SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about Scotch Whisky (that is, I have a question)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Scotch Whisky (that is, I have a question) Login/Join 
posted
I am not a Scotch drinker, I have had it, but not something that is on my go-to list. Hell, I barely drink at all anymore....but, I have an attorney that I send a lot of cases to that each year, as a thanks, gets me a bottle of scotch. I very nice gesture (and I dont care if it is rot gut and top shelf) and it is appreciated for the thought, but being I know nothing about scotch, should I serve this to guests, i would like to know something about them.

One is Glenlivet 12yr Single Malt and the other is Johnnie Walker 12yr "Black Label". Inform away.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Personally, the Glenlivet 12yo is a good standard scotch that can be served neat or on the rocks.

The Johnny is better for someone that wants a mixed drink, scotch and soda, or to be served after a few glasses of the Glenlivet (after two pours, I doubt I could tell the difference, and probably wouldn't care if I did! )

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't call either of them spectacular, but they're both good. Your guests will appreciate them.

Personally, I prefer a Macallan 12yr or 15yr. Occasionally I'll break out the Aberlour 12yr or The Dalmore 15yr. Good stuff. Smile

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1902 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Not a Scotch connoisseur by any means, but I know that Glenlivet 12 is from the Speyside region. I consider it a good "basic" single malt Scotch. You can also get Glenlivet at 15, 18, and 21 year ages (with the price going up exponentially Razz)

I'm not familiar with the Johnny Walker brand, but am pretty sure they are "blended".

Just as an aside, a good Scotch is to be enjoyed neat, or with a little ice, to be sipped and savored. When I have guests over, if they intend to use whisky to make a drink or toss back a shot, I do not give them good Scotch.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Yes, suitable for serving to guests. Neither the best nor the worst.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Mr. kablammo stated what I would have said.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Pretty much as mentioned above those are middle of the road (taste) Scotches.
I would put Macallan on that list but maybe a step up.
Good for safe gifts as individual tastes can vary.
As opposed to a "Peaty" Ardbeg or Laphroiag which are "great" Smile but an acquired taste that not all Scotch drinkers appreciate.
Hey, it's Scotch ~ what could be bad? Wink

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
Personally, the Glenlivet 12yo is a good standard scotch that can be served neat or on the rocks.

The Johnny is better for someone that wants a mixed drink, scotch and soda, or to be served after a few glasses of the Glenlivet (after two pours, I doubt I could tell the difference, and probably wouldn't care if I did! )

Took the words right out of my mouth.

JW Black is my go-to mixing Scotch when I want a Scotch and Ginger Ale.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Glenlivet is a single malt, which means all the whisky came from one batch of malted grain. As said, it is good whisky, if not spectacular to afficionados. It is mild in flavor, and somewhat light.

The Johnnie Walker is a blend, which means it can come from different batches of malt. This makes it easier for the distillery to make a consistent product. It is also a good whisky, if not spectacular.

Scotch snobs prefer single malts. But blends can be very good. One thing about single malts is that some have some very distinct flavors.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys are Awesome! Thank for the info!!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
jhe nailed it. Don’t be embarrassed to serve either but don’t expect anyone to be wowed by them.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
Any Glen . .
Glen Miller, Glen Campbell . . .

(I have been waiting for a long time to use that line)

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Islay fan myself, but the dew of the glen should be always appreciated in whatever malting....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Johnnie Walker Black is actually a sipping Scotch. It's the Johnnie Walker Red that is intended for mixed drinks. There is actually a rather wide range of Johnnie Walker Scotches. While I am certain that I'll probably miss a few you have in price low to high the Red, Black, Double Black, Green, Blue, and probably a Platinum somewhere in the mix. BTW, there are also a multitude of the Johnnie Walker Blue. The run of the mill Blue usually retails for about 200 dollars per fifth but there have been some special reserve releases of the Blue that can fetch 50,000 dollars per fifth. That's the thing about Blended Scotches, some variants may have a fair bit of whiskey that is pulled from a 100 year old or older cask.

Personally, I cannot tell the difference between the Double Black and the Blue so I naturally gravitate to the Double Black. However if the budget is a bit pinched a bottle of the standard Black can stand in quite well. For me the major difference between the two is the Double Black just a tiny bit smoother going down.

BTW, my BIL has a bottle of Jameson's Special Reserve that is only available in the factory store that is the smoothest whiskey that I have ever experienced. Those looking for an alternative to Scotch or Bourbon may want to consider trying a premium Irish Whiskey because some are excellent.

PS; this thread is one I probably shouldn't have wandered into. Because until the Cariologist says I am 100% healed from my Heart Surgery I have to be 100% alcohol free. Note, I'm hoping that will happen in mid January. At that point I'll be in a bit of a quandary as to what to break the fast with. One option is a shot of Double Black, the second option is a shot of Blanton's Single Cask.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
One option is a shot of Double Black, the second option is a shot of Blanton's Single Cask.

Hope you are cleared soon and have a complete recovery.

I just had a discussion about Blanton’s with my doc yesterday. I feel safe in saying Blanton’s is doctor recommended. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It’s filtered through dead people and critters. Bourbon isn’t.

It’s also an acquired taste. Wink

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
What does Glenlivet taste like for someone really only familiar with Jack Daniels?

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Like others have said, Glenlivet is a middle of the road single while the black is actually a great blend- but not for mixing....johnnie red is fine for mixing...

xxxxxxxxxxxx

For gift giving:

The Macallan 12- single malt....not peaty, nice favors, do not mix it , it's meant to be drank neat or with a dash of mineral water or one ice cube

The Macallan-Fine Oak 10yo...

If you know they guy likes smokey flavored..Johnnie Walker DOUBLE black

it's bad form to mix scotch so If you are not sure then just ask!

When I had my stroke, one of my co-workers brought me a bottle of Dewars-The Ancient (I think it's 12yo) and after the doc said I could imbibe again, it was suprisingly good with a chunk of ice..

There are a lot of whisky's out there from blechhhh to OMG this tastes like a giant took a piss thru a tire that was on fire and drained thru a swamp...into this glass....

and there are some that will taste like a mix of almond, fruit, maybe some wine flavor and have the color of amber and honey in the sunshine...

enjoy!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glennlivett 12 year is a good scotch and my favorite (unless you go to 15/18 year).

Johnny walker black is liked by some people and has a following that's fairly strong......but to me it's like the Bacardi of the rum world......a name and it tastes like turpentine. It's a blended scotch.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post