pop in and give you some advice. Are you using part of shed as workshop?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
So bottom line is I can get LEDs, Costco or HD, and replace existing florescent bulbs? No other thing necessary?

Sorry, posted before I saw your post Jesse

NRA Life Member

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suggest NOT using retrofit tubes that use 120v. Too easy for someone to hurt themselves while changing lamps or short out tube while changing them. Anyone who has changed a lamp in a 2X4 lay-in fixture will know what I'm talking about, very hard to change lamp without one of the pins touching the fixtures metal framing.

There will only be power at one end of the bulb (with the ones I've done). I think it would probably be very difficult to touch one of the pins on the powered end to the metal while the other powered-end-pin was still in the socket. It's probably easy to touch one of the powered-end pins with your finger while the other is in the socket, however.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:
I suggest NOT using retrofit tubes that use 120v. Too easy for someone to hurt themselves while changing lamps or short out tube while changing them. Anyone who has changed a lamp in a 2X4 lay-in fixture will know what I'm talking about, very hard to change lamp without one of the pins touching the fixtures metal framing.

There will only be power at one end of the bulb (with the ones I've done). I think it would probably be very difficult to touch one of the pins on the powered end to the metal while the other was still in the socket. It's probably easy to touch one of the powered-end pins with your finger while the other is in the socket, however.

Your link also says they recommend against using direct wire for the same safety aspect as well as lack of consistent wiring diagram for direct wire/self driven lamps. I do them in commercial/retail environments where we can not turn off power while relamping/repairs so this plays a big part. Also the people who work in retail are generally as smart as fast food workers they are just more presentable and speak English.

Also for single pin lamps you will always have two live ends.

For home use I can't see any significant danger as it is simple to just turn off light switch when relamping.

It's funny we thought LEDs would kill our business because they are supposed to last 20 years, nope. I fix LEDs all the time, usually driver fails.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
So bottom line is I can get LEDs, Costco or HD, and replace existing florescent bulbs? No other thing necessary?

Sorry, posted before I saw your post Jesse

Try these Phillips ones, you should be able to find single/two packs in store. You will have to just try them and see if they appear brighter or not. No way to directly compare lumen ratings. If you don't think it's brighter, then just return them.

I'd just suggests separate task lighting if it's an issue of seeing something you are working on. If the entire shed needs more light then a second light or replace with 4 bulb one. There's a million options, just need to find the one that works for you..

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis