SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Some Golf Help Please
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Golf Help Please Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
I was in the outer banks this past weekend for a wedding and the groomsmen all played golf.. I've never played in my life, but figured what the hell, and I was GOOD! I hit par on half the holes, and if you took putting out of the equation (and moved a few houses back), I'd have been under. I sunk one from the sand box (?) and got on the green twice on a par 4 (dumb luck Im sure)

So now I want some clubs. My biz partner who is an avid golfer said I want to look at "cavity backed" clubs, and a super expensive set may be more challenging for me to learn with than a good beginner set.

I want to get a driver immediately and start taking some lessons, does anyone have a driver for sale? Or can you point me towards a good, forgiving one for a beginner?

I was thinking maybe something like this:

https://www.globalgolf.com/gol...Ia00JVgaArt-EALw_wcB

then I just need a driver and putter.

What's everyone think?

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
I was in the outer banks this past weekend for a wedding and the groomsmen all played golf.. I've never played in my life, but figured what the hell, and I was GOOD! I hit par on half the holes, and if you took putting out of the equation (and moved a few houses back), I'd have been under. I sunk one from the sand box (?) and got on the green twice on a par 4 (dumb luck Im sure)

So now I want some clubs. My biz partner who is an avid golfer said I want to look at "cavity backed" clubs, and a super expensive set may be more challenging for me to learn with than a good beginner set.

I want to get a driver immediately and start taking some lessons, does anyone have a driver for sale? Or can you point me towards a good, forgiving one for a beginner?

I was thinking maybe something like this:

https://www.globalgolf.com/gol...Ia00JVgaArt-EALw_wcB

then I just need a driver and putter.

What's everyone think?

It only gets worse from here.

Posts: 2933 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It only gets worse from here.

LOL
Yep.... it's a fun game that will suck you in.
My Dad played all the time until shoulder surgery and it became too painful.
I play occasionally, but could easily get hooked.
It's fun to be outside, on a pretty golf course. It makes for a pleasant day.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
If you made par on a number of holes the first time you golfed, you are either a natural or the luckiest SOB on the planet. Seriously!

As has already been mentioned, it will only go down hill from there until you get lessons and practice a few times a week.

As far as clubs go, have a pro help out. You won't need high end, expensive clubs for quite awhile until you have developed a consistent swing. Work on that first.

Good luck.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Second hand sporting goods shop.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Taylor Made is the most popular driver, but any of the big makers make a fine driver. Callaway. Ping. Cobra. Titleist. Mizuno. You don't know what you like yet. Many golf stores have a section of used clubs, so perhaps buying a used driver is a good option, as a new premium driver is $400 to $500. Golfers are always trading equipment, hoping that it turns out to be the equipment after all, so there will be a good selection of used clubs.

Same for irons. Used is a good option. Or last years model. They bring out new clubs at least once a year and the irons from last year will sell for 75% of the cost of the latest and greatest. Ebay can be a good source if you know what you want.

I'd find a good locally owned shop, and go in and ask for some help. They will be able to help you find something that will suit you, at least physically, since you don't really have a golf swing yet. A standard set will fit most people well enough. Unless you are very tall or short or have some other odd physique, a standard set will be pretty close to right.

And take some lessons. Let me say it again. Take some lessons. A good teaching pro will be more help that buying any particular clubs.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
I would suggest to go to a place where you can be professionally fitted for clubs that are best suited to you. Do not be afraid to try various manufacturers clubs. Do not let the design of a particular club influence your decision. Play the clubs that look good to you but more importantly play the clubs that give you the best results. I was once fitted at a Golfsmith facility for my particular set of clubs and it was a great experience. I finally decided on one brand of irons, another brand on hybrids and a driver.

In other words do not get hung up on the cosmetics but the results a club can offer you as an individual. What works for me might not be a great fit for you.

Hit them straight and long!

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
If you made par on a number of holes the first time you golfed, you are either a natural or the luckiest SOB on the planet. Seriously!

Jim

I'm going with luck! I am good at some really random stuff though.

This was a drive on a par 4 (if I recall correctly)

I got stuck in this sand box

and chipped it to within 3" of the hole.

the rest of the wedding party weren't happy Big Grin

I DID whack a few houses though.

