SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Portable radio charge question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portable radio charge question Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
I have a set of small walkie talkie radios with a charger base. Each radio require 4 AAA batteries.
Power supply is marked 7.2v. When I check the charge port it reads 14.3v. Is this normal or is my power supply whacked?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4132 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Do you mean the AC adapter says it is supposed to put out 7.2V and when you measure it (not connected to anything), it puts out 14.3V?

That isn't necessarily abnormal. Cheap wall-wart power supplies often put out higher-than-normal voltages when there is no load (no current draw). The voltage drops to approximately the rated voltage once power is actually being drawn.

There isn't a great way to test if that adapter works that way without having a dummy load of approximately the correct resistance. Shorting it would drop the voltage but could damage the adapter.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Higher no load voltage is common with some chargers. I have a couple of Solar battery chargers that put out a measured 22 Volts in direct sunlight but work fine on 12 Volt motorcycle batteries.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post