SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Some Golf Help Please
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Golf Help Please Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I hit Taylor Made. They're not true cavity backs but feel like them. Maybe try renting a couple of different sets and see which one you like best. Short of renting most golf shops (at least in my area) have indoor driving ranges where you can demo many different types. Clubs are like guns, pick the ones that feel good to YOU.

I thought the key to golf was “if it feels good, you are doing something wrong.”

Too bad nobody had ever seen left handed clubs back then.

Our jr. High principal was the golf pro at the local course, and we could play after school for a nickel. Quite a few of the most hilarious events of my youth occurred on that golf course.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Golf can become a very expensive pastime as has already been mentioned. I probably would have paid off our house earlier than I did if I didn't take up the game. It can become a rabbit hole very easily if you become addicted like I did. That said, because of health issues I've given it up and I miss it terribly. Once you establish a handicap you will be able to compete equally with anybody, even a pro. Keep it fun and the game will be very rewarding.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Dont get lessons, golf is a mental game, youll start to over think it then Smile

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I suggest starting with a decent set of used cavity backed but make sure you get them fitted. For a few hundred bucks you should be able to get a full set used. Golf clubs don't really wear out. Play for six months. If you really dig it then buy a new set. When I buy a new set I go to a golf store and hit every set of irons I am interested in. There is usually a set that works better for me than any other set. If you are really scoring 80 or less, you can consider a set of blade irons. Allow for much more workability but really don't like slight mis-hits.

I also agree with no lessons at this point. Once you get a nice consistent swing you can consider lessons. I've always been terrified of lessons as I really don't like thinking too much when I play.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Ahhh golf. The best, most rewarding, wonderfully joyous game Satan ever thought of.

Your desire for lessons and the suggestions of getting fitted for clubs are spot on. So is going to a course and renting a set to see if you REALLY want to play more.
BE VERY CAREFUL buying clubs online except from a manufacturer. There are a BUNCH of clones being sold - you don't want them!
Sites like: Taylormade preowned or Callaway preowned are examples of the only ones online I would trust.
Try a golf store that has fitting bays to hit in for a taste of what clubs might suit you. You are under no obligation to buy.
There are also demo days at course driving ranges, (I personally dislike hitting indoors), look at the manufacturers sites to see if any are scheduled in an area close to you.
Here is what I'm talking about.

My golf bag has 5 diffferent makes in it, you don't have to be married to just one.
(Taylormade driver & irons, Callaway fairway wood, Cleveland wedges and Ping putter)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it hasn’t been stated already, fitted clubs can make a world of difference.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
I also agree with no lessons at this point. Once you get a nice consistent swing you can consider lessons.

Respecfully disagree.

Starting out, would you have rather learned a proper swing and have it be the only one you know or would you like rebuild and fix flaws? Starting with lessons gives you the first - self taught (or worse, friends) gives you the second.
The "I don't want to be thinking too much when I play" is the fault of grooving an improper swing without instruction and then spending what seems like forever trying to fix it.
Feel isn't real and you need a trained set of eyes. The faster you get those eyes working for you, the better.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Hello, my name is dsiets and I've not played a round of golf in 10+yrs.

Just so you know, the "4-man Scramble" is not how the actual game of golf is played. Wink

I vote lessons asap. I started out w/ instruction from friends back in HS. By the time I got professional help, my bad habits were hard to change.

Posts: 7351 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Yes, lessons.

You can groove a bad swing on your own, and then spend years trying to unlearn bad habits. Some players do okay with a bad swing, but it takes a lot more talent.

Better to learn a good grip, a good setup, and a good swing in the first place.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this is the absolute best that you will ever be, quit while you are ahead and be content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_2KWie9hAQ

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
I also agree with no lessons at this point. Once you get a nice consistent swing you can consider lessons.

Respecfully disagree.

Starting out, would you have rather learned a proper swing and have it be the only one you know or would you like rebuild and fix flaws? Starting with lessons gives you the first - self taught (or worse, friends) gives you the second.
The "I don't want to be thinking too much when I play" is the fault of grooving an improper swing without instruction and then spending what seems like forever trying to fix it.
Feel isn't real and you need a trained set of eyes. The faster you get those eyes working for you, the better.

I agree 100% here, I wish I would have started younger(started at 39) and taken lessons from the get go. I am chasing bad habits learned from other golfers and damn YOUTUBE videos.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Kim Jong Il round of golf.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Golf is a gateway drug to trap shooting and sporting clays. Any amount you spend on golf, you will spend 20 times that when you figure out next that you like trap and clays.

too bad you are on the other side of the state, most all of my friends have at least one or more of my old putters or drivers. Yes, yes, I know I have a problem. But I can golf, because I don't have that OTHER four letter word......WIFE. Big Grin

Posts: 215 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I consider golf courses a terrible waste of a great rifle range.

