SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about Scotch Whisky (that is, I have a question)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Scotch Whisky (that is, I have a question) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
What does Glenlivet taste like for someone really only familiar with Jack Daniels?

Less harsh, more complex, and with a hint of the smoky peat moss flavor.

Glenlivet and Glenfiddich 12's are great "intro" single malts to just buy a bottle of, as they are in the $40 range, not a huge risk, nor a huge departure from bourbons like the peat-monster ones can be.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Return the favor and give him a bottle of Highland Park 12. This whisky opened up a whole new world for me.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are a lot of whisky's out there from blechhhh to OMG this tastes like a giant took a piss thru a tire that was on fire and drained thru a swamp...into this glass....

and there are some that will taste like a mix of almond, fruit, maybe some wine flavor and have the color of amber and honey in the sunshine...

So, to save myself the whole giant thing...

I would like to try almond or fruit blend.

Macallan 12 year was wow, super strong going in, but had an amazing warm aftertaste of cinnamon.

Any suggestions for such taste?

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamerx4:
quote:
There are a lot of whisky's out there from blechhhh to OMG this tastes like a giant took a piss thru a tire that was on fire and drained thru a swamp...into this glass....

and there are some that will taste like a mix of almond, fruit, maybe some wine flavor and have the color of amber and honey in the sunshine...

Macallan 12 year was wow, super strong going in, but had an amazing warm aftertaste of cinnamon.

As far as I know, you have already found the goodness (Macallan)....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Can I ask why Scotches are always written "whisky" and bourbons are "whiskey?" Are the two spellings not interchangeable?

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Can I ask why Scotches are always written "whisky" and bourbons are "whiskey?" Are the two spellings not interchangeable?

If the name of the country where the whiskey originates from begins with a consonant, such as Scotland, then it is spelled "Whisky" with no "e" (Scotland, Canada, Japan). If the country begins with a vowel, then it is spelled "whiskey" with an "e" (Ireland, United States).

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Glenlivet 12 has been my "go to" since being introduced to it in Edinburg 9 years ago. It is easy to drink and your guests will like how smooth it is. It is also very low in sugar ontent. I don't drink any blended whiskeys anymore. It would be a crime to mix anything with a single malt other than a bit of water. If its mixed drinks you want the blended scotches will do, JW is a good one.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Glenmorangie, Dewar 12 Yr, Bushmill Red Bush, Powers Irish (maybe), Glenfiddich 18 Yr ($$$).

Try the Dewar 12 Yr first.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

More expensive than the Macallan, but the Balvenie 12 Yr Doublewood is excellent.

Both of these are a lot better than the Glenlivet 12 which is why they cost more!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Try Aberlour 12 year. It is a sherry cask finish scotch so on the sweet side rather than peat.

Some other great single malts to try:

Lagavullin 16 year, best balanced Islay scotch (peated)

Talisker 10 year, balanced on the peat side

Balvenie 12 year, great balance on the sherry side

Glenmorangie 12 and the Lasanta or Porto Ruben.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Back a few years ago when I still drank a little, Glennlivett 12 was my house scotch and I never felt like I was being cheapskate serving it to my scotch loving friends. They always appreciated it. I still have about 3/4 bottle on the shelf wich will probably last a while since along with me, many of my prior sctoch drinking friends are keeping it dry these days.

The JW is also a pretty good scotch. Your accantance is very thoughtful.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
If you like Macallan, try Balvinnie. The Doublewood is nice (damn, my bottle is nearly empty). Cragganmore is also a nice light kind of nutty Scotch with a sherry finish. Highland Park 12 used to be the epitome of the "all around" Scotch, but the last few bottles have seemed a bit more variable than they used to be.

If you like the lighter (non peat) side of Scotch, try some of the nicer Irish offerings. Redbreast and Green Spot fall in the price range of the Macallan and Balvinnie, Yellow Spot is pricey (but oh so worth it as a treat) and I recently discovered Writer's Tears which has become my go to mid shelf Irish whiskey.

I don't mind spending a bit on quality whiskey. I drink it slow and savor it so a bottle lasts me quite a while. It's quite possible that my expensive taste is the only thing that saves me from alcoholism...

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scooter 123 I like Red Breast Irish whiskey. Smooth.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
I like Red Breast Irish whiskey. Smooth.

A huge THUMBS UP!

For years I was a scotch single malt drinker but single pot still Irish won me over. Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
This is a favorite. Not your typical Glenlivet.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C L Wilkins:
This is a favorite. Not your typical Glenlivet.

I actually preferred the original Nadurra, when it was still sold as a 16 year old Scotch. I don't think the newer "no age statement" Nadurra is as good as the original. Some "no age statement" whiskys are awesome and totally stand without the age, but I think that Nadurra was hurt by the new process.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

{snip}
Whether it is whisky or whiskey has been the basis of many arguments over many years. The Scots spell it whisky and the Irish spell it whiskey, with an extra 'e'. This difference in the spelling comes from the translations of the word from the Scottish and Irish Gaelic forms. Whiskey with the extra 'e' is also used when referring to American whiskies. This 'e' was taken to the United States by the Irish immigrants in the 1700s and has been used ever since. Scotland, Ireland and America all have a rich heritage in the whisky industry.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

{snip}
Whether it is whisky or whiskey has been the basis of many arguments over many years. The Scots spell it whisky and the Irish spell it whiskey, with an extra 'e'. This difference in the spelling comes from the translations of the word from the Scottish and Irish Gaelic forms. Whiskey with the extra 'e' is also used when referring to American whiskies. This 'e' was taken to the United States by the Irish immigrants in the 1700s and has been used ever since. Scotland, Ireland and America all have a rich heritage in the whisky industry.

Properly spelled "uisge." Smile

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Glenlivet is a single malt, which means all the whisky came from one batch of malted grain.<snip>

"Single malt means that the whisky comes from one single distillery and the malt part refers to the malted barley.“

https://www.complex.com/pop-cu...-know-about-scotch/3

While all of the whisky in a single malt comes from the same distillery, different batches, from different barrels, are often blended to produce a consistent taste. The stated age of the whisky is that of the youngest component.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8936 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I am working on a bottle of Glenmorangie 18 year Extremely Rare that was sent to me as a gift. Man this is about the best scotch I have ever tasted but I unfortunately can't afford a regular supply. Back to my Glenlivet when this is gone. Which will be very soon.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post