SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another money grabbing lawsuit against McDonald's
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another money grabbing lawsuit against McDonald's Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
This is ridiculous. I'm not a fan of McDonald's but it seems they've become a cash cow for trivial lawsuits.

Two McDonald’s customers in Florida are suing the fast-food giant for a hefty sum of $5 million because they say they’re being unfairly charged for cheese they don’t want on their burgers.

Cynthia Kissner and Leonard Werner argue that hamburgers and cheeseburgers are different prices on the McDonald’s menu, but when they order a Quarter Pounder without the extra dairy, they’re still forced to pay the same amount.

According to the lawsuit, filed May 8 in Fort Lauderdale seeking class-action status, McDonald’s used to sell four different Quarter Pounder options, two of which came without cheese and cost between 30 to 90 cents less, the Miami Herald reports.

But "at some point," the lawsuit claims, the restaurant stopped "separately displaying these products for purchase on menus, and currently lists the availability of Quarter Pounder with Cheese and Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese."

Since this change, "customers have been forced, and continue to be overcharged for these products, by being forced to pay for two slices of cheese, which they do not want, order, or receive, to be able to purchase their desired product," the lawsuit claims, according to the Herald.

"McDonald's is being unjustly enriched by these practices because it receives payment for cheese it does not deliver to its customers," the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit claims the plaintiffs "have suffered injury as a result of their purchases because they were overcharged, and were required to pay for cheese, which is not a component of either a Quarter Pounder or a Double Quarter Pounder, that they did not want and did not receive," the Herald reports.

McDonald’s lists the ingredients of the Quarter Pounder with Cheese on its website, which include a quarter-pound 100 percent beef patty, sesame seed bun, pasteurized process American cheese, ketchup, pickle slices and onions. It also lists nutritional info for a Quarter Pounder without Cheese, though it doesn’t specify prices for the two.

A McDonald’s spokesperson told USA Today the company does “not believe the claims in this lawsuit have legal merit. The advertised Quarter Pounder burger comes with cheese. We try to accommodate our customers’ requests by allowing them to customize their orders, such as a Quarter Pounder with no cheese."

The spokesperson also noted that individual franchisees set their menu prices based on their respective markets.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-dr...-pounder-cheese.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
So what does this imply?

If you want to hold the pickle, that 5 cents off, no mustard saves a dime, extra catsup, adds a nickle, etc.

Jeepers!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Generally a restaurant doesn't reduce the price of an item if you request something be left off.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Most lawyers are thieves by nature so this does not surprise me. Frown

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I have an aversion to dairy, so I ask for the 1/4 hamburger. Most but NOT all McD offer this, and yes it is less. Quite a few employees do not know it exists on menu boards.

Wait till she finds out it may have been an option all along. Still, dumb ass suit.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
But is it real cheese?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
when they order a Quarter Pounder without the extra dairy, they’re still forced to pay the same amount.

Not really. They aren't being forced to do anything. If they don't like it, they don't have to order it. They don't even have to walk into a McDonald's to begin with.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
But is it real cheese?
Their burgers aren't real meat - why would they use real cheese?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great idea. Those who are partially bald should get a discount on their haircuts. Similar discounts should apply to the dentist if you have a partial plate. Yeah and I should pay less because less fabric is required to make jeans that have a 30 inch waist. I like this logic.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I ordered a burger with NO lettuce. The bastages put lettuce on it. Do we have a SIGforum lawyer who will take my case on contingency?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
McDonald's "forced" them to buy a quarter pounder without cheese for the same cost as one with cheese.

Must be that Jedi mind trick I keep hearing doe much about which only works on the weak minded.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Those who brought this garbage lawsuit (lawyer included) should be deposited into a giant wood chipper. People like that are ruining this great nation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I am reminded of a similar case many years ago.

IBM was being sued left and right, most of those suits came from "nobodies" claiming millions for some trumped up BS.

IBM lawyers (hah!) decided it was easier and cheaper to just pay them off than going to court.

Got some new IBM leadership who said that this procedure was incredibly stupid as all it did was encourage people to file suit, counting on IBM to pay them off.

New leadership stated that IBM would defend any and all lawsuits, and when the one filing the suit lost, they would be liable to pay IBM's costs.

Stupid shit ended, PROMPTLY and existing suits were all dropped.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Most lawyers are thieves by nature so this does not surprise me. Frown

Really?

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine a rational attorney taking this case on a contingency basis. So, maybe the 2 idiots have money to blow in hopes of a bigger payoff.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That’s not cheese

Posts: 26902 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Generally a restaurant doesn't reduce the price of an item if you request something be left off.

They're not asking for an item to be left off. They're asking for a product McDonald's sells but doesn't display on their menu in order to sell it at the higher cost option.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

They're not asking for an item to be left off. They're asking for a product McDonald's sells but doesn't display on their menu in order to sell it at the higher cost option.
Where is the Quarter Pounder without Cheese on the menu???

It's my understanding that the Quarter Pounder, by definition, comes with cheese.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where is the Quarter Pounder without Cheese on the menu???

It's my understanding that the Quarter Pounder, by definition, comes with cheese.

You are correct. There is no quarter pounder. The only menu item is quarter pounder with cheese. The whopper is the burger where cheese must be added as an option.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post