SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For those of you over 50...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those of you over 50... Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I'll be 52 in a few weeks, and feeling like if I'm ever going to do anything big in life, it's now or never. For those of you over 50, what are some life-changing things you've done later in life? A new job? A new career? Maybe a move to a different state?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I'm in my late 50s, my wife a little younger and we moved beginning of this year from CA to TX. It took us over a year of planning and execution before the actual move to get us to where we are today. In addition, I changed my business model a lot to accommodate my move and my wife changed jobs completely. A lot of hard work that paid off. Life is grand.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Turned 57 in September. Just about to start a new job on Monday, as my current company is getting rid of its Americans (the ceo hates us). Feeling very fortunate to have been able to find something in the auto industry at this age. Suspect that others are probably in the same boat with age discrimination.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I bought a Harley when I was 64. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Filed a divorce a month after my 51st birthday. Looking at getting a motorcycle again after 20 years. No, nothing of note, hoping life gets better when I get a bike again.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I quit a 25 year job at 53 moved 300 miles to start with a different company. I retired at 65 and have enjoyed the crap out of almost 4 years of retirement.

We've lived 2 winters in central Mexico and now we winter in Destin Florida.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I’m 51. I started my own business in 2008. Struggled through the bad economy, now am enjoying the windfalls of it. Finally.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started a L E career full time at 48....

So I got that going for me...

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Retired 9 months ago at 58.

Definitely life changing and I highly recommend it. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
what are some life-changing things you've done later in life?

....at age '50 something' I took 3rd place in a large international stunt kite flying contest....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I changed jobs at 49. Not quite 50 but close enough.

Posts: 12435 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Yep - new state, new job (same industry) and now another inside opportunity (down your way). Couple years ago I went down to SLC and did the Ultimate Challenge - feels good to be able to do something like that a couple times a year.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
63 later this month. When I was 53, I moved to the Yoop (alone) and started a new chapter of my life. Volunteer Deputy with MCSO. TRIAD member. MDNR Hunter Safety Instructor.
Its my plan to stay active as long as I possibly can. At this stage, its move it or lose it.
Oh... BMW S1000XR keeps me young.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
58 here, a lot of ups and downs through life. I was laid off back in 2008, landed a better job at a larger company in the same field.
A career change would be good if you need more income, you need to focus on where you want to be in 12yrs or so.

Last year I had a quad bypass done for a heart attack, 4 months of recovery on a lower income helped me realize to save more.

Make sure you have 4months or so of saved income, always be prepared for any unexpected health issues.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Got my Harley at 53 and my first computer at 56.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Moved to a different state and started a new job at 50. Just turned 64 and been retired for 4 days. Now on to the next adventure.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I’m 51. I started my own business in 2008. Struggled through the bad economy, now am enjoying the windfalls of it. Finally.
Tell us more. I think I just choose the wrong business. I just turned 50 and this lawn crap is for the young.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I'll be 52 in a few weeks, and feeling like if I'm ever going to do anything big in life, it's now or never. For those of you over 50, what are some life-changing things you've done later in life? A new job? A new career? Maybe a move to a different state?

On my fiftieth birthday I piloted, albeit for a few minutes, a Britten-Norman Defender in the skies over Northern Ireland. Not at the usual 250 ft used by finding IEDs, but at a safe[ish] 5000ft AMSL.

Since then I've had four career changes and four retirements. I'm working on my fifth retirement, but not anytime soon, I hope.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Retired at 50 and started a new career. Retired from that after 11 years and started a new, much less stressful, job working in a gun store. Moved the same month I retired to a much easier to maintain house.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
My wife retired a couple of years ago, just before my daughter got pregnant with our first grandchild. My daughter and son in law wants us to be there for Henry, so we have a second abode in Wisconsin. My wife is there more than I am, but it has been very rewarding.

Since I live 1/4 mile from my two childhood homes in Missouri and have lived in one place my entire life, it is interesting adjusting to living elsewhere. I look forward to being in both places. We are an important part of my daughters' family.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post