SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Russian intelligence ship sinks off Turkey's Black Sea coast
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russian intelligence ship sinks off Turkey's Black Sea coast Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Somebody won't be making Admiral!

ISTANBUL, April 27 (Reuters) - A Russian naval intelligence ship sank off Turkey's Black Sea coast on Thursday after colliding with a vessel carrying livestock and all 78 personnel on board the navy ship were evacuated, Turkish officials said.

The rescued crew members of the Russian ship Liman were in good health after the collision with the Togo-flagged Youzarsif H, Turkey's Transport Minister Ahmed Arslan said.

The incident took place in fog and low visibility 18 miles (29 km) from Kilyos village on the Black Sea coast just north of Istanbul.

Turkish authorities dispatched a tugboat and three fast rescue vessels, the coastal safety authority said.

Advisers to Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim conveyed his sadness over the incident to Russian counterparts, according to sources in his office.

Relations between the two countries have suffered from political disputes over the civil war in Syria, where Moscow and Ankara support different factions.

Russian warships frequently pass through the narrow Bophorus Strait, which cuts through Istanbul, on their way from the Black Sea to Syria's Mediterranean coast.

A spokesman for Hammami Livestock which owns the Youzarsif H said there had been no loss of life on board the vessel. "It is considered a slight hit, for us," he told Reuters in Lebanon, adding he had no information about the cause of the collision.

"We don't know our losses yet, but thank God there is no loss of life - neither from our side nor from the other ship," he said, adding the livestock carrier was heading to Jordan's Red Sea port of Aqaba from Romania.

The Youzarsif H was built in 1977 and has a capacity of 2,418 tonnes, according to Thomson Reuters shipping data.

The Bosphorus, which cuts through Istanbul, is one of the world's most important waterways for transit of oil and grains. The 17-mile waterway connects the Black Sea to the Mediterranean.

When the collision took place, at 11.45 am (0845 GMT), the Bosphorus had already been closed to shipping because of the poor visibility, shipping agency GAC said.

(Reporting by Can Sezer and Humeyra Pamuk in Istanbul, Tuvan Gumrukcu in Ankara and Yara Abi Nader in Beirut; Writing by David Dolan and Dominic Evans; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope they had insurance.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Intelligence ship? Somebody musta bumped the "Off" switch on their radar. Yeah.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

That's what caught my eye.

These things are always appalling fiascos at some level. I went to Emergency Ship Handling School in the Navy. We spent the better part of a week on the collision between the Andrea Doria and Stockholm. Those ships couldn't have hit each other if they had tried to, but in manuevering to avoid, they managed to collide.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I hope the US Navy helps them retrieve their vessel.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't know about this particular ship, but many intel-gathering ships are more of 'collectors' instead of 'transmitters.' Their job is to sail around and soak up and record everybody else's' transmissions. Many milirary ships don't use radar a lot; this may have been one of them.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
They will probably accuse the US Navy of secretly casuing this!
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
I hope the US Navy helps them retrieve their vessel.

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Didn't a James Bond movie start with similar plot? An intelligence vessel posing as a fishing boat sank and the race was on to recover the sensitive equipment?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
For Your Eyes Only Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Didn't a James Bond movie start with similar plot? An intelligence vessel posing as a fishing boat sank and the race was on to recover the sensitive equipment?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
A long time ago I sailed in the area and just outside of the bosphorus strait is a shipping nightmare...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

I don't know about this particular ship, but many intel-gathering ships are more of 'collectors' instead of 'transmitters.'...

I imagine they may re-write their operations manual to include "collect info on anything you may be about to run into." Wink

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Apparently a Russian Intelligence ship looks a whole lot like a rusting, Central American POS. Just sayin'...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As above, they probably had their radar turned off to be more stealthy. In thick fog and heavy traffic a collision could be expected.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
sank off Turkey's Black Sea coast on Thursday after colliding with a vessel carrying livestock

I guess someone had a beef with them.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
They should have been able to smell them from 500 yards. Maybe the wind was wrong.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Apparently a Russian Intelligence ship looks a whole lot like a rusting, Central American POS. Just sayin'...

It's traditional. Apparently most of them used to look like fishing trawlers.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
sank off Turkey's Black Sea coast on Thursday after colliding with a vessel carrying livestock

I guess someone had a beef with them.

What happened to the lost livestock shipment?

Nobody's herd.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post