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

And take some lessons. Let me say it again. Take some lessons. A good teaching pro will be more help that buying any particular clubs.

oh I'm 100% going to take a lesson a week (time permitting)

from this past weekend it seems like I could get away with a driver, 5 hybrid (I think thats what it was called) a couple irons, and a putter. I can't see myself using 14, or even 10 clubs in the immediate future

├┼┼╕
246R

Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I have a putter purchasing problem. I can quit anytime. The nice part about golf is that if you hit a ball in the woods, the odds of finding it are slim but the odds of walking out of the woods with a pocket full of other golfers balls are amazing. That came out wrong.

Posts: 1983 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
I would look for a nice set of cavity backs, last years models will be available for about the same pricing. I would personally go to store and try them out then look online for the deal.

I like Golf Deals and Steals for shopping for drivers. Sign up for their deal of the day email and about once every 2 weeks some really good deals pop up.

http://golfdealsandsteals.com/deal-of-the-day/

If you think your going to like the game then don't buy a cheap putter, Look at a custom fitted Bettanardi. they are a bit more money but you will not be sorry.

https://bettinardi.com

I know going to the factory and being fitted is probably not a option, but there are dealers that are available for the same experience. When I did it cost me 350 or so, i think it has gone up a little one the past couple of years. One of the cool things about Bettinardi is they are made here in the USA and are a pro2A company. i actually think part of their business is GOV contracts.

hope this helps.

Shawn

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Glad you had fun! Golf is the sport for a lifetime. I assume that you are younger than middle age and are fit. Average height. Shop a golf specialty shop and the golf department of a large sporting goods chain, such as Dick's. Tell them you want a starter set. If you are tall (74"), you should use a longer shafted iron set. Learn the rules and etiquette. Dress neatly (no cargo shorts, please). If you continue to hit houses, get a fake ID and pay cash. When you break 90 (count all the misses and penalties!), you are on your way to golf nirvana and can buy a better set.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the recommendations. I could see myself sticking with it, I get invited all the time by my clients, so this will be good for networking too (after I figure out how to stop whacking peoples houses)

::edit:: im 6', so 72" and 32 years old in november

├┼┼╕
246R

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Here is the true story of another legendary first round of golf:

http://www.golf.com/golf-plus/...ls-famous-round-golf

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
There is a phone number you should have, 1-800-JUSTSAYNO.

When you have an urge to go to a golf course, or a golf gear shop, etc, give them a call. Someone will help you. It’s not cheap, but far less expensive than golf.

What you have experienced is how they reel you in. Your first round, you are wondering why those guys make fortunes playing such an easy game that even a beginner like you can do easily. It’s only after thousands of dollars in equipment, and more thousands in green fees that you begin to realize that it isn’t as easy as it first seemed. Then you feel like a fool, and worse, you are stuck with all those weird clothes! Now, you have no choice but to join the guys like you and entice others, to “network.”

Run, while you still can!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
The reason it's named "Golf" is because all the other four letter words were taken.

I wish I'd never picked up the game. I'm never as good as I think I should be, nor will I ever be. But that doesn't stop me from being pissed at myself for not hitting a shot only a PGA professional could hit.

Seriously, stop now. Before it sucks you in and never lets you go! Smile

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Go to your local course as soon as possible, rent a set of clubs, and play another round. You will most likely suck wildly and curse profusely. This will hopefully satiate your desires to continue down a fool's path.

On the other hand, if you do the above and have the same result as your first round I suggest you quit your job and go at golf full time as you are surely decended from Titleist, the almighty God of golf.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never played in my life,....... I hit par on half the holes
Eek

Like everyone says ~ Go get fitted and get a couple lessons too.
Virtually every major brand is good but you want some clubs to maximize your physical capabilities.
So don't get hung up on Taylormade vs Titleist vs Cleveland vs .....etc > ALL GOOD if properly matched.

PS looking at those Titlist clubs in the first post:
Don't do it.
A fitter will measure for length, lie, proper shaft flex, correct grip size and texture and put you in an optimal head (those will be more of a weighted cavity back aka game improvement clubs).
I would forgo the 3I and maybe a 4I for utility woods (metal actually).
Then they will put you in a putter that works for you although trial and error on putters is quite common (just ask me how many I have been through). Frown

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hit Taylor Made. They're not true cavity backs but feel like them. Maybe try renting a couple of different sets and see which one you like best. Short of renting most golf shops (at least in my area) have indoor driving ranges where you can demo many different types. Clubs are like guns, pick the ones that feel good to YOU.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post