Posts: 4022 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
go o a Golf and Ski Warehouse, or a Golf Tech location and try out number of different clubs - same club different manufacturers and see which feel the best. The try hitting the set.

I have two putters - both are simple blade putters - never got hooked on all the fancy alignment marks and gizmos.

Drivers are personal preference but Big Bertha is popular.

Whatever you end up getting, spend a few extra bucks and get them fitted to you, not the production line. They can modify the shaft length, change the loft and lie and model it to your swing.

Have a blast.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Par can be somewhat relative.

Depending on what tees/course you played, there could be as much as a 3000-yard difference in length. I’ve shot 4-under on an “executive” 5500 yard course, and struggled to break 80 from the 7000-yard tees.

The assumption of par is based on whether you followed the Rules of Golf. No improved lies or “fluffing the ball”, no grounding clubs in bunkers, taking the correct number of penalty strokes when required, and so on.

If you did score par on half the holes per the Rules, then my hat is off to you!

Your best option IMHO is to look for a PGA Superstore or similar in your area, buy a good quality set of irons from the used rack (you can also buy a driver, 3-wood, and at least one hybrid wood), and go play. Find a course where you can establish a handicap (usually a small annual fee), join a league, and see where the game takes you. Most of all, enjoy it.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Willie Nelson had a ranch outside Austin where he had a golf course that he and Saint Darrell Royal played nearly every day.

One day, some sports scribblers caught up to them and asked Willie about it, “what’s par on your golf course?”

Nelson said, “It’s whatever I say it is. Today, it was 108!”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:

Depending on what tees/course you played, there could be as much as a 3000-yard difference in length. I’ve shot 4-under on an “executive” 5500 yard course, and struggled to break 80 from the 7000-yard tees.

The assumption of par is based on whether you followed the Rules of Golf. No improved lies or “fluffing the ball”, no grounding clubs in bunkers, taking the correct number of penalty strokes when required, and so on.

If you did score par on half the holes per the Rules, then my hat is off to you!

Your best option IMHO is to look for a PGA Superstore or similar in your area, buy a good quality set of irons from the used rack (you can also buy a driver, 3-wood, and at least one hybrid wood), and go play. Find a course where you can establish a handicap (usually a small annual fee), join a league, and see where the game takes you. Most of all, enjoy it.

We only played 9, and I have absolutely no reason to lie to a group of guys that I'll likely never meet, but that I've also shared some of the biggest failures in my life with. I'm not saying I'm a good golfer, I've only played once... in my life. I did well enough that the groom who was 9 under the day before was pissy with me. I can almost also guarantee if I golfed tomorrow after thinking about it and talking about it for the past few days, is likely be frustrated to the point I wouldn't want to play again.

i don't know what penalty strokes mean, or grounding clubs.. we played "best ball" as teams, my ball was the best on all but two holes. I dont really care at all if people believe I did as well as I said I did. That wasn't the point of the post in the first place. I want to actually learn to play the game.. I've gotten involved in hobbies before where I dove in head first and wasted a LOT OF MONEY. It'd be nice to not do that again!

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Great time of year to look on craigslist and find whatever suits you. If you go get measured, you can find out what "dot" and length you need on Pings, for example, then find that for a fraction of the price on craigslist. If it's anything like my area, there are dozens of sets for sale.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:

We only played 9, and I have absolutely no reason to lie to a group of guys that I'll likely never meet, but that I've also shared some of the biggest failures in my life with. I'm not saying I'm a good golfer, I've only played once... in my life. I did well enough that the groom who was 9 under the day before was pissy with me. I can almost also guarantee if I golfed tomorrow after thinking about it and talking about it for the past few days, is likely be frustrated to the point I wouldn't want to play again.

i don't know what penalty strokes mean, or grounding clubs.. we played "best ball" as teams, my ball was the best on all but two holes. I dont really care at all if people believe I did as well as I said I did. That wasn't the point of the post in the first place. I want to actually learn to play the game.. I've gotten involved in hobbies before where I dove in head first and wasted a LOT OF MONEY. It'd be nice to not do that again!

You can’t post what you did, having never played, and not expect to take a little flak. You would have been under par if not for hitting (presumably) OB or putting?

A best ball, or scramble, isn’t a traditional “play the ball as it lies” format.

The groom was -9 the day before?

Maybe we’re talking different scoring criteria here.

However, all that said, my advice still stands. Go play, have fun, and learn the Rules of the Game for maximum enjoyment! Looks like PA has a few Golf Galaxy stores, including near Berwyn. You can try clubs in the indoor hitting bays or simulators.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post