SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Some Golf Help Please
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Golf Help Please Login/Join 
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Borrow a 6 or 7 iron for a day or two and use that to take a lesson. You only need one club.
That will give you the basics to concentrate on. Grip, stance, alignment, ball position, swing shape.
After that, a fitter will have enough to work with.

I wish you would have posted this 3 months ago!
I gave away a set of Callaway irons and some Taylormade fairway woods from an old set that were gathering dust.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Many believe that putting is the most important skill. It is important, but analysis over the past few years (made possible by the PGA keeping data about every single shot hit) shows that while putting is important, that the biggest contributor to lower scores (at least at the good golfer level) is the approach shot, or shot into the green. It makes sense - if your approaches land 10 feet from the hole, you will make a fair number of one puts and two puts. It is harder to three put from ten feet out.

If you are an atrocious putter, with six or eight three puts each round, you should practice your putting. But once you get to be a decent putter, practice your iron shots. Get them close to the hole.

on the third hand... it is very hard to make an 8 on a hole if you hit a good drive. so practice your driving! Smile

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Many believe that putting is the most important skill. It is important, but analysis over the past few years (made possible by the PGA keeping data about every single shot hit) shows that while putting is important, that the biggest contributor to lower scores (at least at the good golfer level) is the approach shot, or shot into the green. It makes sense - if your approaches land 10 feet from the hole, you will make a fair number of one puts and two puts. It is harder to three put from ten feet out.

If you are an atrocious putter, with six or eight three puts each round, you should practice your putting. But once you get to be a decent putter, practice your iron shots. Get them close to the hole.

on the third hand... it is very hard to make an 8 on a hole if you hit a good drive. so practice your driving! Smile

I've proven this to be wrong many times. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
drive for show

putt for dough

was true in the 30's, and is still true today

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
So years ago I worked at a very large Denver based sporting goods store. I talked with the guy that ran the golf department (who had his PGA card). he said buy a good set of clubs then spend the rest of the money on lessons. I've also heard you want to take a golf stance and look down at the clubs. You have to like the look and feel of the clubs. You don't want to walk up to take a shot, look down and say - I wish I bought that other set (that looked better).

When I got back into the game I took lessons and the pro provided clubs. We worked together until I figured out what was working best - then I purchased a set.

Have fun.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If you can't putt you can't win.
But if you can't drive you can't play.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
“Success is moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” — Winston Churchill

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
that right there is a perfect description of my game Smile

I keep going back

I usually have one or two holes where I can par, one hole a birdie but the rest are bogies.

I am now a 17 handicap and I am OK with that - if I could play 3 times a week I could make single digits but not with my workload - I just don't have the time to develop a nice repetitive swing

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
As I and others said, don't break the bank on the first set of clubs. If you find a set that work for you, stick with them. I play a set of Ping Eye 2 BeCu (Copper Beryllium) irons that are forever old, but for me the feel and swing just does it; they have a classic look and feel I don't get with any other clubs.

You'll find a set (likely not the most expensive, mind you) and will know it when you feel it. Look hard at craigslist and eBay this time of year, "season" is over for much of 'Merica and the costs are cheaper vs springtime.

You know a good clean set of Eye 2s in BeCu are worth thousands? Especially with ZZ Lite shafts. Condition is everything.

Yes, I was aware that they're becoming unobtanium, but not that they're worth that much. I don't recall what shaft is on them now, though at one time I did. Think they're some kind of stiff flex.

Regardless, they're at their "forever home" now, so monies be damned-can't find any more to replace them!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
Borrow a 6 or 7 iron for a day or two and use that to take a lesson. You only need one club.
That will give you the basics to concentrate on. Grip, stance, alignment, ball position, swing shape.
After that, a fitter will have enough to work with.

I wish you would have posted this 3 months ago!
I gave away a set of Callaway irons and some Taylormade fairway woods from an old set that were gathering dust.

CMR,

I have a Taylormade Speed Blade 6 iron with a stiff graphite shaft that you can have, if you want it. You just gotta come to the Willow Grove area to get it.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I hope you find your clubs and enjoy playing, sounds like you might be a natural! Getting fit for clubs is stated frequently to be one of the best ways to lower scores and I agree.

The clubs you posted might be a tougher iron to learn with than a game improvement type iron but a fitter will be able to determine that for you.
I’m playing as a 7 handicap and still use a game improvement iron and don’t have any plans to move towards a blade type iron.

I also play with used golf balls from eBay and lostgolfballs.com and places like that. You will lose lots of balls and I don’t recommend new ones.